Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Top Dog

Am I saying people should water down working breeds? Can't see where I mentioned what a fantastic idea I think that is....

I don't understand the need to get a dog as a pup. I'msure you could find a shelter dog that's good with babies. Even if you get your puppy from a good breeder, there's a chance a puppy won't turn out right, regardless of socialization. You never know how a puppy will turn out, period, no matter how well-bred... many great dogs have produced culls.

Of course, it's up to you, and it's all purely a matter of personal preference. It's possible that my opinion might be colored by being too softhearted... It pains me to see people breeding simply for companion dogs when so many wonderful companion dogs get piled up into the freezer in the back room of a shelter every day. But that's just me.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Taxiderpy

So you're saying people who want companions don't deserve dogs from health tested, temperament tested parents?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
So you're saying people who want companions don't deserve dogs from health tested, temperament tested parents?
The majority of people feeding into this wolfy type don't care about temperament or health. They just want a wolfy looking dog to throw in the backyard and brag about. That's why Sibes, Malamutes, and other such breeds have a bad rap now.

I don't *care* about companion breeds. But I DO care about the market they feed, and what that market does with their dogs, and how they ruin everything for the rest of us good owners.

For example: Oh, everyone's ruined Chi's now. They're just ankle biting maniacs with a million health issues. So let's just create another breed to ruin! That totally fixes the problem. /sarcasm.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Top Dog

And I did find this quote:

Quote:
Ann Dresselhaus, creator of the Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (ANCD), began this breed from purebreds and mixes that she chose for foundation stock.
So it really doesn't sound like there was any true record keeping at all. Just whatever dog fit the bill.

Then this was said later on down the page:

Quote:
The ANCD foundation stock came from an eclectic mix of seven breeds. Dresselhaus used five dog groups/type, the seven foundation breeds being: Retriever group (the Black Lab), Northern working group (the Alaskan Malamute, the White Siberian Husky), Sheep Guarding group (the Great Pyrenees), Herding group (the White German Shepherd Dog, the Border Collie), and Sighthound group (the Greyhound).
I love how colors were main focuses on certain breeds/types.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Taxiderpy

I just don't understand why people hate the idea of making a new companion breed so much, when they're doing everything that people wish responsible companion dog breeders would do. Heck, they're disqualified from breeding if the dog can't pass the CGC. There is no other breed/breed in progress in the world with that type of temperament criteria. None of the toy dog clubs require that. No one. And really they should, since a good temperament is one of the most important qualities in a companion, right before good health.

Would you feel better if they bred them to look like ewoks instead of wolves?

ETA: How can you say color was the main focus when the foundation dogs are in the OFA database as well as have working and sport titles?

ETAETA: Here you can look at it yourself. They were even tested for MDR1 and everything.

http://www.offa.org/results.html?num=&registrar=&namecontains=N&part=& breed[]=ANC&breedlist=ALL&variety[]=&sex=&birthday_start_month=&birthday_start_year=& birthday_end_month=&birthday_end_year=&birthday=&r ptdte_start_month=&rptdte_start_year=&rptdte_end_m onth=&rptdte_end_year=&rptdte=&submit=Begin+Search
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I just don't understand why people hate the idea of making a new companion breed so much, when they're doing everything that people wish responsible companion dog breeders would do. Heck, they're disqualified from breeding if the dog can't pass the CGC. There is no other breed/breed in progress in the world with that type of temperament criteria. None of the toy dog clubs require that. No one. And really they should, since a good temperament is one of the most important qualities in a companion, right before good health.

Would you feel better if they bred them to look like ewoks instead of wolves?

ETA: How can you say color was the main focus when the foundation dogs are in the OFA database as well as have working and sport titles?
I didn't say it was the main. But it was obviously in there.

Breeder might have good intentions, but I still see this going downhill. Just because instead of EDUCATING this market, they are FEEDING it.

I checked OFA, but they are only updated to December 2011.

Quote:
CARDIAC 2 100%
DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY 1 100%
ELBOW 5
HIPS 7 14.3(%abnormal) 85.7%
MULTIPLE DRUG RESISTANCE (MDR1) 3 0.0 100.0
PATELLA 6
PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY 1 0.0 100.0
And if they are checking EVERY dog for EVERYTHING....those numbers don't really add up.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Taxiderpy

MRD1 and DM are both simple recessives, so if neither parent is a carrier then offspring are clear by parentage.

And you did say main focus. It was pretty clearly stated.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
MRD1 and DM are both simple recessives, so if neither parent is a carrier then offspring are clear by parentage.

And you did say main focus. It was pretty clearly stated.
Not main focus of the breed as a whole. One of the main focuses of the breeds selected to be foundation stock.

I guess we'll see in a few years. *shrug* Roaming across breeders websites, I found one where they are using a bitch to improve the Taskman breed, and other they are just breeding to an Alaskan Husky(Part Grey Wolf, mind you) and pumping out pups paid for with PayPal.

Honestly. Founder could have all the best intentions in the world, doesn't mean it's going anywhere.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post

I love how colors were main focuses on certain breeds/types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I didn't say it was the main. But it was obviously in there.
Uhm.... Just saying.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Uhm.... Just saying.
Romy said main focus of the breed as a whole. I was only speaking on the types/breeds of dogs selected for foundation.