Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Professional Nerd

Default Anybody familiar with Boxers?

In discussions in a Facebook group last night, somebody revealed where they got their pet Boxer from. Both of the pup's parents were tested for degenerative myelopathy. But, the sire was genetically afflicted, and the mother a carrier. The one pup that is in the OFA database so far is genetically afflicted. I was horrified that the breeding was done, as you can guess.

A Boxer BYB was included in the discussion last night, and her lousy health guarantee was subject to ridicule (one highlight is that jumping on/off furniture causes luxating patellas). I went out looking for a breeder that has a better guarantee. The first one I came to was a breeder that had a litter between two DM carriers advertised.

Is this common practice in Boxers? Are they all carriers and this must be done? I don't see many old Boxers. Are they counting on them all dying of cancer before developing DM symptoms?

I'm kind of horrified.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post

Is this common practice in Boxers? Are they all carriers and this must be done? I don't see many old Boxers. Are they counting on them all dying of cancer before developing DM symptoms?

I'm kind of horrified.
Sadly, that could be the case. 8-10 seems to be the general life expectancy of Boxers. There are also a lot of health issues to consider and I know hearts are a huge concern. Many of the Boxers, even well bred ones I have known end up with some kind of heart problem at some point in their life. Many of these dogs were previously screened and found to have normal hearts. Cancer is also pretty common in them. AFAIK the DM test can be questionable in terms of just what it means. I could be wrong but I think genetically effected dogs may or may not end up actually developing DM. My guess would be that DM is something many breeders are testing for but it's not high on their priority list right now, since it generally affects old dogs. The heart issues can affect them at any age and it's not uncommon for them to cause sudden death in a seemingly healthy dog Also if a large number of Boxers are testing carrier or genetically affected, it' not that easy to just remove them all from the gene pool. Especially for something that may or may not ever cause them a problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Professional Nerd

I knew about the heart disease, and of course the cancer. Like I said, I've not seen many old Boxers. We saw mostly BYB dogs at my various clinics and didn't see heart problems as often, but tons of cancer.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

This is why I didn't get a boxer when I got Logan. I adore boxers, but it's SO hard to find a healthy one. Gavroche was a stray and hasn't been tested for stuff, so it is a bit scary wondering what might happen as he ages. The fact that he's 5 now terrifies me as well.

We see a LOT of boxers die young at work. Heart problems and lymphoma seem to be the top 2 causes of early death.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Professional Nerd

Yes, lymphoma. And mast cell after mast cell until finally admitting that you've lost the battle.

I love Boxers, but the health issues terrify me.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

My boss is a Boxer breeder, in the breed for 40 some years. She breeds rarely. That said her last dog she just lost was 12. She tends to have long living dogs compared to most breeders.

She will not breed a DM affected dog. She will breed a carrier but only to a clear and the puppies are tested for being carriers. She said this is due to the smaller gene pool from which she breeds. She is very line specific and her dogs, knock on wood, tend to not get cancers like other lines.

I emailed her this morning and asked her about the DM thing as well as sent her that breeders link. She simply said, BYB.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM
and Fozzie B!

I don't know much about Boxer breeding practices.... but I will say, the most horrific, severe tumors I've ever seen on dogs have ALL been on Boxers. I'll think the dog is 13, and I'll look on their sheet and they're 6 or 7! Very sad. I knew a nice white Boxer who was covered in tumors at age 6 and barely walked, it was heart-breaking. She had one between her front legs that was the size of a grapefruit and would bleed. It came back right after being removed. I would look into working Boxer breeders, as the few that I've met who were super healthy and well put together were from working European lines.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I emailed her this morning and asked her about the DM thing as well as sent her that breeders link. She simply said, BYB.

It wasn't the same breeder. You probably figured it out because the link I posted on Facebook didn't test anything.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I did figure it out after I emailed her. lol

If your friend has a Boxer and would like to learn more about the breed. My boss said I would give her email address to the lady or you etc.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM
such sights to show you

Keep in mind too that the degenerative myelopathy test isn't as straightforward as, say, the MDR1 test. It's difficult to really interpret how significant the results are. Aleron is correct that testing genetically positive doesn't necessarily correlate with a dog ever showing signs of DM. A lot of people had high hopes for that test, but unfortunately it hasn't yet quite panned out. It's not even really all that useful diagnostically.