Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Felurian

It wouldn't be so bad if I can do it without getting OLD.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I'd love to live a long life, as long as I didn't have dementia or Alzheimer's. I love being alive... so as long as I'm relatively healthy, pain free, and with a sane mind, I'd love to stay around past the average life expectancy! I want to see the 2100s, lol, and talk about "kids these days!"

My grandmother (my dad's mom) is in her 90's. She started having kids when she was in her mid 30s! She's quite kooky (always has been), but she's doing well and is independent!

Ian's family are all very long lived. Hopefully we'll be old and living some place awesome with lots of dogs in our old age together!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm All Ears

I would love to live a long life but both sides of my family seem to die young. My grandmas are both alive, although one is doing poorly. They're in their 70s now.

If I could be like my stepmom's father, I'd love it. He's in his 80s and is just now retiring from farming and is going to travel with his wife. They're planning a month long yellowstone trip right now.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Yes!! Assuming I am in good shape. Both my grandfathers were independent into their 90's.

One grandfather died at 94 due to the hospital overdosing him on morphine after a minor surgery. He was independent and doing fine until his death.

My living grandfather is 91 and still lives with my grandma, has a full veggie garden and flower garden, still builds rock walls and has carpentry projects and whatnot.

I don't know how old my one grandma made it but she was mentally ill and had been hospitalized for years.

My other grandma got macular degeneration so is mostly blind, but in otherwise not bad shape, she's in her late 80's.

Part of my feeling toward it is that I believe there is nothing after death... your brain dies, you no longer exist, it feels like it did in 400 BC lol. So given that, I would love to make it to 2100 in good mental and physical health. I would be an oracle LOL.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Well I don't know. To be fair, my family started taking bets when I was nine on how old I'd be when I did something stupid and got myself killed. My mother was not amused, but I've outlived all but one guess! =P

I think I could enjoy life at any age, and I certainly am not eager to die, but on the other hand I certainly would not want to endure a long deterioration at the expense of my happiness and that of my family. I'd certainly rather die than lose my independence (although of course it's easy to say that now when I'm pushing 21 and relatively healthy).

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
There are many older people who are able to remain active into their later years.
Yep. My grandfather passed away a few months before his 100th birthday. He was healthy and active up until the day he died. Thoughts are he literally died of a broken heart, as his 2nd wife passed away after a long battle with a horrible disease that forced him to watch her go downhill just a few months prior, and he death pretty much destroyed him.

Quote:
To be fair, my family started taking bets when I was nine on how old I'd be when I did something stupid and got myself killed. My mother was not amused, but I've outlived all but one guess! =P
People were legitimately surprised I lived to 5, let alone 9, or 21 now. I'm stupid and accident prone

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

As long as I can take care of myself I'm good. If it even looks like I'm going to start going down hill I'll definitely be looking into someone putting me down. I don't want to be senile and unable to do anything for myself.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Kaydee

Let's see I'm fifty now. High risk of osetoporosis? Check High risk of melanoma? Check Smoking history? Check Alcoholic beverages beyond moderation? Check Heart disease and heart attack in immediate family? Check...
My Mom lived to 66, longer than any woman on that side of the family...I'd say I'm #@%&%#...don't want to outlive my hubby and want to know daughter and dog are taken care of...then peace out
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Blackout

Hmm with my relatives in older age it's not a seemingly gradual decline - they're fine up till a certain point then BOOM; their functions collapse, memory goes, mobility is shot, and things head steadily downward from there.

My grandfather was driving up till this past xmas - when he arrived home one night at 2 AM in a shocked state claiming he "forgot how to drive" - his immediate family decided it was time for him to stop getting behind the wheel.
The next monday a caretaker was hired to care for him and he has been in a not so great state since then.

It's not just the health issues though - I don't see the point personally in being around for so long. I don't plan on kids or a big family; traveling, leisuring, gardening etc would be great if I can afford it throughout my later years but honestly...I feel I have, am, and continuing to contribute the best that I can to the world, exploring and enjoying life, and just...yeah. If that seems shallow to anyone then sorry but that's how I see things for myself. Even if I was gone by 50 or my late 40's - I'd not have many qualms about leaving.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Long natural life? Yes. I'd be thrilled if I made it to/past 100.

Immortality? **** that ****. No way.