Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default Help me redesign my kitchen...

Okay, I'm looking for inspiration pictures to pin to my pinterest for when we start redoing our kitchen this next year. We moved in last November, and a yucky kitchen was a sacrifice we had to make to be able to afford a house in this area...but I was promised by Zach that if I forfeited vacation this coming year, we could redo it.

SO... here is my current kitchen (From the listing, with the seller's furniture and such)





It's so WHITE. My dream kitchen has dark cherry cabinets, but the cabinets we have are actually in really good shape, and have awesome built in sliding drawers and such. So, I think we'll keep those to save money. Obviously we'll replace the awful white doors with matching honey colored wood.

What I'm looking for is pictures of kitchens with light colored cabinets. I have such trouble visualizing different flooring and counters, and I want help finding pictures that I can show to contractors to show them what I like. Any pinterest lovers want to help me sift through stuff?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Samantha's pet's Avatar
Samantha's pet Samantha's pet is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton Arkansas
Posts: 2,607
Default

I love the white doors, but I LOVE black and white kitchens. Do a google image search for black and white kitchen. I think it would look awesome if you just painted the wood grain part of your counters/cabinets black and left the rest white. It would have such a clean, crisp look. I generally hate exposed wood for the most part, though.

Sorry, I know that's not what you are looking for.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
umterps97's Avatar
umterps97 umterps97 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 537
Default

I just got finished redoing my kitchen, and I actually decided to go with white cabinets for a couple of reasons.... I really wanted a chocolate brown floor, so that it would contrast with the adjacent hardwood in the living room, so I wanted light cabinets so that not everything would be dark. Also, the kitchen is fairly small so I thought the white cabinets would open it up a little.

I love the final result (the walls are more of a bluish grey than they look in the pictures)





__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,742
Default

I'm really no help but my current favorite pinterest kitchen .



Maybe a little over the top but..oh my, beautiful!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default

Sorry Samantha, I'm a wood lover! (That sounds like quite the innuendo...)

UMterps, I LOVE that floor. I'm debating wood (which the rest of my house has) or tile. I really really like the look of tile, but it's so cold in the winter! Your kitchen is so sharp!

Crazed, if I ever move into a castle, I'll come to you for ideas I think that kitchen is the size of my main level!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Bailey08's Avatar
Bailey08 Bailey08 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,467
Default

Have you tried houzz.com? So much awesome eye candy!

Also, I always recommend the GardenWeb home forums. The kitchen forum is full of 100k kitchens (yikes!) but also a lot of great advice. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

Good luck! Keep us updated! I love this stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Yeah, wow, that is a ton of white! We redid our kitchen a couple years ago, but instead of replacing the cabinets, we simply sanded the existing paint down and re-painted them. Kept the tile, got granite counter tops and stainless steal sink. New paint went a long way to make the area look 100x better.

The main kitchen area, there is another cabinet/counter area to the back left corner of the picture. Oh, and the knobs on the cabinets are now stainless steel too.

__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM
umterps97's Avatar
umterps97 umterps97 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 537
Default

Cali, I was debating between tile and wood too. My contractor sent me to Lumber Liquidators, and they had a good selection of prefinished wood floors in a variety of stains. I almost went with a chocolate brown stained oak, but I had always wanted tile in the kitchen, so I stuck with it. I figure that I usually wear those fuzzy slipper socks in the winter, so hopefully the floor won't feel too cold!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM
chaospony's Avatar
chaospony chaospony is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 637
Default

I'm not much help but my dream kitchen has something like the feeding station at the bottom.
http://www.atticmag.com/2011/04/built-ins-for-pets/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Have you tried houzz.com? So much awesome eye candy!

Also, I always recommend the GardenWeb home forums. The kitchen forum is full of 100k kitchens (yikes!) but also a lot of great advice. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

Good luck! Keep us updated! I love this stuff!
Oooh, thanks for the links! I hadn't found either of those sites yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Yeah, wow, that is a ton of white! We redid our kitchen a couple years ago, but instead of replacing the cabinets, we simply sanded the existing paint down and re-painted them. Kept the tile, got granite counter tops and stainless steal sink. New paint went a long way to make the area look 100x better.

The main kitchen area, there is another cabinet/counter area to the back left corner of the picture. Oh, and the knobs on the cabinets are now stainless steel too.
What a cute kitchen! It really makes the white cabinets pop in contrast to the dark counters and floors. I'm not a big fan of painting wood, so I don't think we're going to go that route, but I'm definitely intrigued by all of you guys who have made white cabinets work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umterps97 View Post
Cali, I was debating between tile and wood too. My contractor sent me to Lumber Liquidators, and they had a good selection of prefinished wood floors in a variety of stains. I almost went with a chocolate brown stained oak, but I had always wanted tile in the kitchen, so I stuck with it. I figure that I usually wear those fuzzy slipper socks in the winter, so hopefully the floor won't feel too cold!
I have a runner down in part of the kitchen, and another throw rug in front of the sink, so I don't think tile would be so bad. And I so like the look of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
I'm not much help but my dream kitchen has something like the feeding station at the bottom.
Ahahaha, that's so cool! Lucy would be annoyed at being locked up (nevermind that I don't have a logical spot for it), but what a neat idea!

-----

Thanks so much for your input, guys! DH wants to play spreadsheets this weekend and crunch numbers and figure out what we have to work with, and then I can start seriously planning
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site