Baby Robin Help?

Hey all,

Pulled this little guy (below) away from one of the barn cats just now. He's a fledgeling but since he was being molested I didn't want to leave him. I called my usual rehabber and she's going to take him tomorrow morning but is there anything I should do in the meantime? Right now he is in a tupperware with a towel on top of it next to my lizard cage (it is approximately 80 degrees in the box where he is). I have waxworms and have fed him 5-7 but didn't want to overload him. He appears mostly uninjured but lethargic after being jogged the two miles from the barn to the house.

Is he old enough that he doesn't need a heat lamp? I've only ever had little ones and tend to leave fledgelings be but he was in a bad way.

Thanks in advance!
(his name is John Belushi)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't think the lamp would hurt him at all by any means specially since you do not know if he is completely uninjured or not. He would probably be ok without it too but warm is good. So is quiet. . Sounds like you have it all covered. For transport here it was suggested when I had a baby robin with a hurt wing from a lawnmower to put the bird in a brown lunch sack and fold it down until the bird could not flop about and hurt themselves greater. Worked like a charm for being carried and driven in the car. Good for you for saving him, he is a nice fat baby robin.

Thank you so much, Smkie! I just got back from the rehabber and she said he was in good shape: just a small puncture on his breast. But as you said he's nice and fat and she thinks he will make a full recovery (minus some of his dignity).

I ended up using a heating pad--I was a little worried that a lamp could dehydrate him as he was a little lethargic. He drank some water and downed a lot of waxworms (close to two dozen!) this afternoon.

He's a cute little bugger. We are always picking up critters around here and I'm glad this guy was save-able =)

K

Kaydee

I'm so happy you did so well, I've tried and they always bought the farm before morning...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ah fudge, there's an ex-forum member who just raised/is raising a baby robin. I wish she was here to answer!!

If you feel like you want to talk to her I can put you in contact with her through FB.

yoko

Ah fudge, there's an ex-forum member who just raised/is raising a baby robin. I wish she was here to answer!!

If you feel like you want to talk to her I can put you in contact with her through FB.
If it's who I think it is she's done awesome with him too!

Whoops forgot to revisit this!

Since I'm not allowed to push antibiotics I ended up giving her to the rehabber to eventually release: apparently this is the "G-d d-mn bounciest robin [she's] ever met in [her] whole life." His chances are looking good for eventual release!

Thanks again for all of your help =)

We get robins and other small critters fairly regularly (and one memorable evening, a baby possum!), and I usually raise them myself in the dog pens or turn them over to a rehabber if they're hurt/poorly. We've had good success, but this guy was way older than I'm used to for sure! At least next time I'll know my way around.

Members online

No members online now.