Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

A couple of the Tollers I know have coats like that. Not all, though. There seems to be slight variations in coat type/texture within the breed.

Dance leaves some hair laying around wherever she's laid down. Not too bad, but it's noticeable. And when you're petting her, hair doesn't stick to your hand, but it flies off and lands on your clothing or you can see loose hairs sitting on her back that you've rubbed loose. She has a very soft, relatively fine coat. That said, most of her hair ends up on the floor and in corners and is much more noticeable that way than it is on things. So even though her shedding is noticeable, I don't find it's atrocious or in huge amounts.

My grandma's Tibetan Spaniel is the worst shedder. Shedding doesn't really bother me, but her shedding bothers me. She leaves hair everywhere. On everything, around everything, in everything. And it's not small amounts. It's a lot of hair. She has a similar coat to Dance in length and texture, is regularly groomed and eats a good food, but she sheds so much more than Dance.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm All Ears

The shelties' hair was like that. You'd find tumbleweeds but their hair didn't gt everywhere unlike another breed I know *sideways glare*
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Knox sheds like that, but he's got what's called a stock coat I believe. It doesn't come out in clumps like the plusher coated (but still normal length) GSDs I've seen.

It could also be because he's bathed regularly and force dried, so I think a lot of his coat is blown out then.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Maddy dogs

Her dam was a Border collie and her sire was a GSD. Her coat would "blow" in clumps and in strands (while brushing) twice a year.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Webster's does that, though he's certainly not long-coated. His coat is unbelievably dense though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

By clumps, do you mean cotton ball looking clumps? Norwegian Elkhounds, GSDs, Siberians and Malamutes shed their undercoat like that.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
By clumps, do you mean cotton ball looking clumps? Norwegian Elkhounds, GSDs, Siberians and Malamutes shed their undercoat like that.
Yeah, Jinj's coat does that too, if I don't brush him out good frequently his coat creates these separate "tufts" which fall out, everywhere. But he also sheds normally, all, the, time! Tumble weeds, and stray hair EVERYWHERE! Maddy wasn't like that, her coat came out in mass amounts only twice a year, and she barely shed at all there after. However, she matted, TERRIBLY! I would not trade the shedding for mats again, ever.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Yeah, my cousin had a wolf/husky hybrid growing up who did that. That's not what Lucy's like. There's never any fur I can pluck it with my hands, no matter how much I go looking for it. I can brush it out with this thing:

and get tonnnnnns of fur, and it tumbleweeds in the corners, but it's not "pluckable".
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeigh View Post
Lies! :P at least no one told my girls that Tilly shed like CRAZY
Yah.. it'll come out in clumps when they shed, but you legit have to either use a furminator type thing or pull it out -- hard. Only ferrets I've had that would shed when you pet them were fosters that came to me on crap food... Marshall's, Zupreem, etc. Basically any "ferret" food that's filled with grains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Maddy dogs

Her dam was a Border collie and her sire was a GSD. Her coat would "blow" in clumps and in strands (while brushing) twice a year.
Yah... Rosey's a Border Collie GSD and oh dear god the fur. Definitely not what she's looking for.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13