Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Are you against sales?
Yes, I think all products should stay full price to remain exclusive 0 0%
Yes, I'm against sales because they lower the revenue for a company 0 0%
Yes, I'm against sales for other reasons 0 0%
No, I love sales- who can argue with lower priced merchandise?! 51 89.47%
No, I'm not against sales but I do not support sales- I only pay full price! 0 0%
Other 1 1.75%
Chicken Enchiladas! 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Are you against sales?

Okay, so this is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while.

Someone online (let's call her Kate) said that she didn't like sales. If a company (for this example, it's dog collars!), normally charges $100 for a collar, it's expensive enough to where not everyone can afford it.

If these collars go on sale (or are resold on the used market), it lowers the "value" of the product. Since the collars are normally expensive enough to keep a lot of people "out," it "ruins" the luxury of only having them if you can afford them.

To sum it up, if you want a $30 collar, then you should buy a $30 collar- you shouldn't try to get a $100 collar for less than the non-sale price.

Still following me? Good!

Do you agree? Sort of agree? Disagree completely?

Like I said, I think it's ridiculous. People are still going to spend the full price to get something if they REALLY want it. I've bought a lot of things on sale, but I've also spent full price on many items. If you're selling something used, it is YOUR property and you can choose whatever price you want to sell it for.

Poll to come!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I have to agree..... that that is the most ridiculoous thing i have even heard.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

It would really depend n the item's actual worth - I couldn't see a collar being $100 unless it had gold on it or something. If it's overpriced because it's got some fancy name brand, then I don't see it as being 'marked down' so much as it's been priced properly.

And some people are not going to spend $100 on a collar, but might get the $30 one and really like the quality enough to spend $100 next time, who knows.

The people spending the $30 are doing the people who pay $100 a favor, because they get the stock cleared out too.

I used to work in a retail place and they had a clearance section, there were some awesome deals. For some things it was the 'right' price, for other things it was a great deal. I got a pair of dock shoes that I totally live in there and now would spend more to get the same brand, they're quite comfortable!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Resident fainting goat

Ridiculous. Sales have their place and they are awesome They help move product, helps products people LIKE become more accessible, help encourage people to buy.. they are useful and awesome.

It's RIDICULOUSLY elitist to only want something expensive because it's expensive and you only want other "rich" people to have it.

IMO You SHOULD be buying a $100 collar because you really love it, find that it's worth it/ think the quality matches the price.
Lowering the price,like for a sale, does NOT lower the quality or workmanship.
or If you are the kind of person that just loves the brand and is paying for the logo, FINE.. I get that and there is nothing wrong with that in itself.

but to love something because of the high price and only want people who paid the same price as you to have it.. is elitist and ridiculous.

Example. I love lacoste shirts. As a rule, I don't wear "brands" with logos on them usually, designer or no. I think it makes people look like billboards. But, I like lacoste shirts.. like the quality and love the little alligator.
They are $70 a shirt and last forever.. I LOVE them and I love sales.
As long as the quality didn't change, I wouldn't care if they went on sale for $10 each and everyone bought one as far as I'm concerned lol I got my money's worth with the $70 in my eyes.. so why would I care?

I do dislike black friday sales and things like that.. but that's because I hate crowds. The sales themselves I see no issue with lol
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Love My Mutt <3

LOL what?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
It would really depend n the item's actual worth - I couldn't see a collar being $100 unless it had gold on it or something. If it's overpriced because it's got some fancy name brand, then I don't see it as being 'marked down' so much as it's been priced properly.
Well, I've spent $100 on collars without gold. Well made collars with lifetime guarantees and good craftsmanship are worth it for me. I would gladly pay less with a sale, though, of course (and I have done so many times)!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Silence! I ban you!

It's the epitome of "snooty" to claim that buying something at less than full retail is somehow going to reduce the overall value of something.

I recently bought some used umpire equipment for a really great price from a guy who was retiring from the trade. He got some cash and I got a starter set to get me going. I've since priced new umpire equipment. The prices haven't crashed.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Example. I love lacoste shirts. As a rule, I don't wear "brands" with logos on them usually, designer or no. I think it makes people look like billboards. But, I like lacoste shirts.. like the quality and love the little alligator.
They are $70 a shirt and last forever.. I LOVE them and I love sales.
As long as the quality didn't change, I wouldn't care if they went on sale for $10 each and everyone bought one as far as I'm concerned lol I got my money's worth with the $70 in my eyes.. so why would I care?
I still have some Lacoste shirts I bought in college, and I still wear them! One of them in particular was bought with a REALLY good sale (like, the shirt was probably $30). I'd still wear it if it wasn't for Rory ripping the tag off, and causing a great big hole that can't be repaired.

I LOVE Lilly Pulitzer, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a sundress. No way, no how. I've caught sales where they're selling last season's dresses for under $100 a piece, which is awesome. I love the prints and patterns and if it wasn't for the sales, I wouldn't be buying it.

And collars/tags- I'm obsessed with Paco Collars and Fetching tags, and I wouldn't have so many if it wasn't for some excellent sales I've caught!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Ok I'm on my cell so forgive me if this doesn't come out right. I choose other.

I don't disagree with sales and use them a lot.

But I do disagree with someone who shouldn't be spending money on non necessities justifying the purchase just because it is on sale.

An example is if the collar is normally 100 but you usually only budget 75 in for dog stuff go crazy on that sale. If you only have 80 to use period and you use the sale to justify not using your money wisely then I'm definitely against the action...

I guess I'm more against the irresponsible actions people use the sale to justify instead of the sale.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Ok I'm on my cell so forgive me if this doesn't come out right. I choose other.

I don't disagree with sales and use them a lot.

But I do disagree with someone who shouldn't be spending money on non necessities justifying the purchase just because it is on sale.

An example is if the collar is normally 100 but you usually only budget 75 in for dog stuff go crazy on that sale. If you only have 80 to use period and you use the sale to justify not using your money wisely then I'm definitely against the action...

I guess I'm more against the irresponsible actions people use the sale to justify instead of the sale.
I feel as if irresponsible spenders are going to spend regardless of a sale or not. But yeah, I see what you mean- don't use sales as an excuse to purchase something you can't afford! You're not saving money by spending money on things you don't need!

For me, I feel like sales are a little bonus for shopping! If I'm planning on spending, say, $125 on a collar and there's a 15% off sale, then I "saved" myself almost $20 from what I was planning on spending. Or, if I want to spend $300 on clothing and there is a 40% off sale at the store I planned to go to, it allows me to buy more things for the amount of money I'm spending.