Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Glutton for Crazy

There is a huge difference between a starved ad mangey dog and a dog that needs 5 surgeries to even think about a life.

Honestly starved dogs are easy fixes, it's the ones that you're playing Frankenstein with that start to make me wonder if it's the right choice, I can't help thinking how many easy fixes were killed while we focuses time, effort, and money on one dog.

A rescue here in town gets crap for "only taking in adoptable dogs" and I find it a rather strange insult.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Resident fainting goat

You're not.

I think the same thing when I see dogs with serious behavioral problems up for adoption.
the only thing I can think is.. why?
Especially the victim blaming that goes with these dogs. "Oh they sent him back because he bit the child that he was left ALONE with and who POKED HIM!"
"He was surrendered because he bit the waiter at the cafe who bent down to pet him IGNORING HIS CALMING SIGNAL AND YAWNING!"

Ok, arguably ya.. these parents/the waiter should've kept their space and the owners should've kept the dog out of these situation.. but regardless, the dog SERIOUSLY BIT a person. Calming signal or no (and this is a big one I see) no dog should be adopted out that has that low a threshold for serious biting.

There is a no-kill shelter that prides themselves on housing these dogs. The destroy the house separation anxiety case, the violent dog aggression, dangerous around children, crushing fear of people, food aggression etc..etc..

and I dunno.. but with so many dogs with great temperaments that need homes.. why take the risk?
Sure, there might be a home that CAN house a dog aggressive, separation anxiety stricken, food aggressive dog. but it just doesn't sit right with me to wait for these one in a million homes while these dogs sit somewhere just waiting. Or worse, get placed in a home that sets them up to hurt someone.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Behavior Nerd

The mange cases, those with simple starvation, amputation, etc. I totally look at differently because they really are pretty simple fixes. My issue comes from the multi-serious issue dogs who often will have chronic/long term effects from their injuries/illnesses. And obviously an owned dog is different, though I do sometimes pause when a private owner starts asking for donations for their own dog's care, but that's not necessarily because of the dog's well being but the way I feel about our responsibility for our own dogs.

And Fran brought up another thing that's bothered me: placing animals with serious behavior issues, often keeping said dogs kenneled loooong term. I haaaaate warehousing.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I hate that dogs with serious behavior issues are adopted out or that the issues are downplayed. As someone who may someday be looking to adopt a dog, I would GREATLY appreciate it if the dogs sitting in the runs are considered "adoptable."

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

There is a very public known someone on FB who every week is buying something new like collars, tags, tattoos, even a car. Then every other week they're starting a chip in for their own gear and own dogs medical procedures. That infuriates me. What you do with your money is fine but once you start using and abusing the good hearted, sometimes overly trusting, many out there then you're just scum.

So, I guess it could be worse.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There is a huge difference between a starved ad mangey dog and a dog that needs 5 surgeries to even think about a life.

Honestly starved dogs are easy fixes, it's the ones that you're playing Frankenstein with that start to make me wonder if it's the right choice, I can't help thinking how many easy fixes were killed while we focuses time, effort, and money on one dog.

A rescue here in town gets crap for "only taking in adoptable dogs" and I find it a rather strange insult.
Agreed, and especially the bold part.

If we didn't have an over population problem, if we didn't kill hundreds (probably thousands) of perfectly healthy (sometimes babies!) dogs every single day........then yes, PLEASE do everything possible to save EVERY dog.

But I really can't get behind using countless resources to TRY and save one particular dog (no matter how sad the story) when all that time and money could have saved 10, 100, or even 1000 who were euthed while 1 dog took the resources and struggled survive

If that makes me heartless, then I'll take the label and be in good company.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

There is a rescue close to here that primarily pulls dogs with heart wrenching stories. The woman doesn't work and literally lives off the adoption fees. She always has a "rare" Breed and charges upwards of 400$ for adoption fees. She also adopts out dogs with temperament issues and ones that need extensive care. I loathe this rescue as do other reputable rescues.

I have a hard look on rescues and rescue dogs. Unfortunately for ME they need to be exceptional to be adopted out. I will not donate to pity cases but will to normal cases.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There is a very public known someone on FB who every week is buying something new like collars, tags, tattoos, even a car. Then every other week they're starting a chip in for their own gear and own dogs medical procedures. That infuriates me. What you do with your money is fine but once you start using and abusing the good hearted, sometimes overly trusting, many out there then you're just scum.

So, I guess it could be worse.
It gets on my nerves too signing on every time and seeing them asking for yet another thing.

If people want to donate though, then whatever. It's their money.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
The mange cases, those with simple starvation, amputation, etc. I totally look at differently because they really are pretty simple fixes.
Agree with this.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
It gets on my nerves too signing on every time and seeing them asking for yet another thing.

If people want to donate though, then whatever. It's their money.
x3

Drives me nuts. Before I'd ever ask for help on anything, I'd be selling the (many) valuable things I've seen them share on FB.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep