Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Oh it's definitely not even the city as a whole... I live in the ghetto XD. It's most likely a neighborhood thing

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Well, here's the thing: If my dogs are enjoying an hour or two of fun time, and they're being loud (vocal) about it, get over it. However, I would not leave them out 24/7 to bark, howl, and whine.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM
such sights to show you

An hour or two? I don't think that's acceptable. I mean, if they are playing for an hour or two and intermittently being loud that's one thing, but if they are noisy for an hour or two straight I do think that's rude. Around here I think the ordinances generally specify more than 5 minutes continuously as nuisance noise.

Maisy and Squash can be pretty dang loud when they play, but I do interrupt them every few minutes if they're being super loud.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Sass, I don't mean continuously screaming/barking/whining for a solid hour or two. Heck, that would drive ME insane! I just meant that if they were out there making noise off and on, "get over it".

My old neighbor used to mow his grass at 6:30 in the morning. Since our homes were close together, it always woke Cole and Carson (both as babies) up in the morning, as well as myself.

I've never complained about my neighbors mowing their grass early in the morning, nor when they were working on a wood project that required me to listen to a hammer and saw for hours on end.

People's activities make noise. My activities just so happen to be my dogs. You have your noise, I have mine.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

I dont let my dogs bark continuously but yeah, they bark when they play and they are allowed to. Thats part of living in a neighborhood, noise from people, dogs, cars, etc. Again, not continuously for hours or anything but otherwise, no, dont complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
ETA: oh I yell at kids to STFU all the time. There's a school yard for screaming, or the park.
This bothers me....children most definitely should feel free to play (including being loud) in their own yard!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post

ETA: oh I yell at kids to STFU all the time. There's a school yard for screaming, or the park.
First time I've ever been grateful for my neighbors.

I don't mind kids being kids and playing loudly, squealing, yelling or running around at all. That's what being a kid is about! And I equally don't mind dogs playing in their own yard making dog playing sounds.

There is one dog that lives in the buildings across the street (on the third floor so sound carries nicely) from me that has the most ear splitting yip ever and feels the need to bark at EVERYTHING that moves and doesn't stop. And to be honest I don't really care (makes my dogs look better) except that he sets off all the other dogs.

But yeah. my dogs bark. They're dogs. In the house I don't care and outside I keep the repetitive "I'm barking at you because you are there" down. But the barking while chasing or having zoomies and the overall noise fun times consist of? Free reign and good times.

And yeah, it's a neighborhood. That's the point, a lot of people live there and have kids, dogs and people existing so noise is going to happen and if you really can't deal with it, well then I wouldn't live in a neighborhood.

My dogs having crazy time might annoy someone but that same someone annoys me when he mows his lawn, uses his power tools and listens to the stereo starting at 7am. But, oh well. That's what happens when you live by people.

I know it must depend on where you are but I can't imagine ever being somewhere where you're yelled at because your kids and dogs are having fun in your own yard
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

I'm paranoid that our dogs are going to irritate someone.

What really scares me is that there's a dog sort of across the street that has a bark that sounds just like Elsie's, and they let it bark from 9AM to 5PM every single day (probably while no one is home). I'm afraid someone will take that out on Elsie by mistake.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Sass, I don't mean continuously screaming/barking/whining for a solid hour or two. Heck, that would drive ME insane! I just meant that if they were out there making noise off and on, "get over it".
That's what I figured you meant, because one or two hours of continuous noise... holy cripes. I'd kill my own dogs over that.

I'm very fortunate that pretty much everyone on my block has a dog and several have kids. So nobody gets bent out of shape over normal dog/kid noise. I don't care if your dog makes some noise, you don't care if my dog makes some noise, within reason of course.

Although there used to be a dog across the street we nicknamed "Barky Pete" because he did bark pretty excessively. I don't think anyone actually ever complained about even him, though, and eventually they moved away.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Sometimes I think people just have too much time on their hands. We've dealt with stupid neighbors over the years who just literally enjoy complaining. They're usually stay at home moms with older kids who literally just having nothing else to do lol. This same woman who used to complain about our dog was out every morning at 6am pounding field hockey balls against a big wood thing she made specifically for field hockey.

I'd understand if your dogs were being absolutely a nuisance. But honestly? If you're going to live in a neighborhood, you're going to have to guess some neighbors will have dogs. If the dogs just bark 24/7 for no reason, that's a different story.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Early in the morning(before 9) and late in the evening(after 9) I expect my two to be quiet. In between those two times, I allow more noise. I don't allow it to be continuous though especially if they are barking because someone is walking down the road or they are demanding something (Ivan). I figure if the neighbor can hammer away for hours on end and the kids across the road can be loud, then occasionally so can my dogs. Besides my two are no where near as annoying as the tiny tiny Chi with her shrill rapid fire bark.