Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile Can a dog get a yeast infection?

My boyfriends mother has a basset hound and he smells really bad. When I first seen his neck, it was all red from him scratching it. Also I noticed that he had a foul odor coming from him. She told me that he has a yeast infection in neck. I mean there are days where you can't even go by him because he smellls so bad. And he has this green/yellowish stuff in his eyes. What can cause all of that? I mean can dogs really get a yeast infection on their necks or any part of their body?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Felurian

It generally is a systemic yeast infection. Read the information at www.greatdanelady.com . Linda Arndt's got the best info I've come across about the condition and how to treat it. Vets typically don't treat it very effectively.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-10-2004, 04:12 PM

Are they absolutely positive he doesn't have an ear infection? It will also have a horrible odor, and the dog will scratch wildly at his neck/behind the ear. I would have to wonder about the discharge from his eyes, too. Which makes me wonder if it isn't something else.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Big Dog

He propably has skin allergies which makes there coat itch and smell, ear infections quiet often come in tow with skin allergies, there are shampoos for dogs with these problems, or antihistamines sometimes help, you might consider a food trial?? some dogs are allergic to specific food. Talk to you vet if you are concerned, it can be treated