Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Blackout

Default Does "long" life appeal to you?

Thanks to modern medicine and general advances in society our life expectancies are at a all time high. Now a long life doesn't always mean a good one - especially in the later years. My family is extremely long lived - my grandfather is approaching his 91st year quickly - his younger siblings are well into their 80's and show no signs of keeling over anytime soon and his older ones passed away at very very ripe old ages (his oldest brother lived till 96).

But really...does a long life appeal to you?

My motto is "quality over quantity" - if I can maintain independence, health, good spirits, an intact mind and cognitive skills and still do have friends, things to enjoy etc - then sure, I'd totally be up for living as long as I could. But I don't know...living just for the sake of living or ending up in a care home or something isn't something that I'm really willing to accept; Realistically if I pass away at 65 or even sooner - I'd feel it a life well lived and an acceptable age to say farewell.

Coming from a Asian (Chinese) background there's so much cultural significance and focus on longevity - health and other things too but a great great focus on longevity in general. There's a thing where at birthday parties noodles are served and the noodles shouldn't be cut or mashed up with a fork when served to the birthday person as to not "cut" the long life wished apon said person signified by the noodles. So....for me saying openly that I don't want to be around till my 80's/90's is abit of a taboo and has earned me many hairy eyeballs from my relatives/extended family - well, that and my Hungarian Kuvasz too...
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
But really...does a long life appeal to you?
No, not at all. If I was absolutely guaranteed to live a relatively healthy and independent life into my old age, free of dementia? Possibly, but unfortunately that's unrealistic at best. I would like to think that if I were to live long enough to develop typically age-associated issues (unlikely to begin with, but I digress), and began to lose the ability to control my own body and mind, physician assisted euthanasia will be more broadly legalized by then and I would be able to take advantage of that option before I completely lose my dignity and quality of life. But, maybe that topic is for another thread...
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Obey the Toad.

Yes, it does.

There are all kind of age related illnesses that can happen in your 80's or 90's, but they can also happen in younger decades--you just have to practice healthy habits and cross your fingers I suppose. There are many older people who are able to remain active into their later years.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Based on my grandparents and assuming that my old age will be like theirs... absolutely My grandfather passed away at 94 years of age and had no issues. he was sharp as a tack, didn't really have many health issues, they lived on their own in their own apartment doing their own errands and everything up to the day he died.

My grandmother just celebrated her 90th birthday and other than a recent hip replacement (which she healed incredibly well from) she is fit as a fiddle and sharp as a tack and still living on her own (not truly alone now that my grandfather passed away). she's lived through some amazing times and has incredible stories to tell. she has 3 sons, 9 grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren (and counting lol). She's lived an incredible life and it's still going strong

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup cause I'm still going to be a badass at that age, me and my corgis.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Not particularly. I'd like to do what I want to do, have some rest, and then move on. And at this rate, that probably won't be past 40.

My family isn't healthy at all, I don't plan on having kids, I don't feel any reason to stick around after I've played my part. DH feels the same way I do.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

I'd love to live to be 120. I love being alive.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Felurian

Never wanted to live this long, lol. I'd always planned on being out of here a lot sooner.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
<--------Orson

Yep, I'll take whatever is given to me and be happy for it

My husband's paternal grandparents are 87 respectively. They still drive themselves around town, go to church on Sundays, go out to eat, meet their friends at Arby's for coffee nearly every morning, etc etc. I would love to think that will be me and Kevin at that age, sadly I doubt it..........but I can aim high if I want to! LOL
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

As long as my mind is still with me and I'm healthy, for sure. Why not? I definitely believe in quality over quantity, but I certainly wouldn't complain about a long quality life at all. And I hope the same for my family members.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM