Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Are you dead yet?

Paco collars makes really nice, but really expensive leather collars and leashes. I like my dog's Ellas Lead collar, it held up to a LOT of abuse and still looks pretty good. Also not cheap, but less expensive than Paco.

My advice and personal opinion - order a double-layer latigo leather collar. No stitching in the leather, no suede lining, none of that fancy stuff because honestly from what I've seen, the regular double layer collars are the toughest. Get brown, tan or black leather that won't be as likely to stain her fur wacky colors.

For leashes I really, really like Northern Blackout. Her leads are made from bridle leather rather than latigo, so they need a little more conditioning to make them buttery soft, but they're extremely strong.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

I love Leerburg leather gear, it comes already nice and soft, while also thick and tough. I actually just got a package in the mail today, a new leather collar, lead, and harness from Leerburg!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

www.stillwaterkennelsupply.com

Not only are his collars and leads top of the line and super-duty durable, but he does custom orders and will add hardware for you as you desire.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Water Junkie

My Pacos have stood up to some rough pulling, and handled it very well. My Ella's Lead collar did stand up to the pulling, however, it bled when wet. My Pacos don't.

I have not tried another company yet for a lead, but Northern Blackout Leads is incredible. Super strong. My one lead has stood up to pulling, puppies, water, and herding.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Blackout

Thanks so much everyone! Great suggestions and I definitely will check all of them out!

I think I'll go with a good leather leash and get a spare one as well - but where would I go about getting a horse lead if need be?

I LOVE this collar from Ella's Lead though -

http://www.ellaslead.com/inc/sdetail/5080/5083

I know it's supposed to look western but it looks more Byzantine/Turkish to me almost.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

You can go to Greenhawk or any horse supply place for a lead, but I find them too big and bulky personally. I would give Leerburg's leads a try. They are very decently priced and if you get their largest size it should be more than enough strength.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Thanks so much everyone! Great suggestions and I definitely will check all of them out!

I think I'll go with a good leather leash and get a spare one as well - but where would I go about getting a horse lead if need be?

I LOVE this collar from Ella's Lead though -

http://www.ellaslead.com/inc/sdetail/5080/5083

I know it's supposed to look western but it looks more Byzantine/Turkish to me almost.
I LOVE my Ella's Lead collar I got a 'westerny' one that does look western lol. Yoshi is pretty rough on collars and this collar has held up incredibly well.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I have a few horse leads and eventually the novelty wore off, they're too big and not needed. I bought mine at a feed store locally though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

I have mostly EL stuff and we use it everyday. I love stillwater nylon collars and have a leather harness from him too.

Scout's leash is biothane and from dogsportgear.com. I also have a 10ft line from there that I use with my EL rope splitter so they can be "free" when we walk at the cemetary. It holds up to 110lbs of sled dog excited about squirrel, so I think its plenty sturdy LOL.

Definitely get HS for fursavers and prongs, its well worth the investment! My off brand chrome prong is getting some rust... I need to eventually buy a SS one that is actually HS. And if I ever pony up for fursavers I bet they'll wear them most of the time lol.

I really like our thick EL collars for walking, but then they don't really pull unless I give them the verbal okay to be jackasses about squirrels so yeah.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

You can NOT go wrong getting a leather lead from Leerburg. I have had 2 for over 10 years, and I have not treated them well. They still feel as good and with a bit of oil would like like the day i bought them. Excellent quality leather leashes.

HS fur savers are also great quality.

I'm not a fan of the non slip leashes, not because of the quality, but because handlers always have them for long lines it seems and they do grip, my effing ankles after i slip a sleeve or something and I can't step out of it as easily as the others

I don't use a harness either, just wide leather collar, then just fur saver. and I don't buy expensive ones. I go buy a wide calf leather calf collar from a tractor supply store and cut it down. 8 bucks vs 30, call me cheap