Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Behavior Nerd

Well and it's not just "animals with expensive care needs" really, but also the concern that some of the animals being "saved" are having to endure horrific pain and discomfort in the process, and perhaps even for the rest of their lives, making euthanasia perhaps more humane from some POVs.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater This is the non graphic pic, but the story is written there. Beaten with a baseball bat and then shot right down the throat.

Well I tell ya what. IF I had anything to spare I would be sending to this dog. Any dog that is tail thumping to all those that are helping her, after what has been done to her, she should get all the help she needs. If you can't see the link I apologize in advance.
I saw that dog, and the graphic picture. I see no problem with them working on that dog..I do think the damage is repairable without too much trouble for the dog.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I think it's very, very, very different to spend your own money on your own dog... rather than a rescue spending thousands of donated dollars to one VERY special needs dog. I don't see the comparison at all in those two situations, one dog is owned, the other is homeless!

No one is saying it's not nice that some one has a bleeding heart for suffering dogs who need serious medical help, surgery and care. That is a nice thing to do. But a rescue spending all of those resources on one dog who may or may not survive, who may or may not be adoptable once they recover, is not realistic when millions of healthy adoptable dogs are dying and I don't think that's deniable. I've fostered many dogs and put fourth a lot of my own money, but I wouldn't spend the money I could use towards a dozen dogs on one dog that isn't even a guarantee. I think what bothers me is seeing rescues who always have super sick dogs who require thousands of dollars in donations, not just a few special cases here and there, but constantly? I don't think it's fair to be biased towards special needs cases, when so many healthy dogs die for no reason.
But if they are honest about their mission and what they are doing with the donations and take the dogs' quality if life into account, why do you care what they specialize in? You don't have to donate if you don't want to. The major role of private rescues is to do what shelters often can't--give dogs time in foster care, give them basic training, work with behavioral issues, and often deal with medical issues that require time and money to treat.

I have a dog that has a major health issue, and frankly the idea that dogs like him simply "aren't worth the resources" is insulting. As long as rescues are behaving ethically, let them so what they do, and you do what you do, and at the end of the day dogs will be still be saved.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Let it be

And if that dog is in a rescue it is not homeless. it is in someone's care to give it all they have the means to. If that means asking for donations to help that dog so be it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I believe it's just frustrating. It's the save one or save one thousand, an epic question of morality.

Yes it is over bearing and nosey to presume those of us not hands on can choose what a private organization can do and yes it is their choice but I believe the hypothetical question would be is it right?

I suppose that is up to only the rescue and yes, it's our choice to donate or not, but sometimes I find it a painful affront to see even some of the more respected rescues spending resources on less adoptable dogs while I see easy adoption dogs killed for lack of room. Sometimes I wonder why not them? Are they not flashy enough? Do they not pull at enough heart strings?

Once again it's not just that side that gets questioned but both. The lab rescue here I now donate to when I have money to do so only takes reasonable and adoptable cases, they get flack for it from other rescues (I was told to avoid them for not being true rescue) but if you ask me they are doing their job, especially in the most populated breed in America.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Once again it's not just that side that gets questioned but both. The lab rescue here I now donate to when I have money to do so only takes reasonable and adoptable cases, they get flack for it from other rescues (I was told to avoid them for not being true rescue) but if you ask me they are doing their job, especially in the most populated breed in America.
That is the kind of rescue that appeals to me. It's unforunate they get any kind of negative attention for that.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Sport Model Pug

There's a large Pug rescue in Ontario that is having to close their intake yet again due to three dogs needing surgeries that add up to around $10,000 total. They rarely have healthy adoptable dogs it seems and do a lot of heroics for some of the really bad cases. Not as bad as some other Pug rescues but still. I think there needs to be a balance. You can't save them all and those unhealthy dogs that need work need rescue too, but it's those healthy easily adoptable dogs that can help bring in some money to use toward the harder cases.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I believe it's just frustrating. It's the save one or save one thousand, an epic question of morality.

Yes it is over bearing and nosey to presume those of us not hands on can choose what a private organization can do and yes it is their choice but I believe the hypothetical question would be is it right?

I suppose that is up to only the rescue and yes, it's our choice to donate or not, but sometimes I find it a painful affront to see even some of the more respected rescues spending resources on less adoptable dogs while I see easy adoption dogs killed for lack of room. Sometimes I wonder why not them? Are they not flashy enough? Do they not pull at enough heart strings?

But you could say that about breeds and types as well. Why should any reacues take in in pit bulls or large black mutts? They are hard to adopt out. You could save many labs, goldens, or small dogs with the resources you use on pit bulls or black dogs. For that matter maybe no rescue should take in seniors, because puppies get adopted first. Heck, if it's all about numbers then maybe all rescues should focus most of their resources on puppies. I don't think it's wrong for private rescues to look beyond numbers at times.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
But you could say that about breeds and types as well. Why should any reacues take in in pit bulls or large black mutts? They are hard to adopt out. You could save many labs, goldens, or small dogs with the resources you use on pit bulls or black dogs. For that matter maybe no rescue should take in seniors, because puppies get adopted first. Heck, if it's all about numbers then maybe all rescues should focus most of their resources on puppies. I don't think it's wrong for private rescues to look beyond numbers at times.
A lot of rescues do have that policy. Only easily adoptable dogs like puppies, small dogs and dogs with really amazing temperments. Is their life more deserving because they happen to be cuter, younger, healthier and have better temperments? I don't want to be the one to say.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
but it's those healthy easily adoptable dogs that can help bring in some money to use toward the harder cases.
I've always seen it backwards to that.

Yes the harder cases cost more. But sob stories bring in money like crazy *the ones I have seen*. So while they are spending more they are also getting quite a bit more being donated in.