Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
My landlord told me they just wanted to be told if I added any pets so as not to catch them off guard. I have a backup place I could move to but would rather not. My lease here is up for renewal in october so if I want to move then I'd have to then.
Why don't you ask them about adding another? Maybe they'll just say "oh neat, what kind of dog?" and you'll be all clear?

ETA: We're currently in a rental in the middle of a city that allows our dogs and we are shortly moving to TN and found a rental there that allows all of our dogs as well, with a huge (almost an acre!) fenced yard. I think you can do it
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I guess if I were you I would look and see if the right dog pops up. If not then you wait, but look. Because when you're looking with a real "I can actually take this dog home" vs. "I'm just looking"...well for me that tightens the criteria quite a lot and the field of prospects narrows considerably. If there's still a standout and you're ready...go for it. It's your dog, your life, not your family's.
If I get the go-ahead, that's probably going to be the plan. I do need to put a little more time into it this go around. My last two dogs were pretty much the first dogs I got offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
You'd totally be the perfect home for a little Pip, too. Mom's looking for a sports home for her, if we're gonna rehome her.
She's adorable too! I've loved all the MAS I've met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Why don't you ask them about adding another? Maybe they'll just say "oh neat, what kind of dog?" and you'll be all clear?

ETA: We're currently in a rental in the middle of a city that allows our dogs and we are shortly moving to TN and found a rental there that allows all of our dogs as well, with a huge (almost an acre!) fenced yard. I think you can do it
Thanks! I'm super nervous about asking the landlord for some reason! I have no idea why. I think I'm scared they'll say no way. But I should find out before my lease is up in October so I can decide if I need to pursue finding a new house to rent. How did you go about finding a place to rent with all your dogs?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Yeah if I just brought one home, I know it would work out fine one way or another. Why can't I just bring myself to do it?

My two are perfectly fine right now though and show no signs of needing to quit. I don't know what I'll do if I have to call it quits with one of them.
Because you're like me and you want everything to be perfect. I got a new job so i could afford to move out and get puppy, hours got cut at work and now i'm broke again with no puppy. And really if it was a small dog i would probably have just said "I'm getting a puppy" and brought one home, but noooo I have to go and decide that I probably want to get a FCR for my next dog instead of a small. Jeeze, why do i want a big black dog again?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I have my spreadsheet and dates on it to when I get enough to put a good downpayment on a house and then have enough savings leftover to get a puppy and still have my emergency funds... But honestly, the only reason I care about buying a house is to have a dog. Which strikes me as being somewhat backwards.

I'd be fine with a non-bc for the next dog as long as it was a herder that fit in well. I really need to take more risks. I ended up with two papillons because I wanted to go with what I knew would work absolutely.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think part of it is just my fear that Summer is old and Mia has bad knees and what if a year from now I have no dog to train with? I'm not that social and a lot of my new friends since moving have been from agility and dog class. That's a lot of what I do outside of work (that and church group).
Honestly, it amazes me how much you sound like me sometimes. My biggest push for getting Gusto was my fear that Meg would want to be done agility before I had another dog actively training. My agility world is most of my social circle, and most of my fun time. I'd be kind of lost without it.

For what it is worth, I'm really impressed that you do think this stuff through so carefully. I know how tempting it is when you are ready and your life isn't.

If it were me, I'd hate to have to consider putting off my real dream dog even longer so that I could have something now. So, what I'd have to really be thinking is "do I want to go to four dogs". If you got a young adult now (which it sounds like that is the only option for your rental), you are still looking at probably 1 - 2 years before it is ready to compete. So you'll have a young, relatively new to competition dog at the same time you are getting your dream puppy. That means a minimum of 2 dogs in classes, possibly 3 or 4 depending on where Summer and Mia are in their lives and how they are doing.

I probably overthink all this stuff.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

All I have to say is... I am not an impulsive person either. I overthink things. I talk myself out of just about everything.

Payton was me being impulsive.

I don't regret it.
*whistles*

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Honestly, it amazes me how much you sound like me sometimes. My biggest push for getting Gusto was my fear that Meg would want to be done agility before I had another dog actively training. My agility world is most of my social circle, and most of my fun time. I'd be kind of lost without it.
Great minds? Or at least over-analytical minds think alike.

Quote:
For what it is worth, I'm really impressed that you do think this stuff through so carefully. I know how tempting it is when you are ready and your life isn't.
Thanks! It is very tempting and has been tempting me for a long while. I do take getting a dog very seriously.

Quote:
If it were me, I'd hate to have to consider putting off my real dream dog even longer so that I could have something now. So, what I'd have to really be thinking is "do I want to go to four dogs". If you got a young adult now (which it sounds like that is the only option for your rental), you are still looking at probably 1 - 2 years before it is ready to compete. So you'll have a young, relatively new to competition dog at the same time you are getting your dream puppy. That means a minimum of 2 dogs in classes, possibly 3 or 4 depending on where Summer and Mia are in their lives and how they are doing.

I probably overthink all this stuff.
That is one big thing I've thought of. Right now both my dogs LOVE classes so I'd continue classes with them until they tell me they don't want to continue. So at least 3 dogs in classes right now, which would be quite a bit. Plus the fact that both my current dogs are back at the beginning as far as agility training goes. But Summer is training for fun and who knows what will happen with Mia. That fact is always in the back of my mind.

I think an adult would be a better option for my work schedule and then also to hopefully increase the odds of getting a sound dog (I could get hips/knees looked at on an adult, which would be a relief for me).

I wish I could get into rally like I love agility but I just can't so much. The people I know best are all agility folk too.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
If I get the go-ahead, that's probably going to be the plan. I do need to put a little more time into it this go around. My last two dogs were pretty much the first dogs I got offered.
And yet they turned out pretty well anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
but noooo I have to go and decide that I probably want to get a FCR for my next dog instead of a small. Jeeze, why do i want a big black dog again?
Why? Because they are awesome of course
Mira sez she has a teddy bear to help you feel better...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Why? Because they are awesome of course
Mira sez she has a teddy bear to help you feel better...
Aww Mira =)

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Sheltie Sheltie Sheltie

... or Pip... just sayin'

op-corn: I am no help lol... I have the wants, but not realistic wants. I am far too busy right now, and I find myself having to seriously prioritize now, so I'm not considering adding another for quite some time. But you sound in a much better position
You also sound like me... I over-analyze everything. Bailey was my most impulsive decision, ever (and I was actively researching and looking). I don't regret it for a second

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o