Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Air mattress. I'd probably go for a sofa bed being the next comfiest option.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Behavior Nerd

We have a midrange futon for guests - we too considered an air mattress, and have one, but the futon works better since we needed seating in the room we also use for guests.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm All Ears

I just have to say I'm jealous of the buying a house.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I have slept on all three. Keep in mind that I'm used to sleeping on really uncomfortable cots or bunks for SAR. And I can sleep just about anywhere.

Air mattress - I've had mixed results. Some deflated by the end of the night, some didn't. Either way, I didn't really see much of a draw there. They're not uncomfortable. But if there's a couch available, it's just as comfortable and a lot less of a hassle.

Futon - I've only slept on a few of these, and all but one were really comfortable. The one that wasn't was broken and kind of jabbed you if you moved too far to one side. But I always liked them well enough, they're typically pretty affordable, they have a dual purpose by providing seating for guests if you need that, and they're easy to clean.

Sofa bed - These are also comfortable enough, and they also provide seating, but they're not as lightweight (easy to move around) or as affordable.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Felurian

There are futons that are incredibly comfortable, even with innersprings.

But they aren't cheap unless you score one from a moving sale or something. Hickory Springs makes nice ones that aren't TOO high. http://www.hickorysprings.com/2008/supercenter.html

Of the three, on a budget, the air mattress is going to be more comfortable. An inexpensive sofa bed is generally nearly as uncomfortable to sit on as it is to sleep on Same thing is often true of futons, sadly.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Air mattress is probably your best bet in terms of space and cost effectiveness. And there are some pretty nice ones out there.

Just, please, don't buy an air mattress with those built in "pillows". That is the most uncomfortable thing EVER.

Although, I wouldn't count CL out on a sofa bed. Just a few months ago I bought a giant faux suede 7+ seater sectional with two recliners and a queen-size pullout bed... for only $250. It had a couple popped seams to repair and one leg needed to be tightened, otherwise in perfect shape. I'll admit I haven't slept on the pullout bed yet, but as a couch it is amazingly comfortable.

CL is also good if you are near a "high-end" neighborhood to watch for ads from. I can't tell you how many brand new pieces of furniture that I've seen practically given away on CL from the "rich houses" simply because they just were ready to change decor.

If I may ask, where are you looking to buy a house?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I just have to say I'm jealous of the buying a house.
Don't be, LOL. I'm about to have hardly any money for anything ever again until I get a new better paying job. I may end up ditching eating clean and start filling up on cheap grains again. =P Hello ramen noodles, let's become reacquainted.

I am definitely going to keep my eyes on Craigslist! I did a quick sofa bed search and came up with some decently priced ones, but they were all hideously ugly LOL. Not even sofa covers would have helped. I don't own a "real" sofa anyway, I only have a small dorm-type one I bought years ago. So I will need a real sofa at some point anyway. Maybe the stars will align!

Apparently the Aerobed is supposed to be very good and it's only like $200... not terrible.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I must have sharp edges...air mattresses always seem to deflate on me and I wind up sleeping on the floor...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I must have sharp edges...air mattresses always seem to deflate on me and I wind up sleeping on the floor...
Me too! I definitely haven't had good luck with air mattresses.

In my experience I've found that futons were the comfiest. I just asked my brother and he agreed with me. But I have no idea what they're like price-wise.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Wookie Collie

I say futon, but my guest futon is more epic than the average.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014