Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Default Yes, I have a crazy dog

Took the dogs to the off leash park last night to do a very informal lesson. It was hot, brought water, gave them some before we went. Brought the ball and the one 'student' threw it a few times, but nothing out of the norm for my guys.

However I guess it was too much for Storee, who does not give in. The border collies found shade and chilled out as much as they needed to, but no, not the crazy golden. We did stop tossing the ball and the dogs all layed down in the shade while we chatted. When we went to leave Storee was having issues walking. So put her in the van, put some water on her and drove to the canal nearby and took her to cool off. By then she was much better but am keeping an eye on her for a few days, vet said to stop throwing the ball for the crazy dog.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Scary stuff! I having being extra careful when we go to the park, I don't think my one girl knows when to quit either.
I'm glad Storee is okay though!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

People always look at me funny when I say I got a border collie because the golden was too much.

I suppose I could 'beat' some of that drive down but it's too much fun. Having a dog who will push the buttons isn't always fun but it's interesting. I remember last summer at the trial when it was hot, she tried the gate, they had closed them (she figured out if she pushed on them, she could go for a swim). So she stood there and you could see her thinking, she got her leash, brought it to me and sat there wagging her tail. 'Mom, put the leash on so we can get out of here and swim!'.

Needless to say we'll be training a lot out there this summer, around everything else. Run the course first and get to swim as a reward, not as a warmup!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Felurian

Having trouble walking could have been a sign of heat exhaustion.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Having trouble walking could have been a sign of heat exhaustion.
Yep.

For future reference, you should never cool her off in a canal if she's having that many problems with the heat -- the cold temperature could throw her body into shock. You'd want to use a wet cloth (cool, not too cold) and wet down her ears and paw pads, to slowly cool her off.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13