Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,330
Default Your training methods (luring/free shaping/other)

how would you describe your dog training methods/philosophy? I'm always curious about this kind of stuff and I follow a few of you chaz people on youtube and it's interesting to see how people train!

So..do you lure? free shape? other? how would you go about teaching something new? any corrections? tools?

go!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,685
Default

I 100% free shape everything. There's just something cool about watching a dog figure things out. The disadvantage to this is that I have dogs that refuse to be lured, so if I ever do try to lure them they look at me like I'm crazy. Things like Zuma's backward leg weave would have been a lot easier if she would lure but she wouldn't. I'm ok with that though, I ended up with a leg weave that didn't need anything faded and I'm happy with the results.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,602
Default

I'd say about 80% of what I do is free-shaping. The other 20% is luring and staving.
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Default

With Traveler is was a mix between free shaping, luring, body position and thinking about it really hard because he reads my mind.

With Didgie so far I've been completely hands off and free shaped everything.

Tools would be markers and odds and ends around the house to use for them to interact with and lots and lots of food, fun and toys.

My philosophy pretty much has been to have fun, enjoy yourself and make sure your dog is right there with you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'd say about 80% of what I do is free-shaping. The other 20% is luring and staving.


I mostly free shape. Mu and (surprisingly) Murphy are really good at free shaping. Tipper is pretty good and getting better. I used to lure a lot but Mu's shaped behaviors are 1000 times more solid than the lured. I am a convert.

I use no reward markers but I try really hard not to use physical correction.

Quote:
My philosophy pretty much has been to have fun, enjoy yourself and make sure your dog is right there with you.
I like this.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM
SpringerLover's Avatar
SpringerLover SpringerLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B-ville
Posts: 3,151
Default

I free shape to the extent that I have specific set ups for specific competition behaviors. I don't shape things like heel position because it tends to be sloppy no matter how you try to "fix it." I teach the position using a pedestal with me moving into correct position first and work from there.

I do lure fold-back downs because so few dogs are reliable about offering it and it's something I want on cue early on, rather than the sloppy sit first down.

So, I free shape about 95%, and use tools to get the correct response. I lure about 5% probably?
__________________
Megan and the Aroha English Springer Spaniels
To Infinity and Beyond! ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC 5/4/1998-5/20/2014
The Hallway Monitor Bailey VCD1 RE NAC NCC TN-N CGC 14 years
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Maliraptor's Avatar
Maliraptor Maliraptor is offline
Bite me.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California- The Desert Part
Posts: 820
Default

I lure, maybe 90%. Freeshape 10%.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
I lure, maybe 90%. Freeshape 10%.
Me too - I think it has to do with the sport we are in
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Me too - I think it has to do with the sport we are in
me 3 and it does. I learned that lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
jenv101's Avatar
jenv101 jenv101 is offline
Bite Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,581
Default

Yeah I've mostly lured with Riley. I did recently free shape him putting his front two paws on a marker (a mat or box/basket). He gets way to excited though. I ended up with a big bruise/scratch on my leg because he tried to get his paws on the mat one day before I could even put it down on the ground!
__________________

~Aura & Riley~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site