Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Default Roger update

Warning: Poop talk ahead, sorry!

We went outside and he didn't poop!!! I took that as a good sign, so we went on a walk (where he pooped twice, but it's starting to have a little substance to it) Good news though, he's starting to be able to hold it in, I think, since it's been 4 hours between poops instead of 1-2 like it was at first. Of course, he hasn't eaten since yesterday morning so that may be a big part of it...

I took him to the tennis court in my neighborhood that's always empty so he could stretch his legs without being able to jump the fence, and that boy RAN like the wind. He seemed so happy to have freedom. This dog is the king of derp face, bounding around like a bouncy ball with his tongue hanging out.

He is quite possibly the worst sight hound ever though. We passed a cat on a driveway on our walk, and while Lucy's straining at the end of the leash to get to it, Roger wasn't even aware it was there. It hissed, and he looked at it, then moved on. Lucy barked, kitty ran, and Roger didn't give him a second glance. That's okay though--made him a joy to walk, unlike my brat who tries to chase every squirrel and chipmunk and cat she sees!

I'm going to make him some rice here shortly to test the waters and see what happens...hopefully we're through the worst of it. If the poop issue is resolved, then things are going to be much, much better around here.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

So happy to hear he is doing better!!!!

I really think there is something else in there with the sighthound, esp if he has pretty much no prey drive. i know of beezers that won't chase at lure courses and lgra events..but not many that will turn down live prey.

Good thing is it will make him easier to adopt out from the rescue!

More Roger photos please?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

That is wonderful news!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Taxiderpy

Sounds great! Glad his bowels are getting under control.

And to answer your question that got buried in the other thread, some feed stores carry diatomaceous earth, and you can sometimes find it at health food stores. Just don't use the stuff from pool supply places because they add chemicals.

His pictures and everything that has been written about him make him sound just like Seamus, down to the horrible diarrhea. Seamus did end up having a grain allergy that contributed to the poo issue, but a huge part of that was also hot spots and a yeasty smell.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I will get some photos tonight.

He is the most awkward dog ever, contorting himself into tiny little balls where his shoulders and hips stick out at the strangest angles. SUCH a love bug though. He wants nothing more than for someone to rub his ears.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and ideas. I don't want to say things are all clear yet, but they're going in the right direction for the time being
Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
swimming upstream

glad to hear that things are improving--*crossing fingers that all "things" solidify* LOL!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm so glad to hear things are improving. I was starting to wonder last night if I should come back early. Let me know if you want me to grab him tomorrow night instead of Monday. I should be back by the evening tomorrow.

I miss him actually. I was thinking about him majority of today. I love that he is a total abnormal awkward misfit.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

Glad he's doing better. Hopefully the rice treats him well
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i sure hope things are over and done with in that dept .I can't wait to see the pics.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 PM
...ice road...

Is he still young? Boy brains take a lot longer to mature, and some sighthounds actually need to be SHOWN to chase things before they "get" it... so there's no reason to discount him just because he didn't want to pursue a cat

Glad to hear the poop is getting better! Sighthounds CAN be REALLY sensitive... so he may have just needed some time to adjust... though since he's going to be switched around some more, his discomfort might not be over yet