Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Default RMR Testing/diet stuff

Anyone have an RMR test done on them? My dietician wanted me to do one and so I went in last week and had it done. It was... surprising to say the least. It said my body needs at LEAST 1700 calories a day or I will start to shut down my system. It seems like a LOT to me as they always told me to hit 1400 cals or so based on my body weight and age.

I'm getting really frustrated. Haven't lost but a few lbs since starting to eat better and working out. I am finding I really binge eat and then go long periods without food and am having trouble with that. I know the simple solution is to just STOP and spread out food more. I focus almost all day on what I eat and when and I know that can't be healthy either. I'm starting to wonder if I have an eating disorder on top of the PCOS. Apparently binge eating is common for pcos people to have together.

For example today up until 1ish I ate 210 calories all morning and worked out 45 minutes at 11:30. I ate a 550 cal lunch (at one) which is good. Then got home and wasn't hungry at all. Decided I couldn't skip dinner and just started eating. Then can hardly stop. I still feel famished now after stopping at my daily calorie intake. I always intake a huge portion of my calories at night, which can't be good. I really want to eat now but know I need to stop. I cooked more food and it's sitting there, I think I'm going to throw it away and take a bath then go to sleep just to try to avoid it.

Haven't talked to my dietician about the binge eating. I know I am smarter than to do this... I really am at a loss though. I asked on my PCOS board but got no answers to my thread. I feel like this may be overly personal but I am really hoping for some advice or something.

I am also having trouble feeling dizzy and FREEZING cold after working out. I think it must be not enough calories prior to working out.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Have you had your thyroid checked? Blood pressure? That dizziness and being cold like that should be checked out. What kind of calories are you eating? If you eat a ton of fiber...like veggies galore, that fills you up and gives you lots of vit/min etc which tends to make me feel better anyhow, plus plenty of protein which isn't too fattening. I try to limit things like bread and pasta, but I don't completely eliminate any food group. (including chocolate. lol) The binge eating is a decision. Just figure out how much to eat at each meal and snacks so it comes out at the calories you want and make it healthy. I also have a problem wanting to snack on things that are less than healthy and it hits me at night when I'm watching tv or something. It must be some kind of restless thing. But during the day I'm too busy to bother with snacking, but do grab some lunch.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Have you tried eating a smaller meal every couple of hours? Maybe eat breakfast at normal time, then eat something small (like some fruit or yogurt) in between breakfast and lunch. Then eat lunch, and have some carrot sticks or something a little bit afterwards. I know that there are some days when I'll eat a big lunch and I really have to force myself to eat dinner... but if I eat a smaller lunch and a healthy snack in between dinner, it makes me feel better (and keeps me awake!).

If you are focusing on food all day, being able to eat little meals more often would help, I'd imagine. That way you wouldn't have to think about going longer periods with nothing in your stomach.

ETA: Do you have caffeine before working out? I know that will make me have cold sweats and dizziness when I exercise. I also have to make sure I have something like Gatorade so that my blood sugar stays up.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Top Dog

I have trouble binge eating when I am going through super stressful times.

What I found that helped is to plan out EVERYTHING you are going to eat the next day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'll make sure to find really low calorie stuff that I can have to munch on all day. For me as long as I was chewing I was fine. So gum and sun flower seeds kept me busy and eating between meals without being too horrible for me.

Don't ever get mad at yourself for it. This is a real issue for a lot of people. You can stay on top of it but it does take some extra planning.

I do also have splurge days. Sunday's are my splurge days. I don't go insane but I'll definitely buy a not super healthy meal and enjoy.

Also for working how have you tried toning your work out down a little bit? When I first started working out I could definitely push myself but I was miserable. But once a week sometimes twice I'd step it up if I felt like I could go longer. If I had been walking 10 minutes and felt good afterward I changed my routine so I was doing 15 minutes. When I first started working out I could walk at a pretty fast pace for 10 min before feeling like I wanted a break. After doing that for a week or so I noticed I wasn't winded any more so I stepped it up to 15. Did the same thing, walked until I could do that comfortably. I went from definitely being winded after 10 min of fast walking to now I can jog for 40 minutes no problem and can even throw in minute sprints.

If you slowly work up your stamina I think you might avoid some of the issues you are running into. I know when I first started I tried to do too much too soon and just didn't feel it. When I started in slowly and built my stamina I definitely started feeling the extra energy from exercising.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am also having trouble feeling dizzy and FREEZING cold after working out. I think it must be not enough calories prior to working out.
You're on metformin, right? Those some signs of lactic acidosis. You might want to at least talk to a doctor about it, because it's VERY dangerous and taking metformin is a MAJOR risk factor. That fact that it's after exercise would have me very worried.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Have you had your thyroid checked? Blood pressure? That dizziness and being cold like that should be checked out. What kind of calories are you eating? If you eat a ton of fiber...like veggies galore, that fills you up and gives you lots of vit/min etc which tends to make me feel better anyhow, plus plenty of protein which isn't too fattening. I try to limit things like bread and pasta, but I don't completely eliminate any food group. (including chocolate. lol) The binge eating is a decision. Just figure out how much to eat at each meal and snacks so it comes out at the calories you want and make it healthy. I also have a problem wanting to snack on things that are less than healthy and it hits me at night when I'm watching tv or something. It must be some kind of restless thing. But during the day I'm too busy to bother with snacking, but do grab some lunch.
Yep all been checked out. I have PCOS and everything else checks out fine. I'm on metformin for the PCOS though.

If I eat a lot of vegetables, I feel very nauseous. No idea why, this is also a recent thing. I love vegetables. I am really having trouble keeping calorie intake up and keeping vegetable intake up. If I eat a lot of veggies, my cal count seems to go really low. I'm eating some whole grains but no white. Lots of protein and fruit. Struggling on the veggies though lately.

I feel GREAT while working out and immediately after. It's about an hour afterwards that I get shaky and dizzy and start getting very cold. I was cold for a full hour after working out (like needing to be wrapped in a blanket and still getting goosebumps today). No caffeine except very early in the day, which is a glass of tea most days. I also have found downing a powerade zero (they are free at my gym) after working out DOES help the feeling of dizziness pass pretty quick.

I always hear people talk about emotional binge eating and that's really not the case with me. It's a very physical kind of hunger/cravings. If that makes any sense.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I always hear people talk about emotional binge eating and that's really not the case with me. It's a very physical kind of hunger/cravings. If that makes any sense.
Do you have to actually swallow food? Or does stuff like gum help?

Maybe try smoothies. Do you think that would that give you a full feeling and help any?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
You're on metformin, right? Those some signs of lactic acidosis. You might want to at least talk to a doctor about it, because it's VERY dangerous and taking metformin is a MAJOR risk factor. That fact that it's after exercise would have me very worried.
Yeah I'm on met and had thought it might be causing some of the issues. I have a Dr appointment next month to talk about how the met is doing. Maybe I'll call sooner than that. I really can't remember feeling that badly after working out before being put on the met. I used to work out all the time and not have these problems at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah I'm on met and had thought it might be causing some of the issues. I have a Dr appointment next month to talk about how the met is doing. Maybe I'll call sooner than that. I really can't remember feeling that badly after working out before being put on the met. I used to work out all the time and not have these problems at all.
I'd probably call sooner rather than later. It can be life-threatening.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Do you have to actually swallow food? Or does stuff like gum help?

Maybe try smoothies. Do you think that would that give you a full feeling and help any?
Sometimes mint gum will help but it's about the only thing. I usually get such strong pains in my stomach when I feel hungry that I'm very nauseous. I've had off and on nausea since I was in junior high and mint always seemed to help.

Even right now I know I ate enough calories today (right at 1800) and yet I still have a dull ache in my stomach that is trying to convince me I'm hungry and am feeling slightly nauseous. It's almost constant that I feel this way.