Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I wouldn't force her/carry her outside in a storm, all you're teaching her is if she's scared, stay away from you or you'll take her to the scary thing.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

In addition to comfort increasing tools like drugs and the thundershirt, you might look into a counter conditioning program because drugs and wraps provide comfort and take the edge off, but don't fix the underlying problem.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/noiseshy...-2-cd-set.html
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Monkey, I'm glad you brought that up. It totally slipped my mind. I use to recommend that at one time. I've heard good things about it. Kudos for thinking of that! It's a definite possibility.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
In addition to comfort increasing tools like drugs and the thundershirt, you might look into a counter conditioning program because drugs and wraps provide comfort and take the edge off, but don't fix the underlying problem.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/noiseshy...-2-cd-set.html
I definitely try this, to kind of condition him. But once the booms get loud enough, he doesn't care about even the highest value food anymore.

Also, he can very easily tell the difference between real thunder and thunder from a TV show or CD. Are these CD's made to be more "realistic", perhaps? I just know that I can have my surround sound up pretty loud on my TV and if there's loud lightening and thunder on the movie/show I'm watching - he could care less and sleeps through it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Also it was way too easy to get Scout anxiety meds at the vet.

I'm a pretty peeved about that whole process actually because 1. I was not involved in any of the decision making about which one to put her on (though she did pick the one I thought would be our best option from my own research... I am still really mad about this and actually considering changing vets), 2. She didn't require to see Scout, didn't run any bloodwork, and verbally admitted to me over the phone that she did not read the anywhere near the whole behavioral history I provided, 3. There was no discussion as to possible side effects (some of which are very serious, like bone marrow loss from long term use or possible seizures in a small number of dogs) or any future weaning off when they've served their purpose working through her plateau (luckily I did my own research, but what about all those who wouldn't even think of being that proactive????), and 4. Well since she didn't read her behavioral history and obviously didn't actually listen to anything I said in our conversations, she doesn't know/care/think its qualified I've been working with her on behavior modification training (CU and BAT) with and without an experienced positive trainer(s) and she suggested a behaviorist, which hey I'm totally open to.... so I go pick up the drugs and referral.... yeah its the f'ing Sit Stay quacks!!! I am still really upset that they would even recommend that to dogs with zero issues, much less a dog with issues like Scout. What if it were some clueless pet owner who did go there trying to help their dog because they don't know any better??? Omg, that would destroy a dog like Scout. Ugh!

So far I see no change either way with the drugs. Maybe that'll change as I'm supposed to bump up her dose by starting twice a day instead of just once today.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Thanks, I kinda want to try the fireworks one. Lily hates fireworks. She might be too smart for a cd though lol. She just husky balls in my lap during them and eventually relaxes like a limp dishrag once she's laid on me long enough.

Hmmm you know Jackson's Mom, I think a big factor with dogs predisposed being freaked by thunder are the air pressure changes and atmospheric electricity associated with them. Also it may take a really, really long time of working subthreshold (i.e. at the lower level where he is okay) before he's ready to move up. Once a dog in counterconditioning gets put over threshold its turns into an ugly cycle of one step forward, ten steps back. Kinda like how Scout's current anxiety spike came about...

I know our old BC was TERRIFIED of them his whole life, even when he was almost totally deaf and old. He always started freaking out long before they even started. One time he got in the house (outside dog) somehow during a storm, no idea how as no doors/windows were open. He was a BC, maybe he just opened the door. LOL

My parent's current dog (also BC) is scared of them too, but I've seen them exacerbate it greatly in him by making a big deal out of it. Whereas he can function enough with me to listen to things
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Kaydee

I never saw those CDs before, I guess the idea is they gradually get use to the sound as no big deal. I've read they train soldier dogs similarly. I'm going to check out leashes on that site, might not have to special order like usual.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Kaydee

I feel for Sophie, she was AHS for three months before we got her. Picture huge dirty brick kennels and like 50 dogs in central holding. Then imagine a thunderstorm reverbing off the bricks, the dark and the other dogs all reacting in their own way. Canine chamber of horrors, I theorize if she wasn't afraid of storms before she got there, that probably did it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
not so newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
Have either of you tried a thunder coat? I'm tempted to buy one.

My Peanut will be 6 years old next week. About a year or so ago storms started to bother him. He's progressively getting worse. We don't even realize the clouds are getting a little dark, and he's already looking nervous. Once a storm comes in, he is shaking uncontrollably. I've tried massaging him to calm him down with no results.

I gave him a Benedryl the other day when it was a like rain coming which seemed to help a little. I may try it again before buying the thunder coat.
I love the thunder shirt...I have one for my girl and it's worked wonderfully. We also use it when she goes to the vet for her anxiety and it works for that also.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Love my pets

I sent you a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
If someone needs a size large Thundershirt, I have one I'd be willing to part with. I got it to see if it would help with Scout's anxiety issues and it does nothing for her. Its basically brand new, probably a few long fluffy hairs on it but thats it.