Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Pet Sitting Cost

How much would you pay for an in home pet sitter (comes to let the dog out, gives walks, feeds, whatever you ask)?

I have always watched for a couple of my neighbors and always just let them give what they want. But I'm thinking of putting up some signs around the neighborhood since I don't have a job and it would be good to make some money. I'm watching an elderly Golden right now and am getting $25 a day (that's what the owner offered). I come over in the morning for bathroom, feeding, and medications, then the afternoon to bring her to the lake for an hour, then in the evening to let her in (she is kept on the deck after going to the lack so she can dry off) and I spend some time with her, and finally before bed. Does that sound like a good price, I'd be sort of embarrassed to put up a sign saying I'd sit for less after they are paying me $25, they'd feel sort of scammed I guess. They'll definitely see the signs.

Also, would it be a flat rate for any number of dogs or should it go up a little bit as the number of dogs increases?

Then I'd also be offering to sit for cats and small animals (rodents, reptiles, birds) and I'm not sure what to charge for them either. Obviously they are less work than most dogs, require fewer visits. And I have no idea what I'd do for a combo of species

Soooo, I'm just clueless when it comes to pricing stuff, I don't think I could handle doing a yard sale because I wouldn't know how much to charge for anything lol. Just looking for opinions and experience with sitters you've used, though it might vary by area a bit.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I charge $20/day, $100/week, if I'm staying at their house (which includes them providing food or leaving food money) If I'm traveling to their house multiple times, it's $10/30 mins I'm there. That's for up to 2 dogs OR unlimited cats.

As far as cats go, $10 a litter clean added, cause litter boxes are gross

I've only ever done rodents and lizards as an add on, and they take nothing so I don't charge for that. If it was rats I probably would charge cause they are more hands-on. Ferrets I've only done for the rescue, who charge $7/day a ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

$20/day is about average. If you had to administer meds or clean cages or something, maybe $25/day
Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I only pet sit for a select few people (neighbors/close friends) and I just let them pay me what they will. BUT, I would not feel like I was charging too much if I requested to be paid $20-$30 a day, depending on what all is required of me. I'm typically paid $10-$15 a day on average.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Another thing to take into account is what other people charge.

Honestly, I'm on the higher end for around here for a weekend or anything less than a week, but have managed to make people believe I'm worth it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Hmmm... I pay $15 for a 45min. visit, three times a day.. So $45 per day.

Anyone want to pet sit for me in September? lol!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hmmm... I pay $15 for a 45min. visit, three times a day.. So $45 per day.

Anyone want to pet sit for me in September? lol!
YESSS.

Work makes trips undoable right now My boss needs to come back. NOW. I hate her job

Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
YESSS.

Work makes trips undoable right now My boss needs to come back. NOW. I hate her job
Booo That would be SO COOL.

Well, make her come back!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Booo That would be SO COOL.

Well, make her come back!
Hmm.... when would you need to be booking a pet sitter?

She's *allowed* to come back after the 17th of July, so I'm assuming we'll hear SOMETHING by then, and I've been meaning a trip out that way...

ETA: Yah, totally just realized it's already the 8th of July. OMG MY BOSS MAY BE BACK SOON.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I always house sit in addition to dog sitting, and I charge $30/day. If it's far from work, I add on gas costs. Keep in mind that I leave their house cleaner than it was when I arrived, and I do quite a lot with their dogs.