Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I have very mixed feelings about co-owns. I have seen some where, for example, the buyer pays full price, must show the dog, but has no breeding rights, and I would never sign something like that. Why? Because it only benefits the breeder, not the owner. I mean, really, I pay $1500 for the dog, MUST show it on my dime, but you get exclusive breeding rights? That just doesn't work for me, maybe I'm too old school. I wouldn't do any kind of co-own stipulating that I must show/compete or have no breeding rights whatsoever.
^^ Pretty much this.

I have also seen way, way, way too many go unbelievably sideways to the point of court hearings to discuss who would be the physical owner of the dog.

There is also so much information that is straight up wrong about what a co own will by it's nature protect you from. It doesn't prevent breedings or even registration of offspring in boys or girls. It also isn't a stake claim in the dog that to my knowledge would be upheld in a court of law. All it does to my knowledge is give credit to the breeder in the show record and prevent further transfers of ownership on the registration form. Everything else must clearly be spelled out in contract and you better hope your contract is considered binding in the states involved.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I co-own Judge. His breeder has full breeding rights to him. I own him technically but she wanted to ensure he was health tested before he was bred as well as have access to use him in the future.

I co-own 3 of Judges puppies. That was to ensure there was no breeding done without fulfilling my contract first. As well as keep tabs on the intact puppies.

I also co-own a bitch with a friend, just to assure she has a place to go if something should happen to him. She can't go back to the breeder, they're a large scale breeder and would just resell her.

I would do a co-own in the ffuture with the right breeder.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have very mixed feelings about co-owns. I have seen some where, for example, the buyer pays full price, must show the dog, but has no breeding rights, and I would never sign something like that. Why? Because it only benefits the breeder, not the owner. I mean, really, I pay $1500 for the dog, MUST show it on my dime, but you get exclusive breeding rights? That just doesn't work for me, maybe I'm too old school. I wouldn't do any kind of co-own stipulating that I must show/compete or have no breeding rights whatsoever.
That is similar to the girl I passed on a few months ago. Granted I don't mind paying full price for a dog, but by god if I do, she should be mine with no stipulations involved. In the end depending on the stipulation picked, the breeder would have gotten $2,000.00 on up from me. Either straight out of my pocketbook for her, And/OR from selling puppies.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Granted I don't mind paying full price for a dog, but by god if I do, she should be mine with no stipulations involved. I
Exactly!

ETA: I mean, I feel if you're expected to pay full price, must show the dog, plus house/feed/vet it... but they get to retain extensive rights to it... They should be paying you for showing and boarding their dog! LOL

Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
I guess I would co-own a show/breeding dog. Especially if I wasn't at a good financial vantage point to take care of travel, show grooming, extensive vet expenses etc and the co-owners were fair about it - it might relieve some of the pressure in that sense. But otherwise I would prefer having a dog just be mine legally =) - no hassle or fights or conflict of interest with others!

I've NEVER heard of a co-own contract where the breeder paid for anything. Every contract I've seen, the owner is responsible for ALL costs involved in showing/health testing/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Well unless the contract states the dog can be "reclaimed", I think the owner would generally have to hand them over and could refuse to. However, if you send your co-owned dog away with their co-owner and the co-owner decides they want to keep the dog it could be very hard to get the dog back.

I have co-owned quite a few dogs over the years. One ended up with the co-owner/breeder wanting him back pretty much for the reason you stated - they felt he was too good of a dog for a a newbie to the breed and didn't feel I was showing him enough. I didn't give him back though, we had no contract and just a verbal agreement that if she wanted to breed to him she could. She was mad but there really wasn't much she could do. My other co-owns have gone well enough, other than really regretting agreeing to litter back terms with one.

The contract stated the dog could be reclaimed if being kept in unsuitable conditions. The breeder decided that crating the dog while the owners were at work constituted "unsuitable conditions" and used that as her reason to reclaim the dog.

Quote:
Exactly!

ETA: I mean, I feel if you're expected to pay full price, must show the dog, plus house/feed/vet it... but they get to retain extensive rights to it... They should be paying you for showing and boarding their dog! LOL

LOL now I like the sound of THAT!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I have no desire to breed, so I'd really only do it so I could keep a do intact if that was the only way

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I co-own Draco with the breeder. She is someone who I Totally trust! I would Never enter into a co-own without full trust in the breeder!!! I got a discount for Draco as he was to be shown. Now we feel he isnt breeding/show qualtiy, so unless he really comes together later he will be neutered and co-own taken off.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
[b]

I've NEVER heard of a co-own contract where the breeder paid for anything. Every contract I've seen, the owner is responsible for ALL costs involved in showing/health testing/etc.

I will pay for my showing and health testing, but if my breeder wants the boy collected then it will be in our contract that she will pay for it. I will also have breeding rights, but I have no immediate plans to breed and would never do anything without my breeders blessing
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

My co-owning experience was awful. I co-owned my Gordon Setter puppy with his breeder, and his sire's owner. I didn't know them that well, which probably had a lot to do with it. They were obsessive about knowing every detail of the puppy's life; They called me at least twice a week, if I didn't answer they would send me emails (and vice versa). If I took a picture of him that he didn't look fantastic in (I.E. any "candid" shots of him playing) they would insist I took them down. If he didn't win at a show, they would freak out and assumed that I must have made some mistake in grooming him, or he was underweight, or I shouldn't have entered him under a "bad" judge.

This dog started showing pretty serious dog aggression when he was about 17 months old. I took him to classes, trainers, behaviorists- and nothing. I worked with him until he was 3 years old, and then I finally decided that he needed to be rehomed. I contacted his breeders, told him what was going on, and they refused to take him back until he finished his championship. We finished him, and I found him a home with someone who lived on a big property with no dogs. He is really happy there, but I feel like that whole experience scared me off from co-owning with anyone I don't know.

Like I said, I'm guessing that it had more to do with the fact that I didn't know them, and they just weren't very nice people. I know not every experience is like that.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Dafuq?

Both of my dogs are co-owned, one with a contract. While nothing has gone epically wrong with my co-owns, I think whenever two people are actively involved with the same dog, there is the possibility of catching bad feelings. I have decided that my next dog will not be a co-own. The reason is simply that if I am doing the work, I want to make the decisions. If I have to get a signature for things as simple as an address change, insure don't ever want to go through the trouble of breeding a co-own dog. And I DO want to breed a litter at some point.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...