Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Default Raw Eggs

Anyone feed them?

Jackson does not eat a raw diet... but I gave him a raw egg last week (without the shell) and he scarfed it down.

I thought maybe giving him one raw egg a week may be a good "supplement". I know it's supposed to be good for their skin/coat.

Anyone else do this? See results with coat or differences? His coat is already pretty shiny and soft, so I'm not super concerned, but just thought it'd be a nice addition to give him weekly.

He eats Acana kibble mixed with wet food (usually Weruva or Canine Caviar) OR we'll just use a little bit of plain chicken breast or whatever extra meat we may have laying around or from leftovers.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

I feed raw but yes, raw eggs are given often

I know plenty of other kibble feeders who often use raw eggs too.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
such sights to show you

I give a raw egg once or twice a week. The yolk especially is very nutritious. Having said that, raw whites contain a substance called avidin that binds biotin (one of the B vitamins) so you shouldn't feed them every day, over time it theoretically could lead to a biotin deficiency.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Actually, as long as you feed the whole egg, not just the white, you are fine. The egg yolk compensates for it.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Actually, as long as you feed the whole egg, not just the white, you are fine. The egg yolk compensates for it.
I've heard this here and there but I think this is a myth and don't really agree with it. Partially because I've seen it happen to dogs fed excessive amounts of raw (whole) eggs, and partially because it makes no sense to me... there's no reason the avidin in the white can't bind the biotin in the yolk along with the biotin in other foods.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

It can....but yolks are VERY high in biotin. You feed them together the small amount that is bound by the white is inconsequential.

Everyone can do what they want of course, but to me it makes no sense for the whole egg not to work together...I am really big on foods in their whole state though, you start piecing them up is usually when you get issues as they are no longer balanced.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
It can....but yolks are VERY high in biotin. You feed them together the small amount that is bound by the white is inconsequential.
I'm interested if any work has been done to show this, because I literally have seen it happen to dogs. Do you have a cite? (Not trying to be snarky, honestly curious if this issue has been put to bed.)

Quote:
Everyone can do what they want of course, but to me it makes no sense for the whole egg not to work together...I am really big on foods in their whole state though, you start piecing them up is usually when you get issues as they are no longer balanced.
Well a couple of whole eggs here and there is a lot different than eating multiple raw eggs on a consistent basis. Almost nothing that is good for you, is good for you in excessive amounts.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

I feed raw eggs to my guys. I scramble the egg and mix it with the kibble, then I crunch up the shell and mix that in as well. I'm hoping a couple of eggs a week will help Keegan put on some weight; so far it doesn't seem to be making a difference, but he loves eggs and they're not hurting anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I... have no link but I read a recent study showing that the yolks actually DO NOT compensate for the avidin in the raw whites. I can look for the link but it will take me a while.

I either cook 'em over easy (if I'm already doing it for myself) or i just strain the white out through my fingers before I feed.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

Every link I find says the opposite of the other...

And yes, nothing is good in excess...but thats not what we are talking about when just the egg and if whites are safe to feed.

My dogs have always had multiple whole eggs a week and have never had issues.

eh, this sounds snarky and I dont mean it to be. From what I have seen adn read over and over there seems to be no consensus. Yes, I would not suggest feeding in excess...but that goes for anything as if you are feeding that many eggs something else is missing.

I know many dogs who get even an egg a day and have never had issues