Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Kaydee

Default Modern Dog-Training Mistakes

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/art...mistakes/29092

Happy to say I'm not guilty of any of these mistakes, Sophie has indeed trained me very well!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Think of it: you’ll rarely see hunting, agility, Frisbee, or law enforcement dogs being offered food rewards during training or job performance.

Are they joking? I train in agility and I see an awful lot of treats used during training. Not every dog wants to work for a ball or a game of tug. Yet even though I use tons of treats in my training, I can still take my dog out to a trial and run her around a course with no treats.

Likewise, if she gets something right, instead of erupting with shrill pomp, just calmly praise her, smile, then move on.

This whole section banks on all dogs being alike. That acting super excited will take your dog over the top. Try training a low drive dog in agility. You NEED to act super excited for everything they do.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

Likewise, if she gets something right, instead of erupting with shrill pomp, just calmly praise her, smile, then move on.

A shrill pomp? I pull out cheerleader voice, the happy dance and a **** parade. And that's the way we like it! Lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
A shrill pomp? I pull out cheerleader voice, the happy dance and a **** parade. And that's the way we like it! Lol
You and me too! I was whooping and clapping so much for Gusto the other night, I think people thought I was a lunatic. I run agility. I like my dogs high drive (as high as Meg gets), and pulling against the reins to do something, anything to get them a cookie.

Yes, a cookie. Nutter Butters are Meg's favorite. Or cheeseburgers. Gusto dies for hot dogs. I train my agility dogs with food - heaven forbid!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM
BusterLove

lol. I aim for a "reward experience" that involves me. Quinn can do all the calm sittign and quiet pats she wants when we're not training. Training is meant to be fun, exciting and worth doing again. its a party!
When I did my training course parc we worked a lot on using praise as an indicator for the dog. Your release could be quiet boring with nothing to follow if the dog gives you a half assed performance, if they do great then sqeal and run and play and create a point of difference to the dog. our tone can be a great enforcer, why not use everything we have at our disposel.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

Elsie caught the frisbee for the first time ever this evening at the park, and I went nuts clapping and jumping and running around with her.

Then she caught it twice more in a row, and was super pleased with herself. <3

For Elsie and me, calm praise isn't real praise.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

dum.

(extra letters)
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Twin 2

Yeah, there is always a party happening when I'm training. I'm more calm when doing something like stays or something that needs to continue and I'm giving verbal affirmation that they're doing the right thing and should continue it (like a good, good, good, YES *Party time*)

I can see if you have a dog that gets super over aroused and over threshold easily keeping things more sedate to try and reign them in but for the most part if we're training there is loud high pitched squeals, running, jumping and food getting shoved in their faces. And I like it that way.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 PM
such sights to show you

I am SO peevey about the treat thing. Because who cares if someone relies "too much" on treats and/or has to make sure they remember to bring them everywhere? If a person can remember to put the collar and leash on the dog and bring poop bags for outings, why on earth is it such a challenge to make sure they have treats on them, too?

And I'm definitely in the "enthusiastic praise" camp the vast majority of the time. Unless I'm specifically trying to set a calm, sedate mood (i.e. "settle") then I'm probably trying to set a happy, enthusiastic mood.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Yeah, no. We have a lot of LOUD parties over here

And lots of treats! (Kimma and Bubbles are food motivated, Pen is mostly toy but a little food motivated)

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)