Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I thought Smudge was going to be a dane.. But for many of your originally stated reasons I got another cocker. Danes, dobes, afghans, and a few other bigger breeds are still on my like list, but portability again.. Easier to put three dogs under 30 pounds in my car along with their gear.. So pup three is looking to be o a similar size too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

If I were you, at this point, I would go with puppy or adult small breed. PERSONALLY unless I found an adult in rescue that I had to have, I'd get a puppy. I just enjoy raising puppies. But I have a huge soft spot in my heart for adult rescues (or any rescue really, but I know you want a certain temperament) because of Chloe. So that'd be a hard call for me. But yeah, that's my advice. I say small breed because you can take them both with you places with a lot less hassle. When I had Dixie and Lucy, they were basically like one dog, a package deal. We took them everywhere with us together.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Dog size was never a question for me - I need them big enough to not make me panic about having them at the barn, and small enough to sling around and take everywhere. I wouldn't go smaller than Gusto (25 lbs) and wouldn't go much over 40 lbs.

Age? Good lord, I will never do a puppy again. I'm glad I did it once (sort of) but no. I got Meg at one year, and molded her into what I wanted just fine. I've loved Gusto all along, but I don't even want to do a puppy again. 10 months to 1.5 years - perfect. Young, very trainable, ready to start doing hikes and harder play.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

We decided on the 30 lbs range due to travel considerations. We like to take the dogs with us and Watson and Menchi are just a comfortable size. They are small enough to both fit in the car and go on longer drives without issues. I also like that I can pick each one up and carry them if I need too

I like getting a puppy, but I would not say no to a young adult or adult if the dog fit in well.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

I like adults, and I know I won't ever have a puppy again. I didn't enjoy Katy's puppy hood, and she's not the dog I would have chosen knowing her now as pretty much an adult. We're not a good fit at all.

I like with adults, you know what you are getting with regards to looks and personality.

My Photos
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
such sights to show you

I have always preferred large dogs, but my tastes were getting smaller and smaller... which is why I got Squash, anticipating him being around his mom's size, but... not. I think ideally right around 40-50# is the perfect size for me, which I consider smallish compared to dogs I've had in the past. Although I do like my big Squashies, too. There's something to be said for a dog you can pet without having to lean over at all.

As far as adult vs puppy... I had never gotten a wee puppy before Squash. I had always been a fan of the 6-9 month old puppy to adult. As much as I hate, hate, hated some things about puppyhood (*cough*housetraining*cough*) I agree with Linds that going through that sponge brain stage with them, watching him learn how to learn and tweaking things that come up has been something I've enjoyed. I'd never really been a puppy person before, but now I feel like I could just go any which was as far as age goes depending on where I was getting a dog from and under what circumstances.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

We will not speak of Argon, since he was thrown into my lap and is not a all what I would have chosen for myself. Great dog, but not the best match for me or my situation.

When I chose Gambit...well, I wanted a male dog, since Argon does not accept mature females. I wanted something a little larger then him, but not large enough that I couldn't lift it or Argon would be intimidated. After much consulting on Chaz and in real life, I determined I was a good fit for whippets, BC's and Aussies. I knew I wanted a short coat. I knew I wanted a dog about 6-8 months old. Old enough that there would be no evil puppy stage, young enough to train and mold into what I wanted. Plus, the wait wouldn't be as long before I could start him in agility.

Instead I brought home a semi-feral coydog who will never compete in anything, unless its a crazy contest. Granted, I should have backed out the minute I saw him, and knew that the shelter had screwed me big time, but I couldn't leave him there, which is what I'm sure they were counting on.

Next time,thought, if I don't go the breeder route for a whippet or windhound, I'm going with an adult dog I can foster first or a much younger puppy.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I prefer small dogs and puppies.

Actually, I prefer "older" puppies (4-6 months old). Emma's breeder keeps her puppies until they're around that age to evaluate them for showing. It's nice having all of the hard work done for you! They're still very much puppies at that age, but they're not as difficult as 2-3 month old puppies.

Since I have multiple dogs, I find it easier to incorporate puppies in with them. I can mold them into the adult dogs I want them to be. If I came across the perfect adult dog, though, I'd consider it as well. I just would rather seek out puppies.

I don't think I ever want a large dog. Rory weighs 35lbs, and I prefer dogs to be his size or smaller. Easily portable

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I grew up with large dogs. Labs, shepherds, rotties, huskies...it's all I ever knew. Then when I was in a position to get my own dog (married, stable job, on my own), I found myself living in an apartment with a 30 lb weight limit. Enter, 25 lb Lucy.

I. LOVE. IT.

I will never again go to a large dog. I think her size is absolutely perfect. She's not frou frou at all. She wrestles and rough houses with the best of them. My husband walks her without feeling emasculated (lol). She has the stamina to go for hours. She doesn't feel fragile at all like some small dogs I've handled.

At the same time, she easily fits in the car, she doesn't take up the whole couch or bed, I can carry her upstairs to the bathroom when she's a mud puddle after a walk through the woods, she eats less, and she will hopefully have the longer lifespan small breeds tend to have.

I think the smallest I'd ever be comfortable with is around 15 lbs, and the largest 30 lbs. It's a really narrow window, but it's what fits my wants.

Oh. And no puppies. Ever. So much work, so much frustration, so many social limitations, etc. We got Lucy at 3, and it was PERFECT. She never had an accident in the house, never chewed a thing, never had to be crated, and she could hold it all day while we were at work (no need for a dog walker or to use vacation hours to walk the dog...) She was still ridiculously springy and energetic, and just now at 7 or 8 is starting to be a calmer, more mellow dog.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

I haaaaaaate 8 week old puppies. They need to be at least 10-12 weeks from a good breeder. I just don't like 8 week old puppies have the learning capacity to crate and potty train consistently. Ideally a 3-5 month old started pup would be great, for me.