Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Glutton for Crazy

How did they know he was a Bassett coyote mix?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

I agree that sometimes it is just plain off the wall guessing, or stupidity. For what it is worth, a few of the fairly reasonable explanations I've heard:

1) Someone clicked the breed above or below the one they meant to. Proof reading would help, but some of the off the wall listings I've seen make sense when you look at what comes before or after the breed alphabetically.

2) They actually know one of the parents. As others said, genetics do weird things.

3) When you know one breed is pretty obvious, you put that. If you put a second breed in, the dog comes up on twice as many searches. So you do the best you can guessing on a second breed.

4) They are going off temperament to an extent. I actually find that a really good reason. For instance, if you have a dog that looks like a lab, but is very serious, showing signs of protective instinct even in a shelter environment, and maybe has a touch of dog aggression - you don't want that dog going to the average lab home. They won't be happy, and neither will the dog. You may very well get it back. So you throw it up as a rottie mix. People looking for a rottie may be looking for exactly those traits that are going to make a lab person nuts, and they may be willing to forgo the rottie appearance.

5) People are bat-crap crazy and have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Top Dog

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear that I was referring to two different dogs!

Argon, the dog in the picture, is the son of the bassett hound. His father is unknown, though it must have been a whippet or IG because he looks exactly like one. Another pic of the bratdog. When Mom nursed the puppies, it looked like she was being swarmed by praying mantises (mantisi? Mantis')

Gambit is my coydog. He was genetically tested by someone doing a study on hybrid animals. His mother was listed as an aussie by the shelter, though she looked like a short coated border collie and was solid sable merle like him. I didn't see her, as she was already in 'sanctuary care', though I was shown a picture.
The coyboy

I need to get a sig made with both of the boys in it, but they are both convinced that the camera steals souls.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

I even had a friend who's dog she was convinced was a Sloughi mix. Now I don't think it's TOO far fetched for some rarer breeds, as they are more likely to be kept intact, but...a sloughi?

Hey look I have a pic of her.

And then my friend was convinced she was like, Sloughi wolf hybrid. She is a big girl but I'm quite convinced it's neither sloughi nor wolf. My guess would be some shepherdy dobie type mix.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm All Ears

What would you think if you saw this dog labelled as a husky mix?

littermate:

Another littermate:

And then the mom:

Genetics can be a funny thing...

Last edited by Laurelin; 07-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

I think I've posted this before, but I had two sets of puppies.

These two were horribly cute, but I would guess grow up to look like very different breeds. The blonde might be considered a pit mix and the brown maybe aussie mix with a bit of a coat. The mother was an ORANGE shorter haired chow mix, father unknown.

And these two..you would consider the short haired a pointer mix, and the longer haired an aussie mix. The short haired girl had serious ivermectin sensitivity.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
such sights to show you

Haha, thanks for posting those pics Laurelin, I was just about to do it myself and you saved me the work. The other thing that's not totally apparent in those pictures is that mom is about 50ish# and both the boys are around 80-85#, although one of their brothers is around 45-50# like mom. This litter has really changed my perspective on guessing breeds based on appearance alone.

ETA: I've recently been told that there is a rather... prolific American Bulldog "breeder" with progeny all over the state where Linney was at the time of her desecration (Alaska) and the puppies have a similar "look" to his dogs. So that's a possibility that would make sense at least. Who knows, though, since Alaskans have all sorts of breeds lurking in the background. Technically no matter what his father is he is still considered an Alaskan husky anyway since it's not a pure breed and you can intentionally mix whatever you like into your lines. I like to tell people who ask me what he is that he's an Alaskan husky and watch their faces go O.o

Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Haha, thanks for posting those pics Laurelin, I was just about to do it myself and you saved me the work. The other thing that's not totally apparent in those pictures is that mom is about 50ish# and both the boys are around 80-85#, although one of their brothers is around 45-50# like mom. This litter has really changed my perspective on guessing breeds based on appearance alone.
Was it an oops litter, did they know the father? I'd say they both look very much American Bulldog.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Yeah Squash and co have taught me that the best breed guesses are still only guesses. I know if I saw him without knowing the whole story I would never have had husky cross my mind.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:06 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
ETA: This dog is listed on petfinder as a deerhound mix... because that's what the DNA test came up with. *facepalm* Yet more evidence they don't work.

Here, have some more:

http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.ed...s/dna-results/