Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Dad of Ohio Cancer Patient, 4, Denies Disney Trip (thru Make a Wish)

Quote:
An Ohioan says he blocked his 4-year-old daughter's Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World because he doesn't believe donations to the wish-granting organization should be spent on a child who appears clear of illness after two years of cancer treatments.

The Sentinel-Tribune in Bowling Green ( http://bit.ly/MG61Id ) reports McKenna May of Haskins completed treatment for leukemia but couldn't go to Disney because both parents had to agree.

William May of Toledo says he thinks trips should go to sick children in more dire circumstances than his daughter.

A Make-A-Wish official says the girl's treatment struggles qualified her for a wish.

Whitney Hughes says she's collecting donations at local businesses in hopes of still getting her daughter to Disney World.

McKenna's parents never married. Her grandmother says the father only recently received visitation privileges with the girl.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Well, the article is a bit "one sided", but from what I read, it sounds like the parents hate each other and this poor kid is stuck in the middle and that the dad is a bit of an asshole.

And "wishes" are not just for those on a "death clock". Sure, she's finished treatments, but this kid was through a lot. The foundation provides something good for kids who have been through hell and back.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Top Dog

This article is a bit different than the one I read yesterday, but I couldn't find it.

I'll admit that I always thought that the Make-A-Wish foundation granted wishes to dying children. So at first I could understand the father's sentiment.

This is one of those articles where one needs to dig deeper to uncover the facts.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Kaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
Well, the article is a bit "one sided", but from what I read, it sounds like the parents hate each other and this poor kid is stuck in the middle and that the dad is a bit of an asshole.

And "wishes" are not just for those on a "death clock". Sure, she's finished treatments, but this kid was through a lot. The foundation provides something good for kids who have been through hell and back.
The family court judge needs to respectfully tell this parental figure to %#&$ himself...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

If both parents were on board, I wouldn't see an issue with turning down the wish. I totally understand (and agree with) the idea that it should almost work like an ER, granting the neediest wishes first. But since I'm guessing you have to apply and be approved and the little girl knew all along this was going to happen and THEN dad intervened, that's pretty low.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Top Dog

Make a Wish is not only for children dying, its also for those who have been through hell and back and to be frank, just because she is in remission doesnt mean its not going to be a possible on going issue....best time to go would be when she feels well enough to actually enjoy it!

My little brother got two wishes...once when he was really young (4 or 5 I think) and we all went to Disney World. Then when he was 15 or 16ish we were granted another one (different wish company) and my mom turned it down stating that we already have received one. Their response was as long as he had been battling, and with all our family goes through with him we deserve another one.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

Greenmagick, I realize that now.

I think it's pretty low of the father to just step into the picture to deny this girl this trip, especially since it doesn't seem he's been involved all that time.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post

Pretty much my thoughts.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

I'm sure the organization knows what they're doing and selecting the right kids for wishes. I think the dad is just being an arse.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
and Fozzie B!

Dad is a dick. IMHO.

I don't care about his motivations (but the fact that he's just now getting visitation to his child definitely suggests that he's an a-hole)... no one deserves to get cancer. A child DOES NOT deserve to get cancer. A 2 year-old child!? Omfg! That little girl has been through hell, has spent her developmental years sick and fighting, she deserves a little happiness more than anyone. Maybe the fact that he was not there for his daughter, witnessing her illness, makes it hard for him to fully realize what she's been through. And who's to say she won't get cancer again? She deserves to have as many fun experiences as possible now that she's healthy.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie