Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Twin 2

I know this isn't my thread but I actually had a question about this.

So there is a breeder who's contract is the dog is co-owned with 51% hers until altered. Is that common in co-owns? The 51% majority going to the breeder?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I know this isn't my thread but I actually had a question about this.

So there is a breeder who's contract is the dog is co-owned with 51% hers until altered. Is that common in co-owns? The 51% majority going to the breeder?
I've never heard of a co-own contract like that before. I would have to think long and hard before I signed a contract that the breeder actually owned more of the dog than I did.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira's a co-own. I could say how it's going well or not well but I think the best assessment would be this: we've talked about co-owning again in the future and may well do so.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
I've never heard of a co-own contract like that before. I would have to think long and hard before I signed a contract that the breeder actually owned more of the dog than I did.
Yeah, that was my thinking too. But since I know nothing about co-owns I didn't know if that was common or as unusual as I thought it was.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

I co-own Dance. There haven't been any problems per se, but as her breeder and I have virtually zero relationship, I'd rather Dance were mine outright. Her breeder is supposed to have breeding rights and I was supposed to show her and get her championship, but I gave up on showing her due to her temperament and how she was in the show ring when it was time for the judge's exam. To be honest, I'm not sure what made me decide to co-own... I don't think I put as much thought into it as I should have. But, live and learn I suppose. I've had a lot of "live and learn" moments regarding Dance. But anyway, I don't see anything wrong with co-ownership as long as you understand the contract and agree to it, but I also recommend only co-owning with somebody you're friends with or somebody you at least trust and know really well.

If I were to ever co-own again, which I'm not overly keen on, I'd want a co-own contract with no breeding rights. And no stipulations stating that I must put this title and that title on the dog. The only reason I'd even think about co-owning again would be so I could leave my dog intact for as long as I want to. Not sure of that type of co-own is common or not, but that's the only type I'd want to enter into in the future. But I'd strongly prefer just to own my dog and call it mine 100%.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Not yet, but our puppy we are getting will be co-owned and my breeder will want him collected and it will be in the contract. Now if he were not to pass his health test and/or not be confirmationally sound then he would not be collected, he'd be altered, but I have #1 pick boy for show pups..so its not something we need worry about. I have been on a wait list for a little over 2 yrs now, and my breeder and I have become great friends, she is amazing and we even talk on the phone now several times a month. I have no worries about my co-own with her.
Most Ibizan Hounds are co-owned, breeders like to keep their names on dogs in case something should ever happened and they need to pull one of their dogs from a pound ect
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
She co-owns her dogs simply so that if anything were to ever happen to their owner, the dogs wouldn't get "lost" in an animal control system or otherwise. She's NEVER "thrown her power" around and said what I can and cannot do with my dog, and as she says, "I only co-own on paper... it is YOUR dog all the way!"
I co-own Logan, and it's pretty much like this. She does say no breeding (as any good breeder would, especially considering it's the first time I have this breed, and I have no desire to breed anything any time soon), and to show him, but that's pretty much it. She has the right to breed him if she ever wanted to, but that's something I would let a good breeder do anyway, even if I didn't co-own. It's good to know that if anything happens, she's there for him. Of course my parents would take Gavroche, but Logan has too much drive and intelligence to sit at home 24/7 and be a fat lazy house dog. I'd rather he go somewhere where he'll have something to do.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
The Littlest Hound

I only co-own with a very close friend, Swagger is co-owned on paper, and Bear was more of a "he's basically your dog anyway", but we moved to CA from PA so they're both with their co-owner

Eerie lives with my ex, and unless he's returned the papers to UKC (we did both sign rights over on our respective dogs...) I still TECHNICALLY co-own her...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Yeah, that was my thinking too. But since I know nothing about co-owns I didn't know if that was common or as unusual as I thought it was.
Not what I'd call typical but there are all kinds of co-owns for all kinds of reasons. FWIW MOst registries consider co-owners to have equal rights to the dog.

I've Co-owned dogs and had it go well and had it go poorly. It's best to co-own only with people who share a similar outlook to your's in terms if breeding, especially with a bitch. I have a friend who ended up not even being able to fully register pups she kept from a breeding she did because of a co-own gone bad.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 AM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
Really eh? Anything you can elaborate on?

Everything from having the dog reclaimed for being too "high quality" and the breeder wanted it at their kennel, to having a dog bred against the owner's recommendations due to the dog's health and having the dog die in whelp

I've also seen some INSANE co-own contracts... like having to attend x amount of shows per year, regardless of the amount of shows within a reasonable driving distance of you... requiring that the dog be bred and puppy back deals, with no clauses for not passing health tests or not being able to title (which I think is ludicrous on a puppy anyways, since you don't ACTUALLY know how they'll turn out despite how nice they might look as a puppy)