Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Are you against sales?
Yes, I think all products should stay full price to remain exclusive 0 0%
Yes, I'm against sales because they lower the revenue for a company 0 0%
Yes, I'm against sales for other reasons 0 0%
No, I love sales- who can argue with lower priced merchandise?! 51 89.47%
No, I'm not against sales but I do not support sales- I only pay full price! 0 0%
Other 1 1.75%
Chicken Enchiladas! 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Ok I'm on my cell so forgive me if this doesn't come out right. I choose other.

I don't disagree with sales and use them a lot.

But I do disagree with someone who shouldn't be spending money on non necessities justifying the purchase just because it is on sale.

An example is if the collar is normally 100 but you usually only budget 75 in for dog stuff go crazy on that sale. If you only have 80 to use period and you use the sale to justify not using your money wisely then I'm definitely against the action...

I guess I'm more against the irresponsible actions people use the sale to justify instead of the sale.
Oh yea. To me, that is a totally different issue. Sale or not.. that's irresponsibly spending. It's not the sales fault.
I also hate the "Ok, I know it's a lot of money and I won't be able to pay my rent.. BUT HARRODS WAS HAVING THE BEST CHRISTMAS SALE!"

No. You deal with your responsibilities FIRST. Sales (and all luxury/fun extras) regardless of how great a deal/how much the item usually is/how much you "saved" figuratively..Sales and luxury/extra purchases should be bought with money that isn't needed for necessities.

It's also really annoying because people pull the "Oh but think of how much I've SAVED..this all would've been ______$ full price!"
point is.. you didn't NEED all that stuff. You wouldn't have bought it all at full price. Sooo.. you probably should've paid your rent.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I usually only buy things on sale. I hate to pay full price for anything that is not a necessity.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

This is actually Under Armor's philosophy. I have a good friend who works in their corporate office, and he's explained to me that in order to maintain their status as a highly coveted, desirable brand, they never go on sale, never accept coupons, never clearance out, etc. (Any store that does those things is technically in violation of their contract with UA and can have their right to sell the merchandise revoked).

Apparently it's working, because they are stealing market share like crazy from Nike/Adidas/etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

If something is really expensive and I want to try it, I'll only ever buy it on sale. I will never buy full price for something that I am trying out. No way, no how.

I also don't think low/sale prices = bad product. That sounds like hoity toity throw money around just because you can crap. Price doesn't equal status. Ever. There are plenty of high priced goods that I could care less for, and have no issues bashing them for creating crappy products for ridiculous prices.

I love sales, generally. Clearance is better.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Taxiderpy

That person's argument made me lol.

I guess if the only reason you buy something is not because you actually like the item and solely because nobody else has it, yeah that would kind of "ruin" its value to you. The solution in that case is to pay a craftsman to make you a custom item and sign some exclusivity agreement that they won't produce one like it for anyone else.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

I love sales!

There are certain things I will only buy when they're at a reduced price - I just can't justify paying full-price. I wear jeans at work, and my job involves a lot of moving and lifting and bending, and I wear out a pair of jeans fast. So, I buy them at thrift stores or on clearance - I don't want to pay $60 for a pair of jeans that may only last a month or two. I only buy dog toys when they go on clearance (either at my work or at Petsmart/Petco) because Jack is going to destroy that toy just the same whether it cost me $2 or $10. So, yes, when I find a good deal on those sorts of things, I'll stock up, because I know I'm going to use them eventually.

If I need something new (but it's not an immediate need), I will watch for a while to see if it goes on sale. I've known I needed a new printer for a while, so I found a bunch that I liked, and waited until one of them went on sale, and then bought it.

From a retail standpoint...I think sales are awesome! They bring new customers in, they move product, they create revenue (yes, you're selling things for less, but overall, you're selling MORE of them), they bring existing customers back, etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
such sights to show you

I don't... even understand why she cares what someone else paid for something.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
We are Home.

With 4 kids there is very little we pay full price for. I always shop around for the cheapest price for something.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

I don't care if there's a sale or not. If I want something and am willing to pay the price they're asking, I buy it. If I don't want it, and it's not on sale or if it's something they charge 1000 dollars for because it's "worth" it, well maybe for someone else, cause I wouldn't take it for 5 bucks either.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
*Now with Snark*

It's hard to say with sales who is cutting profit to move product. It could be the manufacturer or it could be the dealer. Most of the time it's impossible to tell where the profit margin is without seeing the paperwork.

Personally I almost never pay full retail for anything anymore. I get a ton of pro form opportunities through work so almost everything from shoes through cars is heavily discounted. It puts really good quality products into my realm of affordable and makes it possible for me to shop with the businesses I like on my current wages.