Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

Its hard for sure and sadly, enough "bad" rescues exist that can taint the rest.

For me, it all comes down to long term prognosis, dogs age and their spirit. A good rescue will let dogs go when its too much...but too much is going to be different for each dog and each rescue. Yes, some rescues do specialize in hard cases, not for the publicity (well, some might) but because they are actually GOOD at it and can heal dogs.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
and Fozzie B!

That's a good point about dogs with serious behavior problems too... WHY risk adopting them out, and giving them so much TLC, when countless puppies and super friendly dogs are dying needlessly?

The real truth is, a very small number of people are willing to train a dog with serious issues. At most you might find some one willing to manage an aggressive dog - but we all make mistakes, and the moment that person leaves their dog in the yard alone, drops the leash, or makes a bad call, an innocent person or dog could suffer greatly! My friend graduated from Penn & Foster dog training school (impressive, I know! lol) and convinced her boyfriend to adopt a SERIOUS resource guarding Whippet mix. The rescue stupidly let her take him, convinced that she was a "dog trainer", although she's done nothing more than read a binder full of outdated, like from the 80's, basic training print outs. They employed Cesar Millan methods to "rehabilitate" him, which admittedly is stupid AF but much more than 90% of people would even attempt, and 2 years later this dog is living in a constant state of fear, terror and stress. My friend and her boyfriend resent him and regret every adopting him, and he lives much of his life in a crate. He has bitten every single person he's met. He's the only dog who has ever bitten me out of thousands, and I didn't do anything to deserve that! He is a timebomb who luckily isn't big enough to kill some one, but if he was a big dog, he'd be lethal. That dog should have been PTS. It would've been much kinder to him!!! If not, given to a certified behaviorist to help him, but the odds of that are very slim. The funds and time and people just aren't enough to save dogs with serious issues, and I feel it's more humane to put them down than to put them through a life of stress & suppression & risk the safety of the public.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I do tend to agree.

I will say, for my own dog, I'd definitely go to extreme measures if it meant he had a chance at a healthy life still, or a decent quality of life. Of course I wouldn't let him suffer, but I definitely would go to great lengths to help him.

When it comes to dogs who may or may not have a home anyways, and are sitting in a shelter, etc, it's a tough call. I don't think it's cruel to humanely euthanize though.

But then again, you do read of stories of very happy dogs who were not going to be given a chance, and then they ARE given a chance, and end up living very happy lives in great homes. Hard to say.

But I totally get what you're saying and agree.
This sums up how I feel!

Sometimes (and for many reasons!), euthanasia is best, imo. It makes me sad to see shelter/rescue animals in extreme pain with their lives prolonged when they will never feel completely better. It's one thing if the animal is in a loved home with owners who can afford to get them the care that's needed... but if the shelter/rescue funds could be used for other things, it's hard to not think about that.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind euth'ing, and I think it is very realistic to consider that possibility to curb numbers, keep easy fixes available, and more tormented dogs at peace. I do think it's cruel to keep a dog alive for a crapshoot.

When considering realistic euth'ing, I think you also need to view the dogs in realistic possibilities. Yeah, sure, the dog chased a kid and knocked them down. Would that dog be loads better in an active home with basic training? Definitely. Is mange an easy fix? Totally. Should a dog be kept alive when it spends every moment of every day in constant fear, anxiety, frustration, and would only be happy with one person in a home that never changed in the middle of no where? No. That's highly unrealistic. Same with putting a dog through many expensive, extensive surgeries. It's just unrealistic.

Now, some things like broken bones or maybe individuals that would need more extensive training than the average joe is used to....kinda on the fence. If they were great individuals for adoption otherwise, sure, go for it. But not when the odds are so stacked against a dog.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There is a very public known someone on FB who every week is buying something new like collars, tags, tattoos, even a car. Then every other week they're starting a chip in for their own gear and own dogs medical procedures. That infuriates me. What you do with your money is fine but once you start using and abusing the good hearted, sometimes overly trusting, many out there then you're just scum.

So, I guess it could be worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
It gets on my nerves too signing on every time and seeing them asking for yet another thing.

If people want to donate though, then whatever. It's their money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
x3

Drives me nuts. Before I'd ever ask for help on anything, I'd be selling the (many) valuable things I've seen them share on FB.
Yep. But as long as people will condone it, with either donating money or the companies giving them free products, they'll keep doing it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Every breed just needs a rescue group as awesome as this one.
http://www.arottalove.org/
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Personally it makes me sad for the dog when people go for quantity of life over quality of life.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Every breed just needs a rescue group as awesome as this one.
http://www.arottalove.org/
They are truely awesome. I love that they do so much education as well, not just rescue/adoption.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
Personally it makes me sad for the dog when people go for quantity of life over quality of life.
Sorry I'm confused. Do you mean like adopting a younger, healthy dog, even though the older one who needs some food and a bath might be a better fit? Because that does bother me. I've seen a lot of beautiful dogs not even given a second glance because their coat was matted. Then those same people adopt a dog that barks at everything that moves, while the dirty dog just lays there wanting love.

Sorry, end rant.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

Gambit should have been euthanized. The rescue knew full well, and was not honest with me about, that he was feral until 10 weeks, was part (probably half) coyote, had spend the past 5 months in a 10/10 kennel with only his littermates for company, and had very slim chances of living a normal life.

They adopted him to me anyway. Now I have a semi-feral, human reactive, needs medication to be able to leave the house and function seminormally in familiar places coydog. Do I love him? With all my heart. He's funny, loving and a really cool animal. Having him is a steep learning curve.

99% of homes would have either bounced him or had him euthanized by now. There have been days when I've considered it, and wondered about his quality of life.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.