Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Active Pup

Default Having rabbits as Pets

hildren are attracted to rabbits for they are cute and furry and of course due to the influence of the very popular bugs bunny. We often ask ourselves, are rabbits safe as children’s pets? Well, the answer to that is both yes and no. Rabbits are safe for they are mild mannered and affectionate but they can also be potentially harmful when not properly taken care of and also remember that rabbits belong to the rodents family so they are also susceptible to diseases and even rabies.

Here are some basic information about rabbits that everyone needs to know before having rabbit as a pet:

1. Spaying and neutering is advisable to rabbits. It extends their lifespan and prevents them from acquiring diseases. It also lowers their aggressions and mood swings.

2. Rabbits are social animals so you need to give them much time. They can also interact with dogs and cats if introduced properly.

3. Rabbit pellets are not enough. Rabbit needs to have fresh leafy vegetables and hay as well.

4. Rabbits are not recommended for active young children for they may got harmed when picked or played with. Rabbits are sensitive and fragile.

5. Rabbits likes to be near with their owners but does not like being held most of the time. The prefer to be just on the ground.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Mitch & Erin

It's also fun to take them outside. We had a harness and leash for my sister's rabbit. He loved going to the park.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 AM
& the Muttly Crew

P.S. Rabbits aren't rodents. They are Lagomorphs, like pikas and hares. Which are both orders not families.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
P.S. Rabbits aren't rodents. They are Lagomorphs, like pikas and hares. Which are both orders not families.

Not quite sure why this post is here, but I'll add to it:

Rabbits not only don't handle heat real well, but also shouldn't be sprayed down with water. To help keep them cool, you can offer a frozen bottle of water for them to lay against, or a ceramic or granit tile for them to lay on. You can also spray some cool water on your hands and rub it on their ears. A fan blowing towards them works, too.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Because the OP says that rabbits are in the rodent family. That statement is incorrect.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Sit! Good dog.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I'm debating on getting a rabbit for the kids, my dd really wants one (or a bird, and I can't stand birds as pets, so it's rabbit). My only concern is the dogs, not sure how they'd take to a bunny. Or rather I know how they'd take to a bunny and it wouldn't be so good.

Perhaps when we're on an acreage we can look at rabbits and chickens....
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
^^^this
Old 07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Because the OP says that rabbits are in the rodent family. That statement is incorrect.
Oh, no, the thumbs up was for you setting that straight. I meant I didn't know why the OP posted his post here. Sorry for the mis-understanding!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Oh, no, the thumbs up was for you setting that straight. I meant I didn't know why the OP posted his post here. Sorry for the mis-understanding!
I saw your post on my tiny phone screen and for some reason I would have sworn that was a scraching-head smiley (like this sort of thing: ...even though that's not a default smiley here...)...had no idea that was a thumbs up. Sorry-back for the misunderstanding lol.