Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Behavior Nerd

I've found tshirts on ME or the handler are more effective than anything on the dog for those that need space. I have a shirt that says "Dog in Training Please Stay Back" in large letters on the back and a client had one made with that on both front and back and she and I have both had good success.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Top Dog

I need a vest that sas 'Pet me!'

I want the opposite for my girl with issues, I need people to pet we so I can help her with her issues.

Maybe I should be looking to buy a vest..,
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

I also find "working dog" to be a misleading patch for a pet. "In traning" is fine by me, but "working dog" generally means the dog has a job, whether it's an SD or a SAR dog or what have you, and is actively working.
There are multiple forms of working dogs out there.

And I will say, OP, a nice scowl and "I'm better than you and can't be bothered with you" look helps keep people away from my dogs as a rule.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
There are multiple forms of working dogs out there.
And that's why I specifically stated "pet" and then listed multiple working dogs as an open-ended list
Old 08-01-2012, 01:11 AM
orange iguanas.

I've been looking for one of these too. For the same reason - we go into pet stores and everyone thinks my dog is public property. And she hates it.

I will say that, when she wears her backpack, people tend to think she's a srs working dog and don't get so grabby. But I also want it made clear to people DO NOT PET her.

I don't really care what kind of assumptions people want to make about me or my dog based on what she might be wearing. Like I said, even her backpack makes people think she is "special" and "working" when that's not it at all. She's just exercising. lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Are you dead yet?

Dude, you could have neon signs and strobelights on your dog, a warning siren if they come too close, and "do not pet" tattooed all over his face. People will still try to pet him if you aren't downright surly about insisting that they don't. It's stupid.

I do agree, "ask to pet" patches are probably a good idea, but don't expect them to work wonders. I like the julius-K9 harnesses too, and another thing I like is the webmaster or doubleback harness from ruffwear. They're large enough to hold a couple patches and they're very secure.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

Gambit had a vest with a huge stop sign patch ironed on each side. Next to it it said "Shy Dog, Do Not Pet". The stop sign was really nice, because even small kids knew what it meant.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
I need a vest that sas 'Pet me!'

I want the opposite for my girl with issues, I need people to pet we so I can help her with her issues.

Maybe I should be looking to buy a vest..,
I would not put a sign to pet my dog on a dog with issues.

I get wanting to work through them but putting a big pet me sign isn't the way to do that.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Just so you're aware, a lot of people stare curiously at my borzois but don't overtly try and pet them. The second I put a work vest on one and take them out EVERYBODY assumes the dog is now public property and that I'm trying to socialize them or something, and they'll just reach out and grab. Thankfully, the only with with problem is Kaia and she just gets distracted and wants to stare at them and lick them.

So... a vest may not have the desired effect. It might do exactly the opposite.
I agree. Especially bandanas. When I walked dogs for the rescue and shelter, they always put vests, bandanas, etc. on them - because it made people more likely to approach. Especially if it was a big, black dog or a "scary" breed like a GSD or pittie. Accessories seem to get people's attention and make the dog more approachable. At least in my experience.

I'm also well practiced at the "I'm better than you" scowl, LOL. Walking quickly, and having my dog trained to go to my other side on cue tends to help, too.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I would not put a sign to pet my dog on a dog with issues.

I get wanting to work through them but putting a big pet me sign isn't the way to do that.
"Issues" is such a broad term, it really depends on the dog and what she's struggling with. A shy dog with an alert handler holding a bag of treats, ready to intercept people closing in and give them treats for the dog could do a world of good.