Alaskan Noble Companion Dog

Kootenay

Uh oh, you guys asked for it!!! (I have about a million photos of him, and he's only 6 months old...). Should I start a thread for them in the photo section? (sorry very new here)

Kootenay

...I posted a thread with lots of pics on him in the photos section! Also one for my other baby, Jasper, who's a Rough Collie :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay I have a question. I know a lot of the other 'wolf without a wolf' breeds have had scandals or people sneak actual wolves in. The ANCDs I've seen have a few characteristics of actual wolfdogs imo. It really makes me curious and albeit a bit skeptical of the claim that there is no wolf in the breed.

Kootenay

Okay I have a question. I know a lot of the other 'wolf without a wolf' breeds have had scandals or people sneak actual wolves in. The ANCDs I've seen have a few characteristics of actual wolfdogs imo. It really makes me curious and albeit a bit skeptical of the claim that there is no wolf in the breed.
Yes, there do seem to be constant scandals within the wolf look-a-like breeds! I don't really like to get involved with the drama, I chose the ANCD because I like the look, the temperament, and the fact that they are very trainable and can be worked. They fit my criteria, and I'm very happy with my boy. I know that there are people who are skeptical of the no wolf claim, but from my experience Yarrow is no wolfdog :) He is quite an easy pup in most ways, and a joy to live with.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Was there any record keeping done? I really think a lot of the dogs I'm seeing in pictures look like low content wolfdogs. The stance, build, lack of a prominent stop, etc. I haven't seen a domestic dog breed with some of the features they seem to have. Even Saarloos and Czechs dont' look as wolfy and they do have some wolf in them. I'm just really curious, lol.

Anyways your dog is beautiful!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
But is there any proof of that? Pretty much every 'wolf look alike' breed that claims 'wolf without the wolf' doesn't seem to be the whole truth. Tamaskans for example...

ETA: There was a post above this that got deleted. I promise I wasn't talking to myself when I posted it...

Last edited:

cliffdog

I actually agree with Lyzelle a hundred times over on all of her posts in this thread. You can find dogs that fill that appearance niche in shelters and rescues EVERYWHERE.

What do I hear most from strangers in relation to my dogs? "Look mommy, wolves!!!" :rolleyes:

How did I end with a second one? Oh thats right, my best friend's mom wanted a pretty, super cool dog just like Lily... :rolleyes: And I do consider Scout pretty lazy by my standards. She requires a lot less mental and physical workout to be happy each day than Lily does. Lily starts chasing her tail if she's not worked hard enough every day, which isn't often.

I have no problem with purpose bred working mixes, but this? I can never agree to this. I don't care much for all the minaturized breeds either, despite fostering and loving Spaz the mini Aussie I still don't agree with minaturizing the breed. And even the creator of the labradoodle said he regretted doing it later...

Point is, breeds were all created for purposes and I think that when you no longer breed for purpose, you take away most/all of the qualities that gave those breeds balance, clear charachterists, etc. to begin with. If you say oh whatever its just a pet, we don't need the whole package of functional structure/health/drive/temperament and looks lastly then IMO you are left with a dog thats not nearly as good quality overall and the breed will eventually (or quickly even) go downhill because of it. Breeding for looks is the number one best way to ruin a breed of dogs and is IMO a **** poor basis on which to solely create a breed.

I also do not care at all for showline versions of the working dogs I love. That Sibe I keep seeing on campus is beautiful, but he is such a sad shell of what a Sibe should be... That love and drive for running and the cracked out prey drive is such a part of them is totally missing from him and its just incredibly depressing (though probably good for his safety given his **** poor owner always has him off leash... though remember Sibe rule number one, he probably will up and run someday... :rolleyes: ) to see that shell of a dog all for the sake of having a pretty ornament at your side. Just not okay man!

Compared to my crazy girl woo-ing at me and having spastic husky zoomies around the house this morning LOL.

The falsification regarding the Seppala lines here in the US is really interesting. Especially the ones that claim to be, but are obviously out of some other well known lines from how they are built/look.

I'm sure this lady has fantabulous intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell...
Excellent post. I completely agree. Don't we have enough shelter dogs that we don't need to create any new companion breeds? Why do people care about looks so much?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Excellent post. I completely agree. Don't we have enough shelter dogs that we don't need to create any new companion breeds? Why do people care about looks so much?
Because people have different tastes? Because people have different temperaments they like living with?

With one of the biggest reasons for people dumping dogs at shelters being "he grew bigger than we expected/ is too vocal / is too active / etc." why are people who claim to want to see dogs stay in forever homes so opposed to the creation of a variety of healthy temperament tested companion breeds with specific size and behavior parameters?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just fyi I asked a wolfdog owner/expert I know about them and got some interesting info. It seems like they do have wolf added recently.

cliffdog

Because people have different tastes? Because people have different temperaments they like living with?

With one of the biggest reasons for people dumping dogs at shelters being "he grew bigger than we expected/ is too vocal / is too active / etc." why are people who claim to want to see dogs stay in forever homes so opposed to the creation of a variety of healthy temperament tested companion breeds with specific size and behavior parameters?
There are dogs in shelters of all sizes and temperaments. Don't see one you like? Check back in a week. The majority of the ones you saw last week are dead and you have fresh stock to choose from.
There are a ton of breeds to choose from already. There are 60-110lb dogs that make great pets. But, oh yeah- they just don't have that perfect look you want, so they're no good.
(Generic 'you')

Romy

Taxiderpy
There are dogs in shelters of all sizes and temperaments. Don't see one you like? Check back in a week. The majority of the ones you saw last week are dead and you have fresh stock to choose from.
There are a ton of breeds to choose from already. There are 60-110lb dogs that make great pets. But, oh yeah- they just don't have that perfect look you want, so they're no good.
(Generic 'you')
Why don't we spay/neuter every companion breed if that's the case? People can just find new dogs in the shelter next week. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm having huge issues finding a 60-100 lb watch/guard dog with little to no chance of becoming DA/same sex DA upon maturity, and I don't want a grown dog because I want to socialize it and raise it my way (I have a 12 month old baby at home). And a shelter puppy is essentially a crapshoot in terms of eventual size/temperament. Even my friends who got a purebred GSD puppy from the shelter ended up with a 130 lb (NOT overweight) bitch, who had to be washed from SAR because of hereditary joint probs.

I find it ironic that the same people who scream about working breeds being softened up and watered down because people want companion dogs, also scream about people making new breeds specifically to BE companion dogs. Would you rather people breed the drive out of other breeds or make new ones?

Kootenay

People chose certain breeds for certain reasons and I don't think I should have to defend myself for choosing the breed that I did. Sure, it may still be a breed-in-progress and that is something that certain people have issues with, but every breed started somewhere. And the ANCD is bred to be able to work as well, not simply to look good. I looked for YEARS (and I'm not exaggerating one bit) before I found my "perfect" dog in the ANCD and yes that included looking in shelters.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I find it ironic that the same people who scream about working breeds being softened up and watered down because people want companion dogs, also scream about people making new breeds specifically to BE companion dogs. Would you rather people breed the drive out of other breeds or make new ones?
:hail::hail::hail:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I see no problem at all with this breed. It looks as if they're going about it responsibly, so more power to them. And I don't understand the argument about not creating a breed when there are dogs in shelters. Why breed ANY dog when there are dogs in shelters? Some people prefer a dog with a predictable ancestry, traits and known history. What's wrong with that?

They're breeding it to achieve a certain look and temperament to go along with it. What in the world is wrong with that? How is that somehow a less valid niche than a working dog? In the future, I believe looks and personality will become more and more important to dog breeding. Frankly, there's really not a lot of call for sheepherders, duck retrievers, livestock guardians and boar hunters nowadays. People complain about those breeds slowly having their temperaments "softened", yet complain just as loudly about people creating a different-yet-similar breed to fill the companion niche instead. I don't get it.

ETA: Romy said it first, LOL! And I agree 100%! In the future, I could see them developing an enormous molosser-type dog that's extremely friendly and non-DA, just like a golden retreiver. Or a sighthound-looking type with low drive and a less aloof temperament. Or perhaps even a good protection breed that weighs in at only 30-40 lbs, to work better in smaller city homes and apartments.

SaraB

I see no problem at all with this breed. It looks as if they're going about it responsibly, so more power to them. .
This. I'd much rather have breeders CGCing and health testing their stock than the typical BYBer pushing out poo puppies one after another. Pick your battles.

Pops2

Why don't we spay/neuter every companion breed if that's the case? People can just find new dogs in the shelter next week. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm having huge issues finding a 60-100 lb watch/guard dog with little to no chance of becoming DA/same sex DA upon maturity, and I don't want a grown dog because I want to socialize it and raise it my way (I have a 12 month old baby at home). And a shelter puppy is essentially a crapshoot in terms of eventual size/temperament. Even my friends who got a purebred GSD puppy from the shelter ended up with a 130 lb (NOT overweight) bitch, who had to be washed from SAR because of hereditary joint probs.

i'm a real working snob, but i gotta say i'd rather they make new companions than bring ruin onto a good working breed.

Pops2

With the major lack of info about them online, how did they get this information?
nothing on the internet about the real origin of the alapaha bulldog or the leopard cur either, but if you know the right people you can hear all about it.

Members online

No members online now.