Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Hmmm. I fell into the ACD thing. I was actually after an Australian Shepherd...was visiting the shelter, etc. A friend from the boarding kennel I worked at told me she knew someone that had a red Aussie puppy, last of the litter, she needed a home for. Boy was I surprised when I got there and it was Romeo the ACD. Probably the best breed decision I ever made...although his health is really lacking.

I've been doing a lot of considering about my next dog and I've come around full circle back to the ACD thing. I've considered BCs and Aus Shepherds and Standard Poodles..and I just feel like the ACD fits. For whatever reason I like things that are a little less popular..I'm interested in sports but I don't really want to go the typical BC route. I like the little bit 'harder' personality that an ACD has...Aussies and SPs just seem a bit too soft for my taste. A Kelpie might be on the far off horizon.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

I didn't choose Buzz, but I chose Bailey based on Buzz...? There was never an option for another breed in my mind (or even another color) when I was actually allowed to get another dog.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Top Dog

I was pretty set on a sheltie, and then met a Terv at a show, and completely fell in love with her. She was just everything I wanted in a dog. It was an emotional reaction. I talked to more people, realized that beyond that weird emotional thing I felt, they would be a good match, got Elsie.

Can't imagine a better dog for me.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 AM
BusterLove

BC's.
I like their aloofness over breeds like the Koolie.
I like that they are not so independant like a Kelpie.
I like that they are not as headstrong as an ACD.

Quinn is perfect, edgy, full on, a million miles an hour and likes taking direction.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Uhm.... I like mutts I was set on getting another rescue. Boyfriend wasn't... He wanted a lab. I really didn't. I've always admired gsps, had a little hands on experience from years ago. Can't think of a dog personality that's a better fit! But ask me again in a few weeks and I might have changed my mind
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Are you dead yet?

Chose a BC because they're quieter and more stealthy than most of the herding breeds. The barking was something I couldn't deal with, living with my parents who dislike super noisy dogs even more than I do.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Aussie I chose aussie's because most bc's I'd met seemed very over hyper to me, a bit crazy. Plus I loved the look of the bob tail and the merling. Got my first aussie and I fell head over heels!

Rat Terrier, I'm not a huge terrier person, but i grew up with a rattie, and had always wanted another one!

Boston Terrier, my husband actually picked this breed, but now that i live with him, I'd possibly own another. His choice was pug or boston and he chose the boston vs pug because boston's seem to be a bit healthier.

Great Pyrenees..there were no other giant breeds i'd rather own, i love the temperament of the pyr, and the gentle loving nature.

Collie i met a collie when i lived in arkansas probably 8+ yrs ago, loved that dog! I always planned to own a collie, when Sierra popped up needing a place I figured she'd fit right in with our crazy pack and I was right! I really love the temperament of the collie, just wish she were not so vocal sometimes lol!

Ibizan Hound, well I never considered a sighthound to be a dog I would own, I really love my herding breeds. But I made a few friends on facebook from the Ibizan community and they started telling me about this wonderful breed. The more I learned the more I loved and after bringing Courtney home I would say the Ibizan is my 2nd Aussie as far as breeds go, I love this breed, they are amazing! I will always have at least 1 or 2 Ibizans! I have met alot of other sighthounds since coming into this breed and I can still say I don't think any would fit me as well as the Ibizan does!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Let it be

I did not intentionally get a Border Collie. I was 14. My mom brought one home, boyfriend abandoned the 2nd and some how Bandit has jus stayed with me over the years. It happens to be a breed that fits me well, that I love dearly and I cannot imagine myself without. I got lucky and stumbled upon them.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Just try me..

I had met numerous JRTs at horse barns and was smitten. Other terriers just don't do it for me for the most part. Its like someone took terrierness and distilled it to make the Jack Russell lol.

Whippets weren't intentional, just ended up with them. Never saw myself as a sighthound person. But the bit of 'terrier' in whippets makes them great fun. I admire other sighthounds but they aren't my thing.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Not a Border Collie

For me, the decision was between Aussie, GSD or English Shepherd. I chose ES over Aussie fairly easily - we'd always had Aussies when I was growing up but I was very unimpressed with a lot of the Aussies I'd been seeing. The English Shepherds had all the great traits I loved in my childhood Aussies and the breed descriptions reminded me so much of these dogs. I did not like the tendency to be nervy I'd been seeing in "todays Aussies" and I preferred the size/coat of an ES, so I went with an ES for aesthetic reasons as well as their stability and even temperament. I think a good Aussie and a good ES would be a very similar dog but I was having a hard time finding a good Aussie!

The GSD vs. ES was a really hard one for me. I did prefer the size of the ES. I also thought they might be an easier dog and my parents were a little more on board with an ES. That left me leaning ES and then one day I got cold feet a little, then saw a video of Peaslee's Honey and liked her so much I didn't look back!

For my next dog I am again going ES (well, I'm 99% sure). The other possibilities were BC or GSD again. I think I've ruled out GSD due to size, shedding, and SSA possibility. I do love BCs and would love one in the future but if I can find good drive and athletic ability in an ES (like I did with Quinn) I'd prefer an ES right now. I love the "Lassie" attitude, the versatility, the great off switch, my odds against quirkiness/noise sensitivity/movement reactiveness. I also like my odds of getting a shaded sable (: I also like the ES community and having a rarer breed. I feel comfortable in English Shepherds.

Quinn - English Shepherd