Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Felurian

Yes, they are being terribly rude, and condescending.

I'd insist on getting their insurance information and, if they aren't forthcoming, file a suit. "Act of God" my ass.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

I just have to convince the boyfriend... I think the paperwork alone would be enough for them to give us the money.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Felurian

This kind of stuff just pisses me off royally.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

Trust me, me too. I have to look at their big ass house every day and they don't even OFFER to help with anything? And they saw Josh's truck....ugh. People. He's nice though. Too nice. Not sure if he is going to want to take them to court.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Felurian

People like that bank on people like Josh . . .

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Top Dog

I do think their insurance would pay for it. As was suggested, see if your insurance company will call theirs. Otherwise, you'd likely do well in small claims court. I don't think it's much to file and, as you said, the paperwork alone might convince them to just pay it.

I will note, though, that their living in a large/expensive house and appearing to have money does not necessarily mean they are well off. They might be, but you don't know their financial situation (I am assuming). Perhaps they pay a ton in medical bills. Perhaps they support children. Maybe only one of them works. Even well off people can be overwhelmed with bills.

Now, this does NOT mean they should not either turn it into their insurance company or just pay the damages out of pocket. They are definitely responsible. However, appearing to be well off does not mean that they have $3000 lying around.

We certainly do not have a lot of cash..and in the summer we're just on my paycheck, so by the end of the summer we're barely scraping by. But, not once have I ever been bitter when around people with more money than we have. *shrug*
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Felurian

I didn't take it so much as being bitter that they have more money so much as being angry at being treated like damages don't matter because Barbara and her SOs things aren't new and expensive. THAT would rub anyone the wrong way.

I've known people who had a great deal who treated others with respect regardless of what they did or didn't have -- and then some who really did feel like the appearance of monetary status gave them special privilege. Those people suck.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

No, it's not that they have nice things that makes me thing they are "well off". They flaunt their money in various ways and made a point to brag about how much the trampoline costed and how it "didn't matter" and that they "spend that in a weekend".

Anyways, their trampoline also did damage to our rental home, in which the landlords are taking care of. They came by today to pick up rent and apparently the woman who owns the trampoline gave them the same "my insurance doesn't cover it" BS. My landlords know better than that and are having their insurance company file suit with them. I think the woman who owns the trampoline may have gotten incorrect information from her insurance company, because of course they don't want her to file a claim that will lose them money. Also, I think the lady is under the impression that she will have to pay her $5,000 deductible... And my landlord says you only have to pay the deductible if the damages are on YOUR OWN property. So maybe once she realizes that her insurance DOES cover it, and that she won't have to pay a deductible, she may file a claim without us having to go to court. I sure hope so because my boyfriend isn't going to want to take her to small claims and well...I want to.

Also, I'm bitter at them for not taking responsibility for their actions and for their trampoline and for acting like it isn't something they could have prevented. And having a brand new truck that they brag about while not batting an eye at the fact that the only vehicle my boyfriend has and can afford is now mangled and not even offering to help AT ALL. Of course that's frustrating.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
What I would do is call my auto insurance company, explain the situation to them, and let the insurance companies fight it out. They're not going to want to pay out if they don't have to, and they are far better prepared to hash it out with your neighbor's homeowner's company than you are.

Then if that doesn't work out, I would file the court paperwork. The notice of a lawsuit alone is often enough to get people to offer to settle out of court.

I don't know if it's different in different states but liability will absolutely not pay for anything. The insurance company will not fight for it because they wouldn't pay for it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Trust me, me too. I have to look at their big ass house every day and they don't even OFFER to help with anything? And they saw Josh's truck....ugh. People. He's nice though. Too nice. Not sure if he is going to want to take them to court.
Like others said that doesn't mean anything. When I worked for Braums there were hundreds of people like that with huge houses, buying expensive cars and blowing money and bragging about it. But most of them were so deep in debt it's not even funny.

Are storms like this common? If so I think it would be smart to get better insurance. I live in tornado alley and it was just always a given to me that since I was carrying liability on my old car if a storm, not even a tornado just a bad storm, came through and a tree/trashcan/part of a house/kids toy took it out it was going to be a total loss.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

They're not really all that common. This is the first tornado here in years. And the first time I've experienced storms like this in the 3 years I've lived here. It's supposedly the heat.