Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Default Co-owns

Have any of you done them? What have your experiences been like?

Just curious.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 PM
...ice road...

I co-own all my dogs, except Ruger.

Bukra's breeder and I have become very close friends.. she's like family to me. She co-owns her dogs simply so that if anything were to ever happen to their owner, the dogs wouldn't get "lost" in an animal control system or otherwise. She's NEVER "thrown her power" around and said what I can and cannot do with my dog, and as she says, "I only co-own on paper... it is YOUR dog all the way!"

Peshamba's breeder and I are also becoming good friends, and I don't have any issues there either.

Jolene's breeder is pretty absent, but we chat now and then.

Zealand is co-owned until he is titled, and then he'll be signed over by his breeder. I had my worries at first about co-owning him... but it's turned out to not be an issue.

I co-own a dog who doesn't live with me, so that if anything happens to his owner he will have a safe place to go... and I also was supposed to show him for her, but they're moving now so we'll see how that goes!

I have been VERY lucky in my co-ownerships... I've heard some downright HORROR STORIES :-/
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I co-own Knox, but only in a verbal agreement. He's mine on paper, but his breeder and I are very close friends and have been for a long time.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

I actually co-own Mammoth with the rescue I got him from, which is sort of a weird situation. We occasionally butt heads about vaccinations/medications/treatments, but overall we haven't had any trouble with it at all.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

I am a breeder and I co-own any dog that leaves here intact. (I currently only co-own with 4 people since they are the only people I have trusted to do right with an intact animal.) I am very easy to co-own with. The dog is theirs and I don't interfere. The only thing I am firm about is that I have a say in whether or not the dog is bred and if so, to whom. I have had very good relationships with my co-owners and we stay in touch.

That said, if I were to buy a puppy on co-ownership, I would make absolutely sure that the breeder and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to raising and breeding. I would have to know the person well and trust them. If there were any yellow caution flags I would walk away.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

I co-own Ivan with his breeder a She is pretty much co-own on paper only. She doesn't interfere in the day to day stuff with him. In the 7 years I have co-owned him, we have become close friends.
I would co own again with her, not sure about others. I actually turned down a drop dead beautiful girl earlier in the year because I didn't like the co-own contract and the price that came with her. I thought there was way to many "conditions" to me getting her.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

I technically co-own Bailey with a juniors kiddo still. I just didn't want to pay to have her name taken off. She's a good kid who has her own dogs now!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Bubbles and Pentti are both co-owned, but I have a very good relationship with my breeder. Basically I'm allowed to do whatever I want with them, but have to consult him in terms of breedings since they are both intact. We email and I send pictures frequently and when we lived closer, I visited often.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Everytime I hear of co-owning I think of that horror story with that girl that was on forums and the dobie. When the breeder was supposed to get the dog back for showing or something the dog disappeared.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Interesting! I didn't realise that so many of you co-owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
I have been VERY lucky in my co-ownerships... I've heard some downright HORROR STORIES :-/
Really eh? Anything you can elaborate on?

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.