Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Kaydee

Default Antler Question???

Advice about antlers please. I tried the idea last night of boiling the moose antler in chicken stock then soaking it overnight. She's had the antler a few months, half chewed but still a good size. The store guy was right the added flavor makes it waaaay yummy again!!! Plus the boiling probably cleaned it a bit.

Another question is how long before you toss antlers??? I give her rawhides and bones and usually just throw out the itty bitty pieces of what's left within days, minutes sometimes. If I find a stray edible under the bed, under a chair and it's in good shape I dust off the fur or maybe rinse and dry it. Obviously if it looks or smells bad I get rid of it immediately.

But how long can you safely keep edible treats around?
I don't let her take anything outside ever. She can chew sticks outside but I can imagine a stuffed thing getting under a bush, drooly already...then getting rained on...then drying out in the dirt, then the dog finds it again...mmm delish!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

With a plain antler I would feel fine leaving it around for years honestly, I don't think they go bad. BUT once you've put it in chicken broth I don't know, I'd assume the broth would go bad fairly quickly, I'm not sure.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!