Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Default Job Vibes please (and interview tips!)

I have an interview tomorrow at 11 for a childcare center in a gym.

It's not really what I was "looking" for, but am honestly desperate for a job, so was happy to finally get a call back.

I still do petsitting on the side, but I lost my weekly customers back in January when I started college, and it's really sucked. So I've been tight for money.

Also, the gym is only 5 minutes from my house, and the hours are great. They said they mainly need me for mornings... 8-1 shift.

Anyways, the girl sounded really nice and laid back on the phone, but I haven't had an interview for a long time! I'm kinda nervous... I've just been doing pet sitting, and also working for my dads company and my moms salon behind the scenes for a few years now, so haven't had an interview since I was a senior in high school.

For a job like this, where it's obviously a gym and childcare, what do I wear? Jeans appropriate? I'll just have my hair straightened, and down, like I usually wear it. She told me not to even bring a resume, I'm just going to fill out an application form when I'm there, so they have everything. Should I bring a resume anyways?

I know this isn't like a "big" deal, and I have a good feeling I'm going to get the job, but I just seriously REALLY need the money, and I also loooovee the hours. lol.

So, vibes?

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Behavior Nerd

Lots of vibes!

For interviews for active jobs (dog training for me, but childcare def fits), I wore khakis and a polo. It looks well put together, but if needed, I can handle a switch to a "working interview" without changing.

I'd bring a resume if I were you, just because I often run out of space on regular application forms.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Good luck! Vibes!

You'll probably get asked something along the lines of "What is your greatest strength?" and "What is your greatest weakness/what can you improve on?" Try to think of a fairly positive weakness. For my job, I said that I have a hard time doing things "just for the money" and a hard time not just placing the needs of the client/dog first. That sounds good to a potential employer because then they hear that you're really dedicated and just need guidance as to the business portion of it. Be prepared with a good strength and a weakness you can put a positive spin on.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Vibes on their way! It sounds like a fun job. Best of luck!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Good luck! Vibes!

You'll probably get asked something along the lines of "What is your greatest strength?" and "What is your greatest weakness/what can you improve on?" Try to think of a fairly positive weakness. For my job, I said that I have a hard time doing things "just for the money" and a hard time not just placing the needs of the client/dog first. That sounds good to a potential employer because then they hear that you're really dedicated and just need guidance as to the business portion of it. Be prepared with a good strength and a weakness you can put a positive spin on.
Ohhh that's a good one, thank you! I actually am that way too. I have always way under charged for my services for the dogs I watch, and do extra things just because I care, and not because I was getting paid to. Thank you! Big help.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Lots of vibes!

For interviews for active jobs (dog training for me, but childcare def fits), I wore khakis and a polo. It looks well put together, but if needed, I can handle a switch to a "working interview" without changing.

I'd bring a resume if I were you, just because I often run out of space on regular application forms.
Awesome, thanks!

I think I will do that and print out my resume.

I have a "pet sitting" resume (that has all my clients listed out and what I did for each family) and then a regular resume. I'm never sure how to put my pet sitting on there. I mean, it's been my primary job for the past 3 years, but I was never a business... so it's not a company name, etc. It's always so awkward, I'm never sure how to write it on a resume.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Just put that you were self-employed at pet sitting on your resume, and indicate that you can and will gladly provide references if they desire. That should be sufficient.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Good luck!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts, I hope you get the job! I'm desperately job hunting right now so I know how it feels!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If they ask "do you have any questions for me?" and you don't, my go-to question is "What do you envision the day-to-day activities looking like?" I hate saying "NOPE NO QUESTIONS" because I feel like they expect something, so I came up with that and always use it. =P Of course most of the jobs I apply for demand flexibility, but it's nice to know if there's anything daily that will need to be taken care of, because there's usually at least one thing that MUST be done every day routinely...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
If they ask "do you have any questions for me?" and you don't, my go-to question is "What do you envision the day-to-day activities looking like?" I hate saying "NOPE NO QUESTIONS" because I feel like they expect something, so I came up with that and always use it. =P Of course most of the jobs I apply for demand flexibility, but it's nice to know if there's anything daily that will need to be taken care of, because there's usually at least one thing that MUST be done every day routinely...
^ all of this. ALWAYS have questions prepared to ask, every employer I know will not consider someone who has no questions to ask. Have a list ready and ask the ones that apply.

Here's a quick n' dirty list:
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interv...viewquest2.htm

Also, don't be afraid to be honest, but back up your negatives with positive solutions. Always. Good employers want someone who isn't afraid to ask questions and is honest.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014