Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Great read.

One of my issues lie in rescues that take on dogs that need an incredible amount of medical or emotional care. I've seen very senior dogs with a host of medical problems get pulled really fast, while 1yr old healthy mixes sit there. Granted they have the least chance of being privately adopted, but my opinion is that they should probably be put to sleep. I don't think it's fair to put them through 6 months of medical procedures, living in foster care, to pass on anyway another 6 months later from an age related condition. I don't think it's 'helping' them. I think probably if it was owner surrendered or dumped there, they couldn't afford to humanely euthanize, and expected that to be the outcome. I don't know...if a 6 year old and an 80 year old were drowning, and you could only save one, isn't the obvious choice the 6 year old?
I wouldnít say its the obvious choice. It depends on who the 6 year old is to you and who the 80 year old is.

I too have a hard time with what I call heroics when it comes to rescue. It does sometimes seem the more extreme cases get scooped up while the ďnormalĒ ones get passed over.

But then, rescue is also a very personal thing. We chose to pull a senior HW+ dane with behavior issues and leave all the other perfectly sound dogs there. Why? I donít know, it was as much an emotional decision as a logical one. I could rationalize it all day long, but the true, honest reason is that we wanted to help the dane just that little bit more than we wanted to help the other dogs. Harsh, but honest.
The other truth is that we were fully prepared to PTS if he didnít work out or if that funky leg he had turned out to be cancer. Honestly, I never expected him to still be here. I figured we had a few months, who knew three years later heíd still be here - thriving.

I think if we all do what we can do, and what weíre good at, it gets done. Iím good at big dogs, Iím good at certain types of behavior issues, but I suck at medical ones, so thatís where I put my efforts. Others are great at fostering or transport or fundraising or whatever. Iím not going to judge anyone for ANY effort they make. If we all did the same thing a whole lot more dogs would fall through the cracks.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Obey the Toad.

It was a hard post to read (emotionally), but very thought provoking and very true. I get so sad when I go to auctions and see all these old horses go through--most headed for slaughter. Many are sold by otherwise well meaning people who seem to believe that everyone bidding is there to buy old horses and let them live out there lives on a farm when the reality is often a stressful, horrible end in a foreign slaughter house. It's so much kinder to go an old horse that can no longer kept a quick, humane end in familiar surroundings.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.