Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Wild At Heart

You need a Harleigh

I do think a Lab or Golden would be a good choice for you though!

Harleigh <3
Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Taxiderpy

On a more serious note, a gordon setter would fit really well with your requirements.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

I would say any of the sporting breeds - Goldens, Labs, Spaniels, Setters, etc. If you got one as an adult from a breeder rehome or a rescue that fosters, you could get a better idea of their individual personality.

I, of course, would vote for a Golden. But that's just because my aunt had one when I was growing up and I LOVED THAT DOG. She was awesome. The only time she barked was when someone was at the door, she would have let a stranger into the house no questions asked, she loved the water, and she had a really high toy/food drive (but not over the top). I know they got her as a puppy from a breeder, but I don't know what "kind" of breeder. She lived to be 14 with no major health issues though, and didn't have any aggression/reactivity/anxiety issues whatsoever.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:04 PM
such sights to show you

I agree a lot of the sporting breeds would suit you. These days, though, it seems like I see a lot of nervy, anxious goldens. That, along with their copious health problems (allergies, cancers) make it hard for me to really strongly get behind them even though many of them are really lovely dogs.

I think standard or miniature poodles are a good choice, too. I've never considered them particularly unhealthy breeds, there were a couple lines around the Twin Cities that had a lot of Addison's but otherwise I haven't seen any particular major problems in them. I would consider them generally healthier than goldens for sure. The grooming needs would drive me personally nuts, though.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I freaking adore Brittanys! I love their size, and all the ones I've met are on the quieter side, and they have tons of energy! Are they normally ball/water dogs?
Rescue or breeder? Can I go breeder hunting for you and in 7-12 years you can get one, like my toller...
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
On a more serious note, a gordon setter would fit really well with your requirements.
I have a bias. All but one of the Gordons I've met are dumb as a box of rocks. And huge dumb dogs break things and get in the way. Small dumb dogs are cute.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I have a bias. All but one of the Gordons I've met are dumb as a box of rocks. And huge dumb dogs break things and get in the way. Small dumb dogs are cute.
Every Gordon I know is dumb too. Sadly the same can be said for Irish and English setters though, I know too many "pretty" ones at my work.

I grew up with a family friend owning a gordon though and he was super cool. I don't remember if he was dumb or not because I was too young to know different but man he was tolerant of all kids. He did have a very protective streak though, we were all "his" kids and he didn't like strangers approaching the playground when we were playing. I'm not sure if that is common or not though.

Oh and I LOVE brittany spaniels but the ones at my work are loud screamers and rival my malinois for busy energy sometimes. Fair warning, I actually like them for their energy and drive, I don't fancy their scream though. They're all spinners too (but I also get these ones in because "they're so out of control and can't just sit still on the couch!")
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Really? That's odd, every gordon I've met has been highly intelligent. Sort of like a brilliant golden retriever. My cousin's gordon, TJ, is super smart and he's really loving and sensitive.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post

Oh and I LOVE brittany spaniels but the ones at my work are loud screamers and rival my malinois for busy energy sometimes. Fair warning, I actually like them for their energy and drive, I don't fancy their scream though. They're all spinners too (but I also get these ones in because "they're so out of control and can't just sit still on the couch!")
I don't think screaming is a widespread breed trait in Brittanys. The Brittany I know best doesn't scream or spin but he's a very high drive, fun loving, wild dog. One of the few dogs Savvy can really play with and enjoy the game as much as Savvy does. He is definitely a dog who needs daily exercise and interaction to be even acceptable in the house. I know another one who is being trained by a 4Her in agility and wow, that dog could be really something! She does vocalize while running agility but I've not heard her do it other wise. And another is in training at the local club who also has such awesome potential. Pretty sure she doesn't scream either. The one I know best was bred by someone aiming for DCs and the other two are pretty much totally field bred. They're all similar in drive and potential for sports I would say. I guess there are some strictly show breeders producing lower drive, softer dogs but I haven't been around those sorts. As a whole, the breed community is very into still producing functional bird dogs. The breed seems to be a bit more easily distracted by environmental things, especially scents than my Belgians but when they are focused - wow! I have found myself wondering why they aren't a more popular choice for sports.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Glutton for Crazy

The three we have at work(that I work with, not the ones who come for classes), so it's a small pull, are hunting bred and have been use to hunt but are now being asked to be "just pets". Hence, the bubbling energy. One is pretty obsessive with fetch, one loves to train, and one is a super runner and screams on the treadmill until its fast enough for his liking.

Funny enough two of the three also own tollers so maybe the overt noise is learned?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.