Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
"Issues" is such a broad term, it really depends on the dog and what she's struggling with. A shy dog with an alert handler holding a bag of treats, ready to intercept people closing in and give them treats for the dog could do a world of good.
Her dog is reactive to the point that she has to plan outtings where the dog won't see other people or people are pretty far off.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
"Issues" is such a broad term, it really depends on the dog and what she's struggling with. A shy dog with an alert handler holding a bag of treats, ready to intercept people closing in and give them treats for the dog could do a world of good.
Her dog is HR/HA, if I'm thinking of the right person

ETA: got distracted by work and yoko beat me to it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Ummm. Yoko, Yes, I'm going to plan what beach to take Serenity to because with all the noise, tons of people/dogs/objects, she'll freak out. It's a horrible idea to take her to a crowded place. So, yes, I make sure when I take her out, it isn't to packed beaches/swimming/hiking areas. She is fine with a few people here and there, a few groups of people here and there. That's fair enough, I don't expect her to love a crowded place.

-I can walk her in to town and she's fine. She wears a muzzle, just in case. She doesn't just try and suddenly attack people, she can get a nice pet without a issue and sometimes she enjoys it. She'd be wearing a muzzle with a 'pet me' sign so it would be clear she has issues and I'm sure people would ask.

-I need people to pet her to help her and I don't see the harm if she's wearing a muzzle because people know then she has issues. She isn't HA. She's a tad fearful at times but it's not all fear ether.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Actually, if she's under control, she's fine in a crowded place. It's a problem if I let her do her own thing with direction.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Your dog is reactive I still personally do not think putting a sign on your reactive dog is a good idea muzzle or not.

That invites people to touch your dog. You should be in control of the situation at all times and if random people think your dog is safe to pet you have no excuse if someone scares her enough to get a reaction before you can speak up.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Love My Mutt <3

So your going to take a fearful dog, put a muzzle on her and then force her to stand there and accept petting from strangers? Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

First, I have other ways to get people to pet her so no, I'm not getting the vest. It's a thought if I ever decide I'd like to possibly get more human interaction for her but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon.

-Yes, I sometimes do take her to places where I know she'll get a pet because that's helping her issues. I'm sure she doesn't love it but it's working, she's becoming more accepting of strangers and actually seeked attention a few weeks back from some one. I reward her as well.

-I am trying to help her, to see getting a pet isn't a bad thing, that being near a person isn't a bad thing and if allowing people to pet her/reward her will do that, I'll do it. It's been working. We still have a long way to go but I've seen positive progress.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Taxiderpy

I wasn't talking specifically about anybody's dog. Just that in some instances, inviting people to pet a dog with handler guidance can be a very good thing in helping the dog overcome something like shyness.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

I plan on getting a vest for Classic that says Do Not Pet. I am 100% effective in keeping people away but if that vest keeps even ONE person from trying to approach us I will call it a success. I get so incredibly stressed out having to be down right rude to people who want to pet him that it feeds off onto him which causes him to be more reactive. I'm in the camp that service dogs do not own vests and as sad as I will be if it affects someone's view on service dogs I don't really see that as a reality. If that person is so dim that they think my dog is a service dog just based on his vest I'm praying they arn't in a position to make policies regarding them.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've seen Megan work with her dog, she is very capable of fending off strangers. However, having a reactive dog myself I can vouch for her that it gets very overwhelming and stressful constantly doing that. As sucky as it is, there is no other way to help our dogs get past their issues other than bringing them in public and anything that helps make that easier is worth a shot.