Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Default Where do people come up with this you-know-what?

I find it pathetically amusing to see what people label dogs in rescues and shelters.

For instance, this is a "Mastiff mix":

o_O

This is an "American Bulldog/Mastiff mix":

This is a "Fila Brasileiro":

This is a "Belgian Malinois/Anatolian Shepherd mix":

This is an "English Bulldog mix":

This is an "English Bulldog":

This is a "Rottweiler/Husky mix":

This is a "Rottweiler mix":

This is a "Rottweiler":

Last edited by Miakoda; 07-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'd buy the last one. LOL

Honestly I agree but most rescues and shelters are run by volunteers who are less concerned with dognerdiness and more concerned with finding homes.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
This is an "English Bulldog mix":

This is an "English Bulldog":

[/IMG]
LOLFOREVER

*obligatory lower case*

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

I know some really do try. And I understand that there is a steady stream of dogs coming in that need to be processed as efficiently as possible. But still. It's like they write all the dog breeds on scraps of paper, toss them into a ginormous bowl, and just pull out one or two to label the next dog that comes in. I also think, that for some, it's fun to try and come up with the rarest breed and/or breed combo and label a dog as such. And then there's the blatant mislabeling because some feel it would help get the dog adopted/adopted faster (you can label a Coyote as a Cairn Terrier/Shepherd mix all day long, but it's still a Coyote).
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
LOLFOREVER

*obligatory lower case*
Exactly. LOL

I have never met someone who didn't know what an English Bulldog looked like, and yet the people that labeled those dogs.....well, I cringe to think about it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post

This is an "American Bulldog/Mastiff mix":
^^^ If this dog were at the Toronto Humane Society (located in Ontario where we have BSL), they would have labelled it as a "Bulldog Mix" or "Mastiff Mix" if the dog was on the larger side. Anything at the THS that remotely resembles a bully breed (as long as the dog was not grandfathered when the BSL was introduced) is deemed a bulldog mix.

When I was looking at rescue dogs I found that for a number of dogs you could make out one breed pretty clearly, whatever else was in there was pretty much a mystery. Instead of just leaving the dog as a Shepherd mix or whatever the more prominent breed was, the dog would end up as a Prominent Breed/[insert any breed because we need two breeds to have a mix] mix.

On a side note: a lady who I knew from another message board was interviewing a guy who wanted to adopt one of her fosters. He asked her what her track record was on labeling fosters with the correct mixes. Like the dogs parents were supposed to just walk into the place and be like "Yup that's one of our puppies, I'm a Chow and his mother is an Akita. You got that one right!"
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I here ya Mia , I refuse to work with a local rescue after they labelled a Pit mix as a French Bulldog, and i emailed and asked and was replied to in an aggresive and deeming manner , like I do not know exactly what type of pits are coming out of the byb's around here , and she then said i would not be able to adopt from them because clearly I dont knwo what i am talking about.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Squishy face

Well, the "mastiff mix" at the top looks like he could be part swiss mountain dog, and swissies are a large breed, and typically random large breeds are tagged "mastiff mixes".

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Resident fainting goat

I know a lot of places mislabel APBT as other things.. ESPECIALLY the shelter in Miami. Which is understandable.. Pitts are banned so at least it gives them SOME chance of adoption.

but yea, those are a little erm..odd lol the sheer AMOUNT of lab mixes in this world truly is astounding lol lab mix is basically the blanket term for "we have no idea" haha
Old 07-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Top Dog

I had a foster that they said was a rottie mix. She had an aussie textured coat, natural bobbed tail, aussie head and a gsd body and markings. But no tail and black and tan meant rottie. I suggested they change it as she came from the reserve and the natural bob tail doesn't happen in rotties...