Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I hope it's nothing but I would be concerned too. I read online (recently I was knee-jerk concerned about Sloan) that you'll see abdominal swelling as well...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Agility freak!

There's no abdominal swelling and the discharge isn't consistent... Doing some more research. Having a tricky time convincing Mom to let me take her to the vet to be checked, and since Mom's my main source of income right now, I'm pretty much up **** creek without a paddle without her help.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

A breeder I was recently in contact with had a bitch come down with pyo. For all intents and purposes, she thought the breeding had been successful and she was just showing signs of pregnancy. It wasn't until she went in for an ultrasound to check on puppies that they realized she had pyo.

If anything, just taking her into the vet for a general exam wouldn't hurt, and it shouldn't be out too much money. Then if the vet thinks further testing is warranted, you can decide that then.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Is the discharge clear? Based on what you've posted so far, I'd say chances are pretty good that she's going through a normal false pregnancy since she has no other alarming symptoms.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Is the discharge clear? Based on what you've posted so far, I'd say chances are pretty good that she's going through a normal false pregnancy since she has no other alarming symptoms.
It's ... straw coloured, I guess. Though it's more like there are sometimes strae coloured ...gobs, for lack of a better word, where as other times there's some more runny like discharge that's clearish.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sounds like an infection of some sort?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Agility freak!

That's what I've been wondering, too. But Simi doesn't really lick herself, either, and I've seen the sort of gobs before now on and off and never paid any special attention to it (I swear I'm not a perv, she just flops over onto her back a lot!). The swelling in her mammary glands seems to be going down, though...

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

If the discharge has color I'd be concerned. Of course, the second of my two emergencies thus far this weekend (I'm on call) was a pyo surgery (closed, though, so no discharge) so I'm probably extra cautious.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sounds like an infection of some sort?
That's kind my thought... That it could be vaginal infection (as opposed to pyo).

While it's possible for a bitch get pyo on her first heat, it's pretty unusual. It's far more common in older, never-bred females. My coworker has a Frenchie bitch that gets a vaginal infection after EVERY heat, likely just because when she's all swollen up, bacteria gets in there and... there you go. A round of antibiotics clears it up no problem. I would definitely go to the vet, though, if possible.

You have my sympathy, though. The other morning I hallucinated that Keeva has some discharge and she's about 6 weeks out from the end of her heat, so I was like, NOOOOOOOO. I don't know what I thought I saw while I was half asleep but there's definitely nothing coming out that end of her, LOL.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I hope it's nothing but I would be concerned too. I read online (recently I was knee-jerk concerned about Sloan) that you'll see abdominal swelling as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
A breeder I was recently in contact with had a bitch come down with pyo. For all intents and purposes, she thought the breeding had been successful and she was just showing signs of pregnancy. It wasn't until she went in for an ultrasound to check on puppies that they realized she had pyo.

If anything, just taking her into the vet for a general exam wouldn't hurt, and it shouldn't be out too much money. Then if the vet thinks further testing is warranted, you can decide that then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
If the discharge has color I'd be concerned. Of course, the second of my two emergencies thus far this weekend (I'm on call) was a pyo surgery (closed, though, so no discharge) so I'm probably extra cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
That's kind my thought... That it could be vaginal infection (as opposed to pyo).

While it's possible for a bitch get pyo on her first heat, it's pretty unusual. It's far more common in older, never-bred females. My coworker has a Frenchie bitch that gets a vaginal infection after EVERY heat, likely just because when she's all swollen up, bacteria gets in there and... there you go. A round of antibiotics clears it up no problem. I would definitely go to the vet, though, if possible.

You have my sympathy, though. The other morning I hallucinated that Keeva has some discharge and she's about 6 weeks out from the end of her heat, so I was like, NOOOOOOOO. I don't know what I thought I saw while I was half asleep but there's definitely nothing coming out that end of her, LOL.
Ahhh the joys of owning an intact bitch. And I mean bitch. Enzo was unbearable when she was in heat. Had her spayed at two though.