Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Are standard poodles that unhealthy?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

They sure seem to be.

http://standardpoodlesrus.com/Health.htm

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

The well bred ones I've been around lived into the teens with minimal health issues?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=PWCorgi;2033026

I don't want a Standard Poodle :/ I love their personalities and smarts but seriously, I don't want to deal with the health issues. I'd be such a nutcase thinking they were dying every other day.
[/QUOTE]

I know standards are not the healthiest breed but the ones I have known have not had issues...I dont know that they are THAT unhealthy either. Comparing to Goldens for instance with their super high cancer rate...?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Honestly that list wouldn't scare me off. They have a potential for bloat, clogged pores, dysplasia, like any breed, and I'd be aware of the eye issue (CERF and see if they've identified a genetic test like PRA in eskies) and the vWD. Looks like a set of tested parents should led a very healthy pup.

The grooming cost an frustratingly silliness of them as young adults would get me. lol they are awesome dogs though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

A chinese crested, just love the look. If my kids got into dogs more and needed a smaller dog to handle, I'd be tempted.

Another golden - a friend has the most amazing boy, he's actually mine but he lives with her (or at least I'm hoping if I say that enough, I can take him home!). I'd take one of his pups in a second, I have as many pictures of him on my phone as my own dogs.

More border collies but that's expected. I'm really enjoying Kilt, even as a pup she's not a pain in the house, I may regret not teaching her much about playing fetch but it's nice to have her in the house and not have to worry about her pestering the cats or picking up a toy and wanting to play fetch non-stop.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
and Fozzie B!

Probably half the Goldens I know are reactive. D: To dogs of course. Very soft with people, but DA/DR seems to be rampant in the breed nowadays. They tend to be very stubborn, too, my least favorite breed to groom by far.

Standards are nice dogs, but I can't see you with one! They are a bit dorky and serious. The grooming is painful!!! This is coming from a groomer. It takes 3 hours just to bathe and fully blowdry a Poodle, much less clip them. Unless you get your Poodle completely clipped down (which I think makes them look fugly), you're going to be spending hours brushing that coat out, detangling, and around $500 a year on grooming costs. PRA, vWD & allergies are very common, affecting most of the Standards I know, including all 3 of my boss's dogs. They are lovely dogs but without allergies or a special affinity for the breed, I wouldn't recommend it.

I think a Smooth or Rough Collie would work very well with all of your needs! I've never met ONE who wasn't just a dream... they are happy to a fault, and very smart but not demanding like a Border Collie. All of the Collies I know are great with all dogs & people, they really have hearts of gold. I wanted a GSD, but now that I'm having a baby, I'm leaning more towards a Collie for my next dog. Idk if I want to deal with training and working a powerful, intense breed and a toddler at the same time.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Romy, do Zoi puppies tend to be quiet or are they loud like normal puppies? Lol
Pretty quiet. There are nine in my back yard right now and aside from Sirin having a screaming fit earlier because she wanted the humans NAO! they haven't made a peep.

Both of my adults were really quiet as puppies, just some whinyness during crate training and that went away pretty quickly.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

A nice, working-bred Sibe fits the bill.

Extremely intelligent, high energy, no protective or guarding instincts, and when raised right does very well with other dogs, animals, can be quiet, very hardy and tolerant of most weather, can be a ball or water dog....pretty flexible and dependent on how they are raised, really. Few heath issues. Sensitive GI tract, but easily dealt with when you're knowledgeable on canine nutrition.

Only drawback is that they are quickly making BSL lists and generally have no interest in their owners/handlers at all. Not particularly biddable at all unless there is something in it for them. Quite a training challenge in that regard.

Another drawback is, of course, there's virtually no decent breeders in the AKC or United States since none of that stock came from the original Siberian Huskies and they are all bred for conformation only. You'd need to go Canadian or United Kennel Clubs.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

I vote for a Golden.

Grace's temperament is amazing. Super confident and everything just rolls off her back. She idolizes Bailey, but, thankfully, his anxiety hasn't rubbed off on her at all. She's smart and generally biddable, though we're headed into teenage puppy phase.

Cancer is a big issue for the breed, sadly.