Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

Default "Don't Pet Me"/"I'm Working" Vests?

I'm looking for a vest for Jack that says "Don't Pet Me" or "I'm Working" or something along those lines...something to discourage people from trying to pet him.

I'm looking for something fairly lightweight, as he gets hot easily, and also fairly inexpensive - under $50 shipped would be nice.

Does anyone have a company/brand that they really like?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

Julius k-9 has some nice ones.. Clean Run sells them for around $40 and the "labels" that attach to the side are like $4 each on ebay. You can get them to say anything.. even custom ones.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...&ParentCat=202
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
...ice road...

You can buy vests with patches already on them, but they're a lot more.

Normally, you just buy the patches separately and put them onto a vest/cape. The woman who made my vests isn't making them anymore, which is disappointing because I really liked her stuff

Here is a patch that is what you're looking for though - http://www.servicedoggear.com/WorkingDogDoNotPet.aspx

And they also have a vest/cape page -
http://www.servicedoggear.com/vests.aspx
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Behavior Nerd

I have liked the Raspberry Field vests I've gotten. They have a nice "Working - Do Not Pet" patch as well as some "In Training" ones.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm not a fan of using the vests for pet dogs. People will assume it's a service dog, and then when the dog acts NOT like a service dog, it reflects badly on service dogs.

I suppose to find the best solution, why is it that you want the vest? Is it people doing random petting annoy you, or is there a behavioral reason you want it? If it's the former, I recommend telling people to back off and not touch him. If it's the latter, then perhaps something like an anxiety wrap with a "Do not pet me, I'm _____" (shy, aggressive, reactive, whatever the problem may be) patch. Something that is definitely NOT service dog-like.

ETA: Something like this

With this on it

A bandanna with that patch could work well too. It's just that most people see "vest" and think "service dog." Many, many people with service dogs don't have actual "service dog" patches on the vest. Mine has "do not pet" patches, but not a "service dog" patch.

I also found this link but it seems to not be working at the moment http://www.thankfulpaws.com/deaf-blind-shy.htm

Last edited by Saeleofu; 07-31-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't think it's fair to presume service dogs have the market cornered on vests.

I have a leerburg vest with "Work Dog" on it. I like the julius K9 vests though, we sell them at my work and they feel nice.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't think it's fair to presume service dogs have the market cornered on vests.
Yep.

Having a whole coat like you linked on the dog is WAY different than a vest. And a bandana wouldn't really work, cause then people have to be right there to see the bandana

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I'm not a fan of using the vests for pet dogs. People will assume it's a service dog, and then when the dog acts NOT like a service dog, it reflects badly on service dogs.

If the OP intends on taking the dog into places where only service animals are allowed, then yes... that's a problem.

But just using a vest with a "Do Not Pet" patch on it while out in dog-friendly places shouldn't be reserved simply for service dogs.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Dafuq?

I got a vest like this one and put my own patches on it. I didn't want a service dog vest per se, just a brag vest, so people would be less likely to ask questions if they saw me working her off-leash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflective-D...item23186454e2

it came out like this.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

I suppose to find the best solution, why is it that you want the vest? Is it people doing random petting annoy you, or is there a behavioral reason you want it? If it's the former, I recommend telling people to back off and not touch him. If it's the latter, then perhaps something like an anxiety wrap with a "Do not pet me, I'm _____" (shy, aggressive, reactive, whatever the problem may be) patch. Something that is definitely NOT service dog-like.
It is for a behavioral reason. Jack is people reactive, and while it's getting SO MUCH BETTER with training, he is not okay with random people trying to pet him without asking. We have a "routine" for meeting people, and he does very well with it, but it doesn't work when someone rushes up and tries to pet him.

I definitely don't want him to be confused with a service dog! The idea of using a wrap with a patch sounds like it would work - I have both a Thundershirt for him, as well as a few solid color "t-shirt" type things that I could put a patch on. He is visually impaired (which no doubt contributes to the issues) as well, so if I could find a "I'm Blind...Don't Pet Me" or even just a "Don't Pet Me" one, I think it would work.