Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Mitch & Erin

Default American Eskimo Information

Hey everybody, so Erin and I have pretty much set on trying to get a Chi soon. But she LOVES Huskies and Eskimos, and I just found an Eskimo puppy on Craigslist. I'm just looking for information. Temperament, Grooming, Etc. I've always been concerned about having winter dogs in Texas, but I'm told that they do fine, is that true?

I know it's a long shot, mainly just because of our allergies, but I'd like to at least get some information before I have to be the bad guy and tell Erin no.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Eskies can be awesome dogs. Nice drive, super awesome personalities, smart, and brave. I am sure they'd be okay in Texas but i wouldn't shave them, they have pink skin under that coat and it can be pretty hard on them to regulate their temperature and prevent a sunburn that way. Also they shed a lot so I bet they may aggravate your allergies?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Eskies can be awesome dogs. Nice drive, super awesome personalities, smart, and brave. I am sure they'd be okay in Texas but i wouldn't shave them, they have pink skin under that coat and it can be pretty hard on them to regulate their temperature and prevent a sunburn that way. Also they shed a lot so I bet they may aggravate your allergies?
I would never shave one! Their coat is so beautiful! I would probably just try to keep it short, and try to keep the second, winter coat from growing. Allergies is the main thing I'm worried about. I really don't know if Erin and I would be able to handle it.

Also, how active are they? I really don't know. We live in a smallish apartment, but there's tons of parks (there's one across the street) and I'm more than happy to take the dog out for a few hours a day.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Glutton for Crazy

They are versatile dogs. Great off-switch but can keep up nicely energy wise. I haven't been around a lot of them for years but my first dog-job was for an eskie breeder and the thing I remember the most was their circus-like intelligence and agility, second was their barking. LOL
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
They are versatile dogs. Great off-switch but can keep up nicely energy wise. I haven't been around a lot of them for years but my first dog-job was for an eskie breeder and the thing I remember the most was their circus-like intelligence and agility, second was their barking. LOL
That's awesome! Well, maybe I'll look into trying to go and play with the puppy and see how our allergies do. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

I personally wouldn't go for a breeder on CL though. There are reputable breeders out there, most aren't likely to advertise puppies for sale on CL, they'd be on club listings etc. and take wait lists before the pups are born. Be careful!

You wouldn't want to shave, or keep the coat short, it damages the coat. Get a groomer to thin the coat out, we've done it at work for hairy dogs and they don't look much different when finished but have a lot less hair. Right now there's a shaved BMD and a golden and the BMD really looks awful, his coat is frizzy and nasty looking and picks up every burr out there.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
I personally wouldn't go for a breeder on CL though. There are reputable breeders out there, most aren't likely to advertise puppies for sale on CL, they'd be on club listings etc. and take wait lists before the pups are born. Be careful!

You wouldn't want to shave, or keep the coat short, it damages the coat. Get a groomer to thin the coat out, we've done it at work for hairy dogs and they don't look much different when finished but have a lot less hair. Right now there's a shaved BMD and a golden and the BMD really looks awful, his coat is frizzy and nasty looking and picks up every burr out there.
This isn't a breeder. It's just a guy who can't take care of his puppy.

Thank you for the grooming info. That's good info to know.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I'm not sure what you mean by "keep it short and keep the second winter coat from growing" but I wouldn't do that either. They need all of their coat barring neatening of the feet/feathers. Blowing coat seasonally is natural, important, and shouldn't be deterred.

What you do want to do is brush, A LOT, with a good slicker brush and then a greyhound comb several times a week, and around every 4-8 weeks, have the dog de-shedded thoroughly by a good groomer. No furminators, no cage driers, just a warm bath, brushing, and the hand drier to blast out the dead hair. You can easily learn to do it yourself as well, and just go to a self dog wash that lets you use a hand drier. But that routine is what will keep shedding to a minimum AND protect the dog for the Texas heat and sun.

That said, not a good breed for those who don't like shedding or suffer from allergies, even with the best of grooming routines.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
logArror

I have thought and have removed the message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by logArror View Post
I have thought and have removed the message
What message?