Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Kaydee

Oy, that a Jack Russell attacks and they should just ban all terriers period? I understand what people are trying to say as business owners but it still don't hold water...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
The problem I see is that "that sort of dog" can come in many shapes and many of them don't fit the bill of a "pit bull", and some will not show that they are "that sort of dog" until you've already admitted them. No, obviously, you shouldn't take "that sort of dog" unless you can do so safely, but banning pit bulls doesn't guarantee anything.
Exactly. Iíve known some pretty darned dangerous mutts who werenít bully anything who were as DA as you can get, intending to hurt/kill, few warnings etc. By the same token, Iíve known some pretty bully-looking mutts who were about as bombproof as they come.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
If moving dogs past a fence with a bully type breed that is not showing signs of any DA is a 'risk' then it's not the right facility for those breed types at this time. I'd rather not board them than have them get a bad rap as a breed.
Uh... moving ANY dog past a fenced one is a risk. Barrier frustration anyone?
Add in the stress of a boarding environment, and its just smart handling not to allow a dog to stick his nose up to a fenced dog.
For the same reason I would never let one of my dogs go sniff a dog in a crate (like I see moronic people do at shows all the time and then wonder why the dog in the crate goes off like Cujo).
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

But banning them IS giving them a bad rap! By publicly banning them, you are telling everyone that they are inherently aggressive, vicious by nature, and uncontrollable. That is EXACTLY what a ban says.

And ok, so a dog showed DA. If DA dogs are not allowed, discuss the issue with the owner, and calmly state the reason why the dog can no longer go there.

But don't feed the mass hysteria with a misguided breed ban.

And just out of curiosity, if a Lab snaps at a dog, are Labs to he banned as well?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Uh... moving ANY dog past a fenced one is a risk. Barrier frustration anyone?
Add in the stress of a boarding environment, and its just smart handling not to allow a dog to stick his nose up to a fenced dog.
For the same reason I would never let one of my dogs go sniff a dog in a crate (like I see moronic people do at shows all the time and then wonder why the dog in the crate goes off like Cujo).

This, too.

This sounds like a human failure plain and simple.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

This sounds like a facility I would not trust. It's depressing they would ban a breed type but for the best as they are clearly not capable of responsible management for potentially dangerous behaviors.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Obey the Toad.

I have taken Jack to the park and been around various bully breeds without issue. The ones we have trouble with are the GSDs and mixes.

When I first got Sally, back before I knew better, I would take her to the dog park. I was there one day with her and there were 3 other dogs-an American Bulldog, a GSP, and a lab mix, all males. The two non-bully breeds of the group got in a fight and had to be pulled apart, while Sally and the ambull just stood there and watched the whole thing go down.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Dafuq?

The last dog I remember really scaring me at the kennel I worked at in Lubbock was an Airedale. If he had to wait in line for admittance to boarding, he would drag the owner across the lobby at other dogs. And they wanted him boarded in the same 4' x 6' kennel room with his mini Schnauzer friend. I could manage the Airedale because I have a lot of experience with big, bratty dogs. But he was a liability. No ifs, ands or buts.

Same place would board Pit Bulls, but they were not allowed in the play groups unless they were playing with a housemate. We boarded this one guy who I established a good rapport with. Handsome red/red intact male APBT. Intense, but not outright aggro (although I think he could have went that way with a quickness). I brought a sturdy buckle collar and rope leash from home and took him for walks instead. (He came in with quick-release gear that I didn't trust.)

I don't agree with breed BANS. That would be hypocritical. But there is epic sense in knowing a bit about the history of the breeds you're caring for and using your brain.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
The dog had NOT shown any signs of DA before the attack. He had been out in a group throughout his stay, had other dogs in the laneway where it happened, had dogs moved through there and back, and even the dog that was attacked was through there earlier in the day, no issues.

Had there been any signs of an issue, the dog would be brought inside and put in a pen just in case - I do that all the time if there's any sort of fence fighting or otherwise. If a dog is even annoying another dog it's moved/rotated to find a better suited group.

If moving dogs past a fence with a bully type breed that is not showing signs of any DA is a 'risk' then it's not the right facility for those breed types at this time. I'd rather not board them than have them get a bad rap as a breed.

And like pops said, they don't always give warnings that humans not well versed in the breed would interpret as such.

THIS is why these breeds shouldn't be at facilities that require them to interact with other dogs.

But like I said... I think ALL dog parks and play groups should be abolished. Throwing a bunch of random dogs together is never a good idea, in my book.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

I am not sure why a facility would be able to handle other aggressive dogs but not "pits"? The dog was isolated yet somehow hit another through the fence. That is a kennel problem; not a breed problem.