Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

Default Am I worrying too much about ticks?

I am so paranoid this year about ticks! My girls got the Lyme vaccine and they are on preventatives but my vet said he has seen quite a few ticks this year that just aren't deterred by the preventives. Ticks are supposedly really bad around this part of Ontario right now and some people have contracted Lyme disease in the area.
I find myself really limiting the places I take my dogs and I hate it. There is so much great stuff to do and great places to go outside of town, but in the end I keep making the descion to be better safe than sorry so we don't go hiking or to the heavily wooded dog parks.
I have two weeks off work starting next week and I would love to take the girls to some super fun places and maybe even camping for a few days but those ticks and their nasty diseases are really putting a damper on things.
Is anyone else super cautious or am I just being overly so?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

I'm completely the opposite. I also have dogs who don't tend to pick up ticks.

Neither are vaccinated or on preventatives. I run them both in the woods and meadows daily. They are short coated, and I check them carefully every night. Meg has had 2 ticks ever. Gusto 1. All three were dog ticks, not deer.

I've had to battle Lyme's twice with my horse, but neither dog has ever gotten it. I don't know, I'd rather be able to enjoy my dogs and have them enjoy life, then to live in fear.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
such sights to show you

Just to put things in perspective for you a bit, dogs are very different than people when it comes to Lyme and other tick-borne diseases. Only something like 5% of dogs who are exposed to Lyme disease will get sick from it, and it doesn't generally tend to cause the same kind of chronic problems in dogs as it does in humans - so some tiny fraction of that 5% will ever have serious complications.

I don't LIKE ticks, so I use a spot-on and Bug Off garlic. But I don't do the vaccine and I don't really worry about it, I just keep my eye out for any symptoms.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I'm completely the opposite. I also have dogs who don't tend to pick up ticks.

Neither are vaccinated or on preventatives. I run them both in the woods and meadows daily. They are short coated, and I check them carefully every night. Meg has had 2 ticks ever. Gusto 1. All three were dog ticks, not deer...
Same here. We don't do them daily, but do go on a fair amount of wooded hikes. I think I've found 3 ticks in 6 years on Caleb (walking, not attached).
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

dogs have been surviving with nasty little ticks around for thousands of years. I think most of them tend to be just fine. Sure it's no fun when something bad happens, but what fun is not living life because of fear of something not at all likely to occur?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

We live in tick heaven. Today I pulled 4 off of Bates, one hugely engorged on off of Breez, another engorged one fell off Lunar as I was petting him, and 2 off Biko. I also pulled one off the back of my daughterís knee. This summer Iíve pulled probably 5 or 6 off myself - those are the attached ones. Iím not even counting the ones you just flick off.

Nobody is vaccinated - not humans or dogs. Frontline & advantix donít do jack squat for ticks, so we donít use them either. All I do is dose the dogs with MSM daily, to keep their immune system strong, tick checks daily, but otherwise we just live with the ticks. Some years theyíre bad, some years theyíre awful. This has been an awful year...
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

A few summers ago, I went out with Romeo, Skye, and Zoie to a park. It was a little mucky, and the dogs were going into the brush to sniff here and there. Skye was on a long lead, and I thought she was kicking up little mud droplets onto herself..until I started feeling things moving and dropping on ME. I looked closer and all the 'mud droplets'...were ticks! There were hundreds in probably a 15 minute span of walking. They were falling from the trees onto us too. It was so terrible, I was in tears trying to get them off by the car. Zoie ended up with lyme shortly after that, of course it is very hard to see them on her.

So I really don't go into the woods too much anymore..I stick to more open and mowed parks.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
and Fozzie B!

^^ I have to agree with you!!!

It simply is not worth it, to me, to just run around in tick territory. I still have lots of fun with my dogs... they DGAF if I take them running in a mowed, grassy field or in a wet, overgrown field. Both are tons of fun to them. Look into dog sports, disc dog, tricks and other fun activities that don't risk you or your dogs getting infested with ticks. I know the camping areas that are completely tick-free, and also those that are swarming with them. I try to stay in really cold, cleared out areas for camping (up in tahoe usually), and stay away from wet, humid camping areas (the coast has ticks galore). I am afraid of diseases, but mostly I just have a serious tick phobia... taking them off dogs at work makes me cry. I'm a groomer. I can't believe some of these people, who act like their dogs are worth $10,000 and are little princesses. Meanwhile, they have a dozen engorged ticks all over them. Ew.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Look into dog sports
Keep it indoors though if you are worried about ticks. Several agility trials I go to have buckets of soapy water next to the in gates for depositing ticks you find on your dog as you are waiting.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
and Fozzie B!

Oh yuck... you must really be in tick country!

All of the agility practice/trials I've been to have either been indoors or in a very cleared out, tick-free area.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie