Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Default Food Question...

I've noticed a lot of people rotate their food. Is it necessary or healthy for the dog? Meg has been on the same kibble (EVO small bites) for the last three years and has done wonderfully. We free feed her every day and she's maintained a healthy weight (between 7 and 7.5 lbs.) The vet said he sees a lot of overweight paps in the area and that she looks great. We do give her supplemental food (eggs, meat...etc) maybe once or twice a week.

Soooo...is there any reason (beside boredom on my part) to switch foods? I feel guilty since it looks like a lot of owners took their dogs off EVO when they sold to P&G. If there was a change in formula it doesn't look like she noticed.

BTW, I need to get recent pics...lol. All of these are puppy pics.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

I asked the people at my local pet store (who are really great, educated employees) that same question. I was terrified of their answer, because it took us a dozen foods to find one that sat well with Lucy. Both employees there that day were pretty adamant that if it's not broken, don't fix it. They said I might want to have a second protein in the mix in case one day she couldn't tolerate the fish anymore, but after trying chicken/lamb/beef/buffalo/turkey/rabbit without success, I gave up and am just praying the salmon is good for her until she goes!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

I would just for the sake of being able to do it, and keeping the digestive system working well. I think it helps prevent digestive upset if their system is used to some changes, and it doesn't hurt to change the ingredients too.

With the cats they get a rotation of raw ground, canned and kibble once in a while, depending. I'd just do canned since they like that, but then I have to clean up hairballs, so I do the raw a few times a week because even though one cat won't eat as much, it helps him not puke up hairballs. Kibble because we have a bag of it and it's not a bad calorie boost for the one cat and the other one gets loopy if she doesn't have that kibble fix here and there.

The dogs get a variety of raw because I've seen too many people feed just chicken/beef then suddenly the dog can't tolerate it and they have to scramble.... Storee comes from a line of dogs with poultry issues so I am leery - her grandma can't do any poultry, not even emu....
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
I would just for the sake of being able to do it, and keeping the digestive system working well. I think it helps prevent digestive upset if their system is used to some changes, and it doesn't hurt to change the ingredients too.

With the cats they get a rotation of raw ground, canned and kibble once in a while, depending. I'd just do canned since they like that, but then I have to clean up hairballs, so I do the raw a few times a week because even though one cat won't eat as much, it helps him not puke up hairballs. Kibble because we have a bag of it and it's not a bad calorie boost for the one cat and the other one gets loopy if she doesn't have that kibble fix here and there.

The dogs get a variety of raw because I've seen too many people feed just chicken/beef then suddenly the dog can't tolerate it and they have to scramble.... Storee comes from a line of dogs with poultry issues so I am leery - her grandma can't do any poultry, not even emu....
Dogs on raw should always get a wide range of variety in order to get all the needed nutrients, not just one or two. I don't see them just suddenly "not tolerating" raw. It sounds more like someone who just wasn't feeding raw correctly.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
Dogs on raw should always get a wide range of variety in order to get all the needed nutrients, not just one or two. I don't see them just suddenly "not tolerating" raw. It sounds more like someone who just wasn't feeding raw correctly.
Did you read her post? That's exactly what she JUST wrote. She said that dogs on raw who are fed nothing but beef/chicken can suddenly become intolerant, so she's careful to feed a wide variety so that isn't an issue.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
love the fluff

I misunderstood what was said sorry!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Feeding the same protein source for forever can cause allergies in some dogs, and it's always nice if you have a dog that has a picky system to find another food they can eat in case one formula becomes unavailable. It's not a neccessity though, and I don't rotate with the dog.

As far as becoming unable to tolerate raw, it's not the norm, no, but as somebody who's had it happen, it is possible you can become intolerant to *anything*

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
you can become intolerant to *anything*
Indeed, you can even be allergic to benadryl and prednisone. That concept still boggles my mind lol
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

If we do start to rotate...would be go to another grain free food?

How fast do you transition?

Since she's on turkey and chicken right now should I try to find a red meat or fish based food? Any suggestions?

I'm nervous to mess up such an easy thing, but I don't want it to hurt her down the road.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megansmom View Post
If we do start to rotate...would be go to another grain free food?

How fast do you transition?

Since she's on turkey and chicken right now should I try to find a red meat or fish based food? Any suggestions?

I'm nervous to mess up such an easy thing, but I don't want it to hurt her down the road.
Generally it's the same brand different formula... So another EVO. Within the same brand won't cause stomach upset

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13