Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control?
My home has guns for safety or sport 26 54.17%
I don't have one, but feel it's a right 6 12.50%
I might have one if I needed it 2 4.17%
I wouldn't have one personally, but it's a right 4 8.33%
I don't want a gun and only police need them 4 8.33%
There should be gun control across the board 3 6.25%
When deer and bears can shoot back... 0 0%
Ted Nugent is out of his%#@&% mind! 1 2.08%
Tacos and Margaritas 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman-...ry?id=15285605

This story kind of underlines my feelings on gun control...if she didn't have a gun, her and her baby would have been injured or killed.
I remember that story and think of it in this kind of discussion too.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman-...ry?id=15285605

This story kind of underlines my feelings on gun control...if she didn't have a gun, her and her baby would have been injured or killed.
I am glad she had guns and knew how to use them. I do like her comment about "nothing more dangerous than a mom with her baby"
Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

And this thread is not complete without this Family Guy excerpt.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Kaydee

I suppose another question is if anyone has family or friends that have been victims of gun related crime. Wouldn't that change ones thinking greatly, either for or against? My best buds nephew died because he went to work the wrong day. It doesn't really matter if it was a legal or illegal weapon.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I suppose another question is if anyone has family or friends that have been victims of gun related crime. Wouldn't that change ones thinking greatly, either for or against? My best buds nephew died because he went to work the wrong day. It doesn't really matter if it was a legal or illegal weapon.
My husband has been robbed at gun point, and a good friend of mine was stabbed to death at her FACTORY job. It can happen any where with anything. There were no guns when Cane killed Able, people are very inventive with ways to hurt one another

As pointed out, some places with tough gun laws STILL suffer shooting deaths and lots of murders............Chicago comes to mind since I live close enough to pick up their news channels.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
But it does matter, no matter how emotion based your (general you) opinion is... Taking away my legally owned rifle will not stop the kind of violence we are seeing here...

For lack of a better analogy that's like taking away my pit bull because someone else's hurt or killed someone... It won't work...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Yeah, I posted earlier this year about a couple of acquaintances who were murdered in a cafe shooting. Again, if someone in the cafe had been packing there might have been more survivors. And the lady who got carjacked later that day would definitely still be alive.

And my cousin was stabbed to death recently intervening in a domestic dispute. I don't know how that could have come out differently either way, but it's another example of how people will still murder each other no matter what means are available to them.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Mitch & Erin

In Texas, you can walk into any pawn shop and buy a pistol, shotgun, or rifle with just an id. If you have a concealed handgun license, you can carry in your glove box. I honestly can't remember the last shooting we had.

Edit: a few years ago there was a big shooting on ut campus downtown. I don't remember if anyone was hurt.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Besides the obvious RIGHT to defend ourselves against slime who break into our homes or threaten our lives, let's not forget the biggest reason that we were given the right to keep and bear arms. That is to defend ourselves against a tyrannical government, should one ever get out of hand with it's control. That's what sparked the whole thing in the first place. If it weren't for that right, if the early colonists did not own guns when they came to America, there would be no America. We would have been at the mercy of a tyrannical government at that time. That was the whole point of breaking away and creating America. And that is why we have the right to keep and bare arms.

And all those points that were made by Romy, Sparks and others, I totally agree with. It's ridiculous to even dance around the issue whether or not we should have this right. We DO. And that is that. I'd fight to the death to maintain that right.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
In Texas, you can walk into any pawn shop and buy a pistol, shotgun, or rifle with just an id. If you have a concealed handgun license, you can carry in glove box. I honestly can't remember the last shooting we had.
Indiana gun laws are very similar (if not the same) as Texas. Thanks to the internet, back ground checks take a matter of minutes. Sort of like the improvement on mail order items

I do hold a life time concealed carry license, oddly enough, I don't carry my gun around that often, LOL